Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_280842269

Kitchen Remodel Help

HU-280842269
last year

Please help my kitchen has super awkward layout 1 door and 2 windows window 1 is by the stove and a double window by sink. There is also a vent next to the door thus limiting cabinet space further moving windows is not an option please help

Comments (29)

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

• millworkman
    last year

What do you mean by "remodel" A floor plan drawn to scale with all dimensions filled in will help you get good advice as well as a better description of the work you are looking to accomplish.

HU-280842269 thanked millworkman
  • HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Forgot to add the fridge is in dining room and looks a

bit out of place

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

I don't have a lay out where can I obtain (new home owner here) I mean i plan to demo the existing cabinets and add new ones and some drawers however I have no idea what I would do with the lack of upper cabinets due to all the window

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

I wonder if renovate is a better word to

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year
    • Kitchen is 11.2 x 12.0
  • missb_remodeling
    last year

definitely need a layout.

I would throw out there that I would consider removing the window that is above the stove. You could put a vent in (looks like an exterior wall) and you have a door nearby with natural light, so I don't think you're losing much light there.

but without a layout (drawing) it is tough to really see anything. Maybe the door can be moved so it's in the dining room and the current door space could be where the fridge goes. It would be clearer with the drawing, because we don't know what wall has windows/doors and how those are connected to the rest of the space on that level of the home.

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

I wish I cannot afford to do that window (its a super old house and have a lot of pricey projects) that door is from the sunroom so would that work? If so brilliant idea

• User
    last year

What is your budget for changes? A 30K refresh with professionally painting the existing cabinets, new counters, backsplash, and lighting? Or an 85K full gut and redo, with all new cabinets and everything?

• millworkman
    last year

"I don't have a lay out where can I obtain"

Graph paper, tape measure, a pencil and couple hours you will have one.

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

7k is my budget doing it

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the layout no fridge due to it being in the dining room (which is next to the last cabinet near the dishwasher) there is a load bearing support beam there so fridge is more obvious that is not in kitchen

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Is that an OK rendering ? I tried to get it

• User
    last year

7K is all DIY everything. Painting cabinets (Kitchen Cabinet Painting Experts group on FB) plus you installing new laminate counters, tiling the backsplash, and maybe replacing 1 appliance. It won’t cover paid labor for anything.

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I plan to do everything but what can I do about layout barely any drawers and only like 3 uppers 2 which are very

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Here is how kitchen and dining look together it's a structure beam between kitchen and dining hence the isolated

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Verbo thank you for the resources

• mcarroll16
    last year

I can't read the dimensions on your layout. The room is 362 cm wide? 382? So, depending on how wide the room actually is, you could do a narrow island, shallow shelves/pantry on the back wall, or both. Look at Craigslist/Habitat/local salvage company for used base cabinets that you can assemble into a 2' deep island. Try to make it all or mostly drawer units. Paint them to blend with your existing cabinets. Butcher block or laminate counter. NO ISLAND SEATING. Then on the empty "north" wall, use 12" deep shelving or cabinets--something like the Ikea Billy bookcase could be great. These shelves are your additional "uppers." This will work best if you can have at least 42" between the island and the existing cabinets, and 42" between the island and the pantry cabinets, or 36" if you do open shelving.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    last year

What's on the other side of the room from the sink? If that's space for a table, can you use it for the fridge and storage, since the DR is just next door?

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

mcarroll 16 I really like your idea of the Billy bookshelves can you please clarify the narrow pantry on the back wall it's more so rectangular room 340cm about in width 11'.2" when you say back wall which do you speak of please ? Are we meaning the door to be the front of the room if so there is only one tiny partition /structural thing dividing my fridge from the kitchen please can you clarify because I'm really liking the sounds of having a pantry I don't have one and it had been very troublesome

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Next to the sink is one tiny upper then two half uppers over an empty open space that seems to be for microwave i was thinking to put a pantry there if I did put fridge there then I'd lose my very limited counter space I don't mind losing some for a slim pantry but a fridge would take the whole of it I really like your blueprint mama goose thank you so much for generating that. I don't have a pantry and my washing machine is in the basement how do you think a slim pantry would look there ( next to the new fridge placement )or will it make the room look too closed in since the door and some cabinets would be there also sadly my door opens inward would that affect the shallow storage ?

• mcarroll16
    last year

I mean the wall opposite the sink. The same wall mamagoose put your fridge, microwave, and some cabinetry on. Her plan gives you a nice clean division between dining room and kitchen. Hopefully you could find some good drawer units to build the peninsula.

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

It's beautiful I agree ! Probably with the peninsula I wouldn't need pantry ! In case we wished to include one though how would it look next to the fridge do you think ?

• mcarroll16
    last year

Next to where mamagoose put the fridge? I think it would look good there. You could put a pullout pantry between the fridge and the wall, which would help with fridge door clearance. Then fridge, then the microwave with cabinet/countertop underneath.

• HU-280842269
    Original Author
    last year

Yes!!! I love that ideA!!! Right now I have none so anything is a major improvement!!!! Tnx so much!!