Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy10n

Interior load bearing wall needs better footing…

Amy10N
last year

Hello, I am going to speak to the county engineering inspector, just wanted to share and see whether this has been experienced before and capture your suggestions.

During build, my husband identifed a wall that looked to require better footer stabilization. (Sits on one inch, leaving 2 inch gap underneath.) On the bathroom side. He sent a message, received response that it would be addressed. The drywall was put up, we asked about the measure taken and were advised the county inspector passed it as it was.

We are concerned about future issues with settling, not sure if high risk, and disclosure obligation if we were to sell down the road.

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    last year

I have no idea what your arrows are pointing to on the rough framing but there is nothing that looks to be of any concern to me. If the building inspector passed there is really nothing you can do at this point other than refuse to close and walk away from the build.

Amy10N thanked millworkman
  • 3onthetree
    last year

"Sits on one inch, leaving 2 inch gap underneath"

Don't know what you mean, but I assume an arrow is pointing to under a truss not bearing on a top plate. One truss can't be higher than the others, or your roof and ceiling wouldn't work. There's nothing to disclose to future buyers.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

What is a "footer"?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I wouldn't worry about this.

Amy10N thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • ulisdone
    last year

A ”footer” is what is called a footing in the world outside of Florida. Usually a monofooting with a slab.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year
  • chispa
    last year

Looks like they poured the shower pan a bit too wide and then cantilevered the framing just a bit over it to get the desired shower dimensions. I think some of our showers were done the same and it didn't make me think there were any issues. We have a great GC and he would have flagged it if it was an issue. Easier to adjust the framing than having to jackhammer a too small shower pan.

Amy10N thanked chispa
  • Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@chispa, thank you. I just needed some perspective on it. The supervisor said he would fix it so we believed all were aligned that it needed to be fixed. When he suddenly said it passed inspection, we were not sure if this was due to missing a needed fix. Sometimes it is the expectation set, then unmet that causes the frustration. In the grand scheme, this seems to be low or non-issue. We have been trying to tackle communication challenges and this is just one of many is all. Again, thank you for your feedback, really helpful. Hope you are well.

• 3onthetree
    last year

The bottom plate overhangs for only 3 stud spaces, and can't tell if all the trusses bear along the entire wall. But I don't think it is anything to worry about for that ~48" length.

Amy10N thanked 3onthetree
  • Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@3onthetree thank you for that feedback. I am going back to check our pics on the trusses but believe you are correct. And as you say, for that portion, starting to believe risk is minimal if any. Have a good day.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville