Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Trip to Montreal and Quebec City

Sueb20
last year

DH and I are planning to visit Montreal and Quebec City in October. We are thinking we'll really try to "live it up" for this trip since we haven't been on anything that feels like a Real Vacation in a long time. The two hotels I am looking at are the Ritz in Montreal and the Fairmont Le Chateau in QC. Any experiences there? Or other hotels that you like better?

We have never been to either city, which seems crazy since it's really not that far from Boston. We will most likely drive straight to Montreal, spend a few days there, then head to QC, and then on the drive home from there, maybe stop somewhere halfway since it's about 7 hours or so.

Finally -- any "don't miss" attractions, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc?

Comments (29)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year
    last modified: last year

Great choices for hotels. I have not been back to Montreal in ages, so no recs for the latest great spots. Do have bagels and smoked meat at Schwartz's. Boston to Montreal is a great drive.

Sueb20 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • maire_cate
    last year

We stayed at the Chateau in Quebec and loved it. I'll ask DH if he remembers where we stayed in Montreal. But Andre Agassi and a bunch of current players were having breakfast at the next table so it must have been nice.

I remember when Salonva went to Quebec a few years ago and found her post - there's great suggestions here.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5821769/quebec-city-and-travel-recommendations#n=33

Sueb20 thanked maire_cate
  • lisaam
    last year

I was in Quebec about 5 years ago and we stayed at The Fairmont on the concierge

floor. it was very comfortable and pleasant. its a busy hotel with lots of events going on—- I think maybe a prom one evening. the location is very convenient.

I wanted to do a splurgey dinner so we ate at Tanierie. i think this the only restaurant experience that has ever made me feel confused and a little dumb. the food was lovely but the menu a bit mysterious.

Sueb20 thanked lisaam
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

I wouldn't miss the cathedral.I wouldn't miss the cathedral.

Sueb20 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • localeater
    last year

Consider driving home to MA from QC via Maine along the Kennebec Chaudiere. It only adds about a 1/2 hour (based on QC to Boston) and it is a very pretty drive. We always bring our bikes when we go to QC, there is a very nice bike path along the river. I actually prefer QC to Montreal.

https://www.etravelmaine.com/attractions/history-culture/kennebec-chaudiere-heritage-corridor/ 

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

The Ritz is lovely. We stayed there in 2019. For a great dinner, checl out Le Serpent.

https://www.leserpent.ca

Sueb20 thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Lyban zone 4
    last year

I live in montreal but being older i have not gone into the city that much anymore.

the RC used to be wonderful , very personalized attention. but about 8-9 or more years ago they closed and expanded to private condos on the top floors and one wing.

it is now owned by Marriot.

still is a hotel and i cannot say anything about it good or bad . in my day they used to serve a lovely afternoon tea and it was in the garden room. a friend just told me the other day that it is now served in a hallway and not at all like the past.

now if you really want to experience the montreal flavour , i wouls suggest one of these hotels. they would be more wuaint and they are in old montreal .

i have not stayed in either but maybe trip advisor could help you with reviews

https://hotelnelligan.com/

https://hotelplacedarmes.com/

really depends on what you like, i feel the marriott will give you the same feel as all other cities but the two i posted above might be more unique.

then again I could be wrong.

• nekotish
    last year

Certainly can't go wrong with the Fairmont in QC. I would also recommend Aux Anciens Canadiens https://www.quebec-cite.com/en/businesses/aux-anciens-canadiens. It is the oldest house (1675 or so) in Quebec City that was turned into a restaurant and was our splurge dinner when we were there with our kids. Like eating in a museum with wonderful food. Just strolling around QC, soaking in the history is a wonderful experience.

• ccrunneroklahoma
    last year

We stayed at Hotel Nelligan in 2015. Great location and hotel. I may return this fall and will definitely consider it if it has maintained its reputation as a good boutique hotel.

• salonva
    last year

Oh boy thanks Maire for linking the discussion. I couldn't remember too much but now re-reading it all, I remember it vividly. Yes the Morrin Center was a very nice suggestion from tartanmeup. I don't think we would have done that without her suggestion but it was a really nice morning. I see in the previous thread I mentioned some walking tours we did which were also very good.

In general it's a great place to visit. This was our last trip before the pandemic- in Nov/Dec 2019. Who knew what was going to happen just a few months after that!

I do recall our hotel was way more low key but absolutely wonderful Manoir D'auteuil. if anyone else is looking.

I just saw via FB that a friend of mine is there now.

You will have an outstanding time!

Sueb20 thanked salonva
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

The Botanical Gardens in Montreal are beautiful.

Sueb20 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • maire_cate
    last year

Saonva, your original post had so many great suggestions that I bookmarked it. We had hoped to visit again but sadly we haven't gone anywhere in the past 2 years.

• localeater
    last year

A little off beat, but not far from QC is The Bee Museum and Honey Tasting Room

http://www.musee-abeille.com/default.htm 

It is on the way to Ste Anne, and the canyon ste anne is a very pretty hike(walk)

Sueb20 thanked localeater
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Lyban, thank you, both of the hotels are rated very highly on trip advisor! Hotel Nelligan is booked but the Hotel Place D’Armes has rooms. I think we’ll stay there!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

My number one recc is the plein aire Cirque du Soleil in the park, if they still have it. Amazing. I would plan a trip around that, it is 100x better than indoors.

If you drive, you must stop in Burlington and do the rails to trails bike ride which takes you on a spit of land into Lake Champlain.

I have stayed at the Ritz in Montreal but years ago,and it was lovely. When we were in QC, the Fairmont was undergoing renovations. We stayed at a quaint inn that i'd have to look up to find.

AFAIK hotels, though, I just logged in to Airbnb to check some details for our upcoming trip, and the login page is jaw dropping. I said to DH, I just have no interest in hotels anymore. YMMV but I would look there before I booked a hotel. We have stayed at so many special Airbnbs. Hotels simply cannot compete in terms of accommodations and design and a sense of place. and I don't miss hotel service one bit. They have added a new thing where you can search by "categories" and it is great!

I don't need a concierge; I have a phone. I hate being interrupted by someone who thinks I am too frail to "turn down" my sheets or that i really want a piece of free chocolate. I'd rather find a cute grocery and stock a real kitchen then get a mini bar filled with cheap booze and gourmet chips. And I view room service as solution only for travelling alone and eating in a hotel robe; otherwise I enjoy selecting places to eat as much for the ambience as the food. And I don't need a maid, esp. if there are no kids with us!

These are not your destinations, but just look at these. I was going to cut and paste but there are too many amazing places!

https://www.airbnb.com/?has_logged_out=1

ETA, I forgot ... we did stop for lunch in Montreal when we went to Mt Tremblant a few years ago. I know Swartz (sp?) is traditional but this tiny place is so darn cute and very very good food too! We tried to eat there again on the way back but ended up eating down the street .. also very good food. I think both i got from Thrillist.

http://arthursmtl.com/

Also, in Quebec City --- love Paillard for croissants and casual lunch at long wooden communal tables. And you have to stock your Air Bnb by going to the adorable Épicerie J.A. Moisan, depuis 1871!

https://jamoisan.com/

• rich69b
    last year

We were in Montreal in Sept 2021. The Old Town- lots of restaurants. Close by is the Notre Dame cathedral. It was under construction last year, but maybe done by now. And don't forget St. Viateur bagels- soooo good! The best bagel I've had, although we didn't get to try the other famous bagel place. If you like to hike/walk, Mount Royal is beautiful, with its beautiful lake. Good place to see the Montréal skyline.

Sueb20 thanked rich69b
  • Tina Marie
    last year

it”s been years since we visited canada,but such a beautiful place! So clean, and the flowers!! Sounds like a great trip and the suggested route back sounds like a good plan. We love road trips!!

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Trip is booked! We ended up with a cool airbb in Montreal (mtn will approve), the Chateau in QC, and an airbb in VT for a 2-night stop on the way home.

• User
    last year

I've been to Montreal twice. Beautiful city!

Views: I strongly recommend Mont Royal park. At the top is a beautiful chalet and an amazing view of the city. We walked the whole way up (it's not strenuous, a slight uphill walk through a beautiful shady park with very wide paved paths). I think there's also an option to drive or bus and then take a 5 minute walk from the parking lot to the main part at the top.

https://bbqboy.net/the-best-views-on-montreals-mont-royal/

Food: eat some poutine (french fries with gravy and cheese curds is the original form) -- this is the region for it. It would be criminal not to. When people ask "what is Canadian food?" poutine is usually the first answer.

Lunch: Schwart's Deli for a pastrami sandwich (arrive early, there's usually a long line and it's WORTH IT. It is THE THING everyone told us to do the first time we went to that city.

https://www.bonappetit.com/city-guides/montreal/venue/schwartzs

Dinner: Joe Beef,raved about by Anthony Bourdain in Parts Unknown: https://feastio.com/joe-beef-montreal-anthony-bourdain/

Sueb20 thanked User
  • nekotish
    last year

I can second this: I strongly recommend Mont Royal park. At the top is a beautiful chalet and an amazing view of the city. We walked the whole way up (it's not strenuous, a slight uphill walk through a beautiful shady park with very wide paved paths). I think there's also an option to drive or bus and then take a 5 minute walk from the parking lot to the main part at the top.

As far as poutine being Canadian food, neither my husband nor I (both born and raised in Canada) never even heard of poutine until about 10 years ago. Tortierre, split pea soup, cornmeal bacon - now those are Canadian.

Sueb20 thanked nekotish
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

Seattle, you probably missed my post on the thread about picky eaters. If you had seen it, you’d know there is no way I’m eating poutine. LOL.

Mont Royal park is on my list!

• User
    last year

nekotish interesting. what region are you from? my husband is from Toronto. He and his friends/family had known about it forever. But yes to cornmeal bacon (which I love) -- but everyone in his area calls it Peameal Bacon. And also yes to Tortierre. YUM.

Another thing he would consider very Canadian is Nanaimo Bars (yuck - way too sweet) and Butter Tarts (delicious if from a good bakery, otherwise I'm not a fan).

I think you might be right about the popularity of poutine being kind of newer though. Before I met my husband, all of my Candadian trips had been to Vancouver and Victoria, where poutine didn't seem like a thing at all until that chain came to town (Smokes).

• Kswl
    last year

I looked at some of those Air BNB listings and they’re lovely! Question, though: how can you specify a building with an elevator? Some of the lofts are in walk up buildings and the listings dont’t mention there’s no elevator—-I read in the comments of one place about the ”workout” they were getting staying there, and realized there is no way to sort the listings for single floor or for elevator access. Do you have to message every owner to find out?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

The owner of our airbb actually sent me a message right after I booked, making sure I was aware that it’s a 4th floor walkup. Not a problem for us, but obviously could be for some.

There are lots of ways to filter a search…not sure if elevator/accessibility is one of them.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last year

K— here it is.

• Kswl
    last year

Sue, look closely at that list. Elevator access is not even on it. I think it is really odd that is not a consideration. It says ”step free” entrance but that doesnt eliminate stairs in the unit itself.

• Funkyart
    last year

I have had the same frustration with the filtering options-- I don't need ADA compliant specifically, but i can't (easily or without anxiety) walk up open staircases.. or on steps with no contrast Not that I would expect filter options for those idiosyncratic needs-- but it would be helpful to have additional filter options-- like if there is/is not an elevator for a 4rth floor apt.

Step-free refers to any step up that could be an issue for a wheelchair, walker, etc.