Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine_aranyos

Help! LARGE DINNING ROOM furniture and layout advice

We have a big beautiful dining room. Wondering the best way to lay it out and what furniture to include. Included photos of the room and layout. Looking for advice on how to best approach.

Comments (20)

• olychick
    last year

What a beautiful space. Do you plan on using any existing furniture, buying new? Many people do you have using it? Kids? Budget?

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

I have an existing farm table that seats 8 (two benches and two chairs). Here’s an old photo. Other than this, I don’t have anything else planned for the room. We have a dog and four kids. Definitely would try to furnish with a limited budget and/or do over time.

• olychick
    last year

It looks like you have plenty of room for a larger table and real chairs for the kids as they grow older Benches are great fior little ones but not really very comfortable for anyone Do they use the table for homework or crafts? Do you ever have guests or holiday dinners? Kids have friends stay over, especially as they get older - I would want extra seating capacity in that large room. I’d keep my eyes peeled for a a larger table on FB Marketplace or Craigslist if the idea of larger resonates with you. There are wonderful bargains to be had on very nice things if you have time.

Will you keep the piano in the room? Would you want some comfy chairs by the window? Dish storage?

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Consider re-purposing the rooms and using the "south" end of the living room as your dining room and the "north" end of it as a casual all-purpose space. Angle the two chairs in front of the fireplace and put the piano on the wall opposite the fireplace. Make the large dining room your main living area, exchanging the chandelier for a nice ceiling fan.

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

What about getting a large round dining table?

• M Riz
    last year

Do you actually use your dining room or just a couple times a year?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

I really like actual measurements not just sq footage and IMO the LR space lendsi itself more to DR that the DR you show so please post all the maesurements of both spaces Also so idea of how many seats you need max. I agree the benches are not ideal ever and so the table can work but it is quite small for that space .The layout in the now LR is pretty disjointed for any kind of entertaining.

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

We use the dining table a ton. We have four kids and a big family. Here’s the rooms actual measurements.

I’d love to be able to seat 10, but 8 would be the minimum.

• M Riz
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think rectangular tables are much more versatile and cost effective. Take a look at the prices for a 72 round table, i was looking at them at one point, they are pricey and not a huge selection. Round tables also take up a lot of space. I love the look tho but I went with what was more flexible for me.

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

I actually think a rectangle table will waste space…. Like there will be a lot of space I won’t know what to do with, and a rectangle table to fit that many people wont fit in the space? 🤔

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

One more view of the room…

• ffpalms
    last year

That view is so stunning! The floor looks very organic and calming, and is a wonderful start. I would keep everything simple so as not to distract from that view. Is your adjoining room already decorated?

• Christine Aranyos
    Original Author
    last year

Nothing is decorated yet 🤪

• olychick
    last year

I think decoenthusiast's suggestion of flipping the rooms actually has a lot of merit. If you use your rectangular table in the area to the left of the kitchen, move the piano up to the other end of the now living room, maybe with a game table or other family friendly furniture, and use that lovely, large dining area for your living space, it would solve a lot of your concerns and make the rooms way more livable.

• ffpalms
    last year

I really like the layout you posted as is. We entertain primarily at a 5 ft dining table because it is great for conversation, great for drinks and snacks even even if dinner is not the main event. In your case, I would suggest a round 6 ft table similar to this photo.

Brookline Private Residence · More Info

I doubt it qualifies as an ”on a budget” option, but below is a similar chair with an afforable price. For the table, I would use your current table while scouring Craigslist for a sturdy six foot round table, even if it’s a bit beat up, then paint it to complement your decor. When you use the table a lot, it is so nice not to have to worry about the finish.

Gear Dining Side Chair, Natural · More Info

• btydrvn
    last year

Two of the obvious advantages of a rectangular table are …extensions and more room on the perimeter for cabinets or buffets..

but mostly you are closer to the people across the table for conversation and will be able to pass the food dishes more easily

• btydrvn
    last year

Not to mention rectangles are easier to use when there are fewer people

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I love round tables for dining and you have the space if you are not into exchanging spaces and I disgaree a round table always better for conversation and you can almost always sneak another chair if you need to..

• Mary Elizabeth
    last year

If you really want a large, round table, you can set up automatic search on either FB Marketplace or Craigslist. I bought a 48" Ethan Allen table for $50. Refinished it, realized we needed a larger table, and sold it for $650.

Then I found a Nichols and Stone 60" round maple table for $150 and refinished that.

Either table would have been useable without refinishing, but it's something I enjoy doing.