Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

We're FINALLY finalizing cabinet order....am I missing anything?

cheri127
last year

I'm finally getting ready to sign on the dotted line for my cabinets. I think I have a good design for the way we work but I'd really appreciate some fresh eyes. Please help find any glaring errors I can't see.

We are empty nesters who both like to cook and I bake bread. No grandkids yet, don't know if that will change. We do some entertaining with small groups. The lighting plan is preliminary; I'm very open to advice there too. Thanks so much!

Comments (17)

• herbflavor
    last year

it all looks good and so forth......just a couple things....I'd reduce the depth of cabinetry left of oven stack. you can get 18 in deep drawers and bring the uppers down to normal 15 -18 in backsplash height. Consider glass doors there. I think I'd prefer the small sink on back walll over to the left to create a longer run there. You'll be moving across that back stretch quite a bit and the sink in the middle would bother me...just shift it. Normally the main sink and something like the cooking surface are not aligned like that...staggered is better but not especially critical I guess . Your space is large and airy and bright I dont think I'd bother with the open shelves...I'd rather have the wall storage behind doors . If you want a shelf you can insert one on the backsplash area left of oven stack ..... so far you have 22 inches of height there or close to that. Is 3 stools all you want. If you put the wall cabs back in the rear wall you could use the island end for open area for another stool. You can find other spots for liquor and spices I'm sure of it... If you want I'll tell you all the spots we found my dads big bottles of stuff after he died at 93. there are many places to tuck bottles.

cheri127 thanked herbflavor
  • cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@herbflavor I agree having the clean up sink shift to the left would be better but I have live with the limitations of my need for a certain level of symmetry. I'm not too worried about the counter space between the cooktop and sink because all prep will be done on the island. I would love to put the DW to the left of the sink but when open it'll be a PITA. I did originally have cabinets, not shelves, over the sink but was worried it might be too much? I'll ask for a rendering with a cabinet. (I'm not one for objets d'art so I didn't have a clue what I'd put on the shelves. LOL)

I have gone back and forth on the liquor cabinet v four stools. There's plenty of room on the dining room wall outside the kitchen for a bar cart or cabinet. I also agree that glass doors would look great over the baking counter. Maybe some kind of textured glass? I'll be storing baking ingredients there so don't really want them on display. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Design some 1" metal square tube to be let into the cabinet tops at each side of the sink to hold that countertop cantilever please. If it sags, your mitered waterfall end will self-destruct and be irrepariable.

cheri127 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • cheri127
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Verbo Your concerns are legit and important and have been addressed. The scope of this particular query is layout related only. (The picture of the layout I posted is my drawing not the designers. I haven't received the construction documents yet.)

• cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC I'm not planning a waterfall at this point but good to know should I change my mind.

While I have your attention, I did orginally want Corian but for the Kohler stages to work with a the flush cutting board, the counter needs to be 3 cm. I don't really want to build up all of the edges. Do you have any ideas how this could be done a the just the sink cutout?

• User
    last year

Is your sink on the back wall for cleanup? What size is that? Looks small for cookie sheets, etc unless you’re thinking you will just use your island sink for those. I like my huge single bowl sink similar to a kohler stages, but I only have one sink. If I had room for two, I would do a large single bowl cleanup sink and a smaller double bowl prep sink. Double so I could be washing greens in one side while rinsing veggies in the other. That’s just me though

cheri127 thanked User
  • cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@User The clean up sink is not huge but it'll be fine. Very large items can be washed in the Stages when necessary. Having two sink zones is important for me because I live with someone who never puts dishes in the DW and I gave up trying to change that a long time ago. LOL!

• User
    last year

Maybe I need to get your mentality. I’m still hoping for change. Lol

• cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

He's untrainable. Always has been. Hahahaha

• privateprivateprivate
    last year

We have one large undivided sink and one small one and it works perfectly. Big one makes it easy to soak and wash large objects. We use them pretty interchangeably, especially when there are two or more of us working in the kitchen,

Is that a regular depth fridge? We find our 36” subzero a little too small.

cheri127 thanked privateprivateprivate
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Do you have any ideas how this could be done a the just the sink cutout?"

Building up a solid surface edge around a sink to 30mm is easy. Any Certified fabricator would have no problem with it. Put a nice 3/8" rounded edge profile around the perimeter please.

• T Jarmuth
    last year
    last modified: last year

Will you be prepping on the left or right side of the Kohler Stages sink? If right side, the trash pull-out cabinet would be more helpful there rather than the opposite sink side. Maybe switching your cutting boards cabinet with the trash cabinet? You might need the cutting boards for hot oven dishes on that side of the island, too. Beautiful kitchen, nice design...it will be a joy to use.

cheri127 thanked T Jarmuth
  • cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@T jarmuth Thanks! We're putting a small trash pullout in the Kohler Stages cabinet under the drainboard. The one next to the clean up sink will be for regular trash and recycling.

• cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Hey Joe. Can we do that at just the sink and not the whole island?

• cheri127
    Original Author
    last year

@privateprivateprivate I've been back and forth on the 36" fridge v columns a million times. We have a 48" one now and it's rarely full so we decided to save the money and space and go smaller. We do have one in the garage too.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Can we do that at just the sink and not the whole island?"

Yes.