Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_22472440

Any suggestions to bring my 2000 kitchen into 2022? Chairs are gone.

HU-22472440
last year

Comments (38)

• PRO
    rob art8
    last year

Are you open into going more minimalist? I can see how if you work with getting another dinner table set, and some reworking on the color pallet could bring your kitchen into 2022😊

HU-22472440 thanked rob art8
  • herbflavor
    last year
    last modified: last year

get a new island. with lots of drawers.....many options. wood species/ painted/ more transitional. soapstone top... I'd leave everything else as is.

Downtown Northville Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

HU-22472440 thanked herbflavor
  • chispa
    last year

It looks like the kitchen and built-ins are of high quality and fit with the style of the house.

If you want 2022, selling the house is probably the easiest way to get there!!

HU-22472440 thanked chispa
  • missb_remodeling
    last year

As someone who is putting in slightly off-white beaded inset cabinets, I'd say it looks great already. Yes, there are some fancy choices there in terms of trim around the range and on the island that I probably wouldn't make, but as @chispa pointed out, it looks to match the house style.

You could put on new hardware. That's where I'd start. The counters look fine. Maybe replace the dishwasher.

I see that the island isn't built-in. If you were to change that island (and I don't personally love the legs), you'd have to be aware that if you did build it to the ground, you'd need to add some outlets on the island. Currently it doesn't look like it is a "fixed" feature.

You *could* change the backsplash but it's not at all dated except maybe behind the range, but again, it may fit quite fine with the style of house. Generally folks aren't doing the fancy backsplash behind the stove.

Edited to add: you could probably upgrade the undercabinet lighting.

HU-22472440 thanked missb_remodeling
  • missb_remodeling
    last year

Also, I wouldn't change the green painted cabinets at all. The hardware looks classic. The color seems to fit just fine.

Edited to add: I have that same tea kettle.

HU-22472440 thanked missb_remodeling
  • palimpsest
    last year

I don't dislike it as it is. But if you could get the color to match, I would replace the dentil molding with something simpler, and put simpler brackets under the shelf. That said, I probably would have done that in 2000, it doesn't have anything to do with when it was done.

HU-22472440 thanked palimpsest
  • alwayscold
    last year

See if you can get someone to box in the island feet for a cleaner profile.

HU-22472440 thanked alwayscold
  • alwayscold
    last year

Also, see if you can’t get rid of the corbels under the counter, replace them with metal quasi-invisible brackets. That will clean up the lines of the island. Another potential to the island legs, could they trim all the way around with a toe kick to make it look solid to the floor.

HU-22472440 thanked alwayscold
  • JP L
    last year

Whenever people on this site talk about putting in an all white kitchen because it's "timeless," they're talking about your kitchen. It appears to have decent quality inset cabinets and still IMO looks pretty high-end/classic. The tile treatment behind the stove is a bit cheesy for my liking, but not enough to call for a complete renovation. Maybe replace your dishwasher?

I wouldn't box in the island - the furniture look to your island is more of a custom look than one you can achieve with semi-custom straight lined units. Plus, it looks like there's a vent in the floor underneath.

And seriously, those hall built-in's are dope. All of that custom cabinetry would cost a fortune right now in Los Angeles.

HU-22472440 thanked JP L
  • Jennifer K
    last year

What is it about your kitchen that you think is "dated"? Or are you just bored with it? Or does it have functional defects that you want to correct?

I think it's a lovely kitchen that I'd be happy to live in. So to my mind, you did it right the first time and it doesn't need fixing. But I haven't been living there for 20 years. If I had, I'd look at changing out the bar stools for something more comfortable looking and getting a new (maybe green) mat for in front of the sink.

HU-22472440 thanked Jennifer K
  • Ac Lb
    last year

I'm just here to tell you I think your kitchen is timeless, still very current, and beautiful.

HU-22472440 thanked Ac Lb
  • cupofkindnessgw
    last year

Are you planning to sell? Your kitchen is gorgeous, why fiddle with perfection? You did it right the first time, lucky you! I love the cabinet holding your microwave, so clever!

HU-22472440 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • lizzierobin
    last year

I love the shaker style, inset cabinetry and the hinges, which I have in my newly remodeled kitchen. Perhaps getting rid of the corbels, removing the candle sticks and changing up the island legs to be more substantial will change it up. If budget allow, change out the counter top of the island. Then look for some type of upholstered chairs for the island.

The green cabinetry leave as is, it’s really nice.

You really picked out some classic styles 20 years ago. Much of what you picked is ageless.

HU-22472440 thanked lizzierobin
  • btydrvn
    last year

Remove all cornices.. arches… unnecessary ledges…paint the island an interesting color… add modern lighting… mainly remove the frills that don’t have a function

HU-22472440 thanked btydrvn
  • Jeanne Cardwell
    last year

The only real “miss” in this kitchen for me are the 2 cabinets on either side of the range that sit on the counter. I need counter space next to my range for all my cooking ingredients (usually 2 eggs, 😂)
    I like the idea of a new stainless dishwasher, removing some of the countertop stuff, new chairs and maybe a new island countertop.

HU-22472440 thanked Jeanne Cardwell
  • cupofkindnessgw
    last year

I love the alcove around the range. Reminds me of a beautiful British home. A look for the ages. So timeless! I agree with the comments about removing the unnecessary fancy accents EXCEPT the mantle/ledge above the range but perhaps you could simplify the corbels underneath. The mantle is so classy.

HU-22472440 thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • anna_682
    last year

It's a beautiful and timeless kitchen. I would change pulls and add some latches, art on the range hood shelf in place of the candlesticks, and soapstone on the island. I would pull in the color of the green cabinets to the perimeter counters using decorative items in the same or similar shade.

HU-22472440 thanked anna_682
  • eandhl2
    last year

Your cabinets are beautiful.

HU-22472440 thanked eandhl2
  • btydrvn
    last year

If it were possible to remove the cabinets on each side of the stove ,the added countertop would be a very valuable added workspace…and would take away the “crowded” feel there….a sleeker backsplash in a pale color would add a softer but brighter look..using the same color to paint the island would complete the picture..and as suggested updating the hardware will have a huge effect…but i would not use black as it tends to draw the eye to that tiny part of the kitchen too much..

• btydrvn
    last year

Are the green cabinets part of the kitchen as well?..if so …is it possible can you show us in one picture how they connect ?…when you get time to respond …..people offering suggestions will be able to move more toward the things you like

• btydrvn
    last year

Darker counters would be a good idea..to get some contrast into the mix as well

• HU-22472440
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, wow, and wow again. I am blown away by your thoughtful and much appreciated comments!

• HU-22472440
    Original Author
    last year

These top 2 photos (a bit gloomy because it's at night) show how the greenish cabinets are part of the kitchen. It's a square room with the green cabinets on the wall oposite the windows in the very first photo. It's fairly unanimous that those corbels have to go! I agree! I have new chairs arriving soon (last photo). The island..yes the legs are affixed to the floor, with electric coming up the far right leg to the outlet. There is a vent under the island so I can't really box in the legs. The birds eye maple island counter looks massively huge from this angle, but the overhang on two sides accomodates the chairs. An architect friend suggests ditching the corbels, the shelf and the cabinets on either side of the stove (I'd have to find a place for my spices, measuring cups, and 20 years of collected kitchen misc. stuff!). And, yes, my dishwasher now is stainless. I'd love to go more minimalist and change the color pallet but I'm not sure you could paint over sprayed cabinets? Man, I love that lower photo. That feels like 2022. Maybe I can switch the island counter to something like the one in the lower photo. I just don't want to go crazy spending too much to redo a useful kitchen, but need some touches to get me closer. Thank you again, all you creative thoughtful people! You're amazing. One last thing- my house is an 1825 CT house with this 20-year-old kitchen. I probably should honor the age of the house and not go wholehog modern minimilist!

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

I truly agree that you should honor the age of your beautiful home.

• Julie B.
    last year

Honestly, I'd send the chairs back. They belong in a completely different kitchen.

You live in a 200 year old home. Trying to shoehorn in a time traveling kitchen will be mismatched and jarring, and will not age well. At all.

• missb_remodeling
    last year

there are ways to redirect that vent. Look up toeductor.

• chispa
    last year

I think you are having a mid life crisis or at the least you have been brain washed by pretty pictures on social media! ;-)

Those stools don't go with your kitchen. You can certainly have a more eclectic design and mix traditional and modern, but a couple of stools isn't going to do it.

• chispa
    last year

People do this in the UK all the time, but it is a major commitment and expense to change the look and style of a whole house. Just buying stools isn't going to do it.

Sociable family living · More Info

• Sharon
    last year

I love it as is. You could paint the island black. Also think about adding rugs or runner if you want color. Also colored teapot and canisters. Co!orful items in glass front cabinet. Fresh flowers on island. Nothing more is needed, imo.

• btydrvn
    last year

One little detail that could make a difference..have the legs replaced or covered with simple square ones..

• lizzierobin
    last year

Seeing the green cabinets and how they fit in with the kitchen, me personally would buy your house as is and possibly leave the kitchen as is.

• mmayerct
    last year

Thank you! That is very kind.

• User
    last year

I adore your kitchen. It is beautiful and has character and looks like a place I would want to be. The cabinetry is beautiful inset and shows craftsmanship. The ONLY thing that I dislike is the accent tile behind the range, but it isn’t so off putting that I would turn my nose up. Can I move in?

• Timi M
    last year

What an adorable kitchen!

• eld6161
    last year

I agree that is a lovely and timeless kitchen.

If you are still itching to do something, I would change the backsplash. The focal frame behind the range is dated.

Not sure if it would be with it though. Your colorbtile now coordinates perfectly.

• Jennifer K
    last year

If you want to replace the stools and desk chair with something less detailed that still fits with your lovely traditional kitchen, consider a Windsor or Parson style. They are both simple, clean, classic designs.

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

@HU-22472440

I would consider the idea of painting the island black.

I agree about the stools on order. Too trendy.

I'm grateful you have gotten the feedback your kitchen deserves. You've gotten great advice on this thread.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH