Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meredith_thompson97

Living Room Wall Color

I need to decide on a paint color for the wall. There is no other color in the room yet besides the fireplace and mantle. The mantle is reclaimed wood and I am wondering do I pull a brown color from it to put on walls? House is very modern in design. TIA!!

Comments (9)

• acm
    last year

I think that the current light color is best. Bring color into the room with accents -- rugs, art, pillows, etc. You'll gain nothing by darkening your walls.

• Rawketgrl
    last year

this might be a nice color for you,,,

or maybe a ...

• Lisa Laird
    last year

Look at sherwin Williams alabaster beige. It has a brown tint in one area and gray in another. It goes great with so much.

• Meredith Thompson
    Original Author
    last year

I have repose gray on my kitchen cabinets (not visible from this room) and iron ore on bar cabinets in adjacent dining room (visible from living room). Would Urban Putty or Alabaster Beige be to warm?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Yes they would be too warm. I would go with off-whites.

Calm BM

Silver Satin BM

American White BM

• kandrewspa
    last year

SW recommends Eider White to go with Repose Gray. Modern interiors usually have white walls, so unless you really don't like it, the current color is good. Eider White is probably not that far off of what you already have. As usual, the light in your environment will affect how it looks, so sample before you decide.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Generally, it is a good idea to select paint colors based on the fabrics/textiles used in a room. Do you have anything done yet on that score?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Whole home color palettes help you create harmony from room to room in your home.

To build a whole home color palette you start with the colors that cannot/will not change

Repose gray on kitchen cabinets

iron ore on bar cabinets

Fireplace tile

Fireplace Mantle

Flooring?

Counter tops?

Trim color?

Generally you will want to choose a white or neutral that works well with all of these colors and use that color in most of the main living areas. You may choose to go a shade or two darker in a dining room or den. Bedrooms and bathrooms may be the main white or neutral or be a color with the white or neutral incorporated into the room via trim, window coverings, linens . . .

Using a single white/neutral as you base you won't run into the issues where the undertones are fighting each other.

Whole Home Color Palette and Accent Color · More Info

Whole Home Color Palette and Accent Color · More Info

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

There are a lot of articles on how to create a whole home color palette and the methods vary from article to article.

My steps are always:

1. Identify the colors that must stay.

2. Identify the colors that make your heart sing. If you look around your home you have bought clothing and jewelry and paintings and vases and bedding and throw pillows because you couldn't just walk past them in the store - they called to you and said "buy me". Most of the time you find that almost all of those favorite things have a common color scheme. Lots of greens or purples or reds or blues . . . )

3. Look at the different colors that you love with the colors that have to stay. This will help you identify your main and often secondary/tertiary accent colors. You may, like me, love Lime Green but if your colors that must stay are muted blue green grays you may have to opt for using colors you like a lot vs love as your main colors)

4. Find a neutral that works with the colors that must stay and the colors you love

5. Find a white that works well with the neutral that you picked and the colors that must stay and the colors you love.

In my home I had pink brick and a purple, red and green slate floor.

The colors that I love are evidenced in my art and things that I own

Blue greens and purples and greener blue greens are pretty prevalent

Picked a neutral (pictured above in the foyer photo) that works well with the colors that must stay and the colors I love. BM Frosted Toffee.

Selected the white (also pictured above in the foyer photo) that pairs beautifully with my neutral.

Ended up with a base color palette that I take with me when I shop for furniture or things for in my home.

and a plan for how the colors will repeat and flow from room to room

I will refine color selections as I move along and complete the renovations on each room, but I have a plan. The end result will have more purple than most homes and a good bit of red and blue/greens, but it still flows and the shades I selected work well together. My lime green is being relegated to the basement, but that is okay, I still have it somewhere.