Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_731177731

New tile in kitchen renovation

HU-731177731
last year

I am installing new cabinets in my kitchen. The tile was severely cracked and chipped in places so I think I need to go ahead an update that to. I have installed multiple tile backsplashs but never a floor.
I planned on putting the new cabinets onto the new tile floor. My questions/clarifications (please tell me if I am incorrect)
1. I have subfloor then I add the cement back board on top with special screws. Thinset goes underneath to attach the backer board to the subfloor. What thickness backerboard is recommended?
2. Do I need a waterproof barrier between the backerboard and the tile in the kitchen?
3. For the floor vent that has to be moved, are there anymore requirements other than it being a minimum of 4" from the wall?
4. What can I do to make the new tile and current hardwood closer to the same heighh to avoid the big difference I have with the current tiles. Its probably a 1/2in difference. There is a transition piece of wood but my toddler trips on this all the time so I want to lessen the difference if possible.
5. Is there a preferred grout for kitchen tiles thatnis easy to keep clean?
6. After I seal the floor do I need to reseal on a schedule?
Any walk-throughs wouldn't be minded. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

You need an crack isolation uncoupling membrane. After you asseess the deflection of your subfloor, and repair that to industry standards for rigidity. Hire several professionals. You are way out of DIY territory without a whole lot more projects under your belt than a backsplash. Installing cabinets is even harder than the tiled floor. Both are much harder than a backsplash.

HU-731177731 thanked User
  • HU-731177731
    Original Author
    last year

@User Thank you. Are you telling me to hire professionals because of the questions I asked or because this is a complicated project?

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

Why are you doing tile as opposed to continuing the hardwood? I've never been a huge fan of tile in a kitchen and it seems like now most are doing hardwood.

• HU-731177731
    Original Author
    last year

@daisychain Zn3b Hardwood isn't preferred in a potentially wet environment

• mainenell
    last year

Personally, hardwood is far preferred over tile in my kitchen. So much easier on feet and knees. I had hardwood in a kitchen and it is the easiest of materials to care for. Site finished will give an easy care, water resistant finish. I never worried about spilling water on it. And in fact, 2 of the 6 rental apartments I have have hardwood in the kitchen (site finished).

• User
    last year

Hardwood has been used in kitchens for decades

• Super Lumen
    last year

Hardwood indeed is easier on your feet than tile but I really don't like it in my kitchen. First, I USE my kitchen, for like real, not just to open take-out containers on the counter. Our kitchen takes serious, hard daily use and traffic and hardwood is just not anywhere near as durable as tile. Also, hardwood on a kitchen floor is limiting on what kind of wood cabinets will look good next to it. There are a variety of wood species that don't look good next to each other, and you can also end up with a kitchen that looks like a giant wall of wood if it's on the floor and cabinets. If you are going painted cabinets then it may not be an issue.

• mainenell
    last year

@Verbo one of those rental kitchens with hardwood has the original hardwood from 1920. The unit has probably always been a rental. So, yeah, I consider hardwood a very durable product. And it really doesn’t ever go out of style. 2 1/4” wide maple with a clear oil finish.