Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meghan_hunt57

Help creating an entryway where there isn’t one

Meghan Hunt
last year

I am closing on my new home soon and am trying to figure out how to furnish the living room. The front door opens directly into the living room, so I’m thinking of using my furniture layout to create somewhat of a faux entryway. We have a big family and really want a sectional couch, so I’m thinking of the long end by the door, chaise on the left, but I also dont want the room to look closed off. I’m attaching photos from the listing, so none of this is my furniture. We will start fresh. I believe room measurements are 13 x 20. The photos show two different furniture arrangements.

Comments (11)

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

What is the room at the opposite end from the front door? Is this to be a family room with TV or a sitting room for entertaining guests? What is the maximum number of people who will occupy the room at the same time? You'll find that a 3-seat sofa and a pair of upholstered armchairs (perhaps that swivel) can be the most flexible base seating pieces. Generally, people prefer to sit where they have two arms to lean on. Sectionals are space hogs and make for a congested feeling in a room this small. Please don't buy big overstuffed, manly seating as shown in the photos. Scale will be most important in keeping the room airy, open and inviting. Using the sofa near the front door with a sofa table can create a nice foyer feeling at the entry. Poufs or small hassocks under the sofa table can add extra seating as can a hassock/coffee table. Floor lamps rather than end tables and table lamps will help keep things light so the room doesn't get heavy. With the two chairs you can use a side table and possibly a table lamp.

• Rawketgrl
    last year

decoenthusiaste knows her stuff. Creating a living room that is inviting and not OVER stuffed will make the entry seem nice, not cramped. Please reconsider the sectional. It will make the entry seem like a cramped hall to get through.

You have room for this and I like the idea of small ottomans as extra seating tucked under coffee table or small consol table.

You might even have room for this if the couches are apartment scale, no big over stuffed arms etc..

• Rawketgrl
    last year

How many folks need to sit in here at one time? Here are a few other ideas for small living spaces, make sure to get a rug that all the furniture can rest on... the small rug in one of the pictures is not helping the room seem relaxing and well set up...I know it is not your stuff ...just an observation:

• Rawketgrl
    last year

here is a nice idea for creating a small entry area..

• Meghan Hunt
    Original Author
    last year

When you walk into the front door, you look into the dining room. The other room that is pictured behind the couch is essentially an extension of the living room. There is an opening into that room with a small section of wall (maybe 18-24”) on either side. They are technically separate spaces, but the opening is almost the width of the room, so I guess it could serve as one big living/family area. I think I would like to have a family room space with a TV and then a separate seating area. The doorway you see in this room leads into the side entryway/kitchen. For reference, the piano is on the same all as the TV in the other pictures.

• Meghan Hunt
    Original Author
    last year

Also, thank you for all of your suggestions! 😊

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hard to say exactly what you can do without a floor plan with dimensions but here are a few ideas of what others have done with an entryway directly in their living room...

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

What is the size of the extension area? What is the door with one window back in the right corner?

• Meghan Hunt
    Original Author
    last year

Extension area is 13x15. The door with the window is a side entryway that goes out to the driveway.

• palimpsest
    last year

The front room seems a little tight to float everything. I realize your furniture will be a little smaller but their sofa with the console and reclining action takes up almost 1/3 of the width of the room.

If you notice in the listing they changed the furniture around to make it seem less tight from different angles: the shorter sofa and patterned chair switch places.

You may want to consider putting some sort of built divider right next to the front door, even if it's not solid. I am actually doing this next to my front door right now, and it's only about 15" deep, just enough to not feel like you are dumped in the front room right at the front door (my front door is also a stoop, so the sidewalk is right there. It just keeps whatever seating is there from feeling like they are sitting in the doorway.