Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_janzen

What Style is My House?

Mark Janzen
last year

I am fortunate to have been able to purchase a new home for my growing family and would appreciate your perspective on interior design! In particular, how would you describe the architectural style of the house and what interior design style would be most complementary? The furniture in the photos belonged to the previous owners and I am moving from a small apartment so essentially starting with a clean slate.

Comments (10)

• sushipup2
    last year

Lovely house. The exterior is Prairie-style.

• housegal200
    last year
    last modified: last year

It's Prairie style, a descendent of Frank Lloyd Wright. So start a search of "Interiors Prairie Style." Yours looks to be influenced by that style in its windows and roofline. The interior has less wood trim than original Prairie Style. But start there as your inspiration. I would say, try to avoid imposing, say, farmhouse style or other trendy styles from the home shows on your house. Yours looks like a beautiful, more modern version of a Prairie style house. How old is it? Where is it located?

No doubt some blogger out there probably has a blog on the style, so do a search for it. Good luck. Your scored a great looking house with excellent features.

• chispa
    last year

Modern-Prairie-eclectic?

I would get rid of that gray wall paint throughout the house. You can tell the previous owners were influenced by the gray trend from the last 10-15 years.

• kandrewspa
    last year

If it helps, the previous owner's furniture is too traditional, except for the bedroom. You would find appropriate items at Crate and Barrel or West Elm. If you have the resources, I would hire a decorator since you're doing the whole house, starting from ground zero. If you aren't able to do that (it also might be hard to find someone who has time to do the job), while some people are against in-store designers, it is still an economical way to get a consistent result. I think it also helps to go slowly as you may refine your taste as you go along. You do want to have color scheme in mind before you start, however. The kitchen is blue-gray, so you have that as a starting point. Houzz has a wealth of information.

Modern House · More Info

• Mark Janzen
    Original Author
    last year

@housegal200 thanks for the comment and great advice! The house was built in 2013 and it's in Calgary, Alberta.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    last year

housegal200 i think this is a link to prostate cancer?

• housegal200
    last year

@Janie: Thanks for pointing out the incorrect link to something I was working on.

@Mark Janzen: Well, you have a great looking house inspired by Prairie style, which is a wonderful style--open, lots of windows, natural materials. There's lots you can do.

• Kendrah
    last year

Forget the house for a moment. What do you like? Are there certain styles of furniture you are drawn to? Certain interiors of movies that you like? Particular stores you gravitate towards? Any words come to mind that describe your aesthetic?

I don't think you should feel bound to the exterior of the house as a point of departure. Lots of people do great jobs of contrasting interior and exterior and making it work. (The previous owners certainly didn't match the interior and exterior.)

If you want to not have to think about it too hard, you could purchase most items from the same store and they will match well together. Some in store designers are very good and will give you floor plans and layouts.

Room and Boardcomes to mind as a place you could shop. Their furniture is modern but uses a lot of natural materials so it still has a warmth to it, which is how I would describe your exterior: warm, natural, modern. I have used their consultants. They don't charge and the one I got was really good.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    last year

Agree with Kendrah. Interior furniture does not need to match/coordinate with the exterior style. It's more about your lifestyle, how much you entertain, the kind of furnishings and art you are drawn to.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year
    last modified: last year

Agree. Modern Prairie/Craftsman style. As for furniture, since it leans more modern, I'd go in that direction. Clean lines. Square arms on sofas, and nothing too drape-y or fussy.