Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

cruise advice?

We are leaving on a family cruise (Oceania) in about 2 weeks.

I've been told that hair straighteners are not allowed. I'm thinking I may (just) survive if I can bring my Revlon blow dry brush thingy. Anyone know if these are allowed? If not, this will be me (minus the cute 20 something smile):

Comments (9)

• maddielee
    last year
    last modified: last year

My cruiser daughter is sitting here. On her recent Disney cruise, she had a straightener. She was given a sleeve to put it in. seems people put hot ones down on counters and leave burns.

her blow brush was allowed

• bbstx
    last year

I am leaving on a cruise in 10 days. I will take my dryer brush and a flatiron. I was on a cruise in March and both were allowed. The ones I’ve been on don’t allow clothes irons, steamers, things to heat water, etc.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

Two of my SILs are cruising now. All hair appliances were allowed, but otherwise as bbxtx stated above. No clothing irons, electric kettles, similar.

• LynnNM
    last year

I got tons of great info and advice on CruiseCritic.com Specific to the cruise ship we were taking, too.

• bbstx
    last year

@daisychain Zn3b, I just checked the Cruise Critic forums. There were plenty of people discussing using their flatiron/hair straightener on Oceania cruises. The only issue seemed to be that you cannot use the outlet in the bathroom. It doesn’t have enough juice. But the outlets at the desk do.

P.S. Where are you cruising? I’m headed to Alaska. I’ve been before, but you say ”cruise” and I’m in the car with my bag packed, ready to go!

• gsciencechick
    last year

My sister and BIL just booked a cruise to New England and coastal Canada for September as a 50th anniversary trip. Don’t know the line or details.

• arcy_gw
    last year

It's vacation--get some pony tail bands!!

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    last year

That is exactly what I wanted to hear! I had read somewhere that they would confiscate flat irons and mine was such a ridiculous price I would not be happy if I had to replace it.

arcy, if I had those cheekbones, I would absolutely wear my hair up.

bbstx, we are going to the Baltic. We did Alaska on Holland America about 20 years ago and loved it. Can you send some of your travel enthusiasm my way. I seem to have developed some weird travel anxiety. Honestly, with Covid and the war, I just went along with the plan always thinking in the back of my mind, that there is no way it would actually happen. I may have to be heavily sedated. I know it will be great once we are actually on board.

Thanks for the cruisecritic link. It looks like a fountain of info on everything cruise related.

• bbstx
    last year

Daisy, this is my second cruise this year. The first cruise back in March was to the Western Caribbean. I’ve never had any desire to go to the Western Caribbean. And I went to Alaska on a cruise 10 years ago. I’m going more for just being able to get out and travel than I am for the destination.

I have a credit with Princess left over from a Panama Canal cruise that was scheduled for May 2020 that got canceled. I have to use it by 12/31/22. If I can find someone to go with me, I’ll take a 3rd cruise this year!

Now that I don’t have DH to go with me, my destinations are somewhat set by who I can tag along with. I’ve thought about traveling solo, but I just think it would be disheartening not to be able to share what I’m seeing with someone.

I’ve never cruised the Baltic but I’ve been to the Baltic countries. I did a quick peek at Oceania’s Baltic itineraries. Looks like there are some fantastic things to see and do!

Be glad you weren’t on this Carnival trip. https://www.dailywire.com/news/threesome-allegation-sparks-five-story-cruise-ship-brawl-coast-guard-gets-involved I don’t think there has ever been a snowball’s chance in hell of my getting on a Carnival cruise and this pretty much cinches it!