Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcarroll16

Kitchen Aisle Spacing Dilemma

mcarroll16
last year
last modified: last year

We're nearing the end of our kitchen remodel. Somehow we didn't notice until the electrical rough-in that the plans do not specify actual dimensions for the island placement. Our designer isn't available right now to clarify. I told the electricians to assume 48" countertop to countertop for light placement. (And I did the math for them on the spot.) The island recessed cans are not placed quite right for 48" aisles. We've got a few days left before drywall where we can still move the lights. But should we?

It's a 2-person kitchen, mostly: one person at the sink doing cleanup, one person moving sink to cooktop to cook. The island is secondary workspace for both jobs. If we go to 45" between countertop edges (48" between cabinets), the light placement works. Bonus, we get a slightly wider walkway on the back side of the island. That's a walkway to the garage/laundry/pantry, as well as the area we plan to use for buffet service for parties. Is a 45" aisle good enough?

Leave it at 45" for both countertop aisles.
Make it 48" for both countertop aisles and move the lights.
Make it 48" between sink and island, since there's more traffic there, and leave it 45" between cooktop and island.

Comments (30)

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Follow-up notes: 1. The lighting placement works a lot better at 45" between the sink and island. Joists and ducts prevented optimal placement for 48" spacing. Lights are more on center at 45". 2. There's no seating at the island, so that's not a factor in aisle spacing.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"The island recessed cans are not placed quite right for 48" aisles. We've got a few days left before drywall where we can still move the lights. But should we?"

Switch to remodel cans please. Fish the wire, drywall, and you can position and install the cans after the ceiling is painted if you prefer. Nice way to buy time and your lights get positioned perfectly, not just close.

mcarroll16 thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • lucky998877
    last year

I would go with the 45", with only 2 people using it you won't have traffic issues. I have 6 people, so the 48-50" was very important (I had 36" previously, anything over 42 was luxury).

mcarroll16 thanked lucky998877
  • daisychain Zn3b
    last year

45" is plenty wide

mcarroll16 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone! @Joseph Corlett, LLC thanks for the lighting suggestion. I can't (well won't) ask for different cans now. Just a matter of playing nice with a good contractor and spending my "please fix this" karma on a few other critical things. But I will remember remodel cans when we start fixing other parts of the house

• palimpsest
    last year

I would go with the 45".

mcarroll16 thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO change the light placement and 48" is min. id always. BTW 4" cans ae what you want and need and a big deal when doing LED lighting which BTW all of yours should be in 4000K

mcarroll16 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    User
    last year

The newly revised NKBA design requirements are 48" for a single cook, and 54" for dual cooks.

mcarroll16 thanked User
  • PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

Where did you get this information, @User? I just took the CKBD exam a couple of weeks ago and this change in requirement was not represented in any NKBA literature.

• PRO
    User
    last year

https://nkba.org/2022/05/nkba-releases-new-planning-guidelines/ The new guidelines are not being tested on yet. But they will be part of the new test they are developing, as well as the actual design layout part of the test.

• palimpsest
    last year

NKBA guidelines are guidelines, they are not residential code requirements.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

True. I don't see anything about the aisle clearance change in the link @User shared but it could be included in the new book. It's not in the online documentation. Having said that, I would find a 54" aisle space uncomfortable if I was working in the kitchen alone. I'm not convinced it's necessary for two people working in a kitchen. I am definitely interested in seeing if the new guidelines account for the larger kitchens that are customary in new homes now. The work triangle maximum distance guidelines in particular are difficult to meet with the size of the some of the kitchens I design.

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

They are also based on, IMHO, a certain style of "american" home with overly large kitchens. Not saying that this kitchen couldn't support 48" walkways, but just addressing the info above about NKBA guidelines.

It's also a good idea to do mock ups and think about how you use your kitchen. I'm a pivot and drop cook. I lived in a condo for a year with very large walkways and I found it frustrating and tiring.

• palimpsest
    last year

Because of the layout the cooktop and sink both slightly overlap the adjoining aisle so the dimension is slightly increase because of the corner and the diagonal measurement.

(I think having two people working so close to that corner could at times be a pinchpoint unrelated to aisle width.)

mcarroll16 thanked palimpsest
  • mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

I agree with Kristin Petro--54" doesn't make sense to me. My MIL's kitchen has 48" aisles, and it's quite functional with 3-4 adults working at one time. Maybe this makes sense for a family of tall people.

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Palimpsest, not sure I understand your comment. Increase the aisle size because of the sink/cooktop overlap? Or narrower 45" aisle is fine because the diagonal already increases the width there? Agree that it is a potential pinch point. Everything is tradeoffs, this was the best we could do without moving walls and doorways.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

We're talking about 3" here, so it's not going to make much difference. I'd say 45" is plenty generous. I wouldn't move the lights.

mcarroll16 thanked Mrs Pete
  • palimpsest
    last year

I think the 45" is okay because of the adjacency of the other aisle. I was just noting that it's possible that at some points both people could tend to work toward that corner

My family rents a shore house every summer that has an island like this and a lot of prep work gets done on it despite not having a sink or appliance on it, so using the island will also free up that corner a bit.

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, the plan is that the island should be a main prep surface. The corner should be for the person at the cooktop, or the person doing baking work (stand mixer will live in that corner). I'm the only one who bakes, and I don't do it while another person is using the cooktop.

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone! You've given me confidence to keep the aisle width at 45". Looking at everything carefully, I think we should still move the lights at the corners a bit for best placement, even at 45". Easier to make that call now that we've settled on the island placement.

• artemis78
    last year

Just echoing others—45” is fine. We have exactly this L layout and have 39” on the sink and stove sides, and 42” on the aisle side. Have never felt it’s too tight with two people working (and kids running through).

mcarroll16 thanked artemis78
  • Buehl
    last year

Where is your dish storage? In the island? If so, be careful about less than a 48" aisle b/w the DW and the island. You should be able to have both the drawers in the island and the DW door open at the same time with no overlap.

DWs stick out around 27" and drawers around 21".

mcarroll16 thanked Buehl
  • mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Buehl. That is one concern I've had. Our dish storage will be in island drawers. Stacking dishes on the island, then putting in drawers, seems fine to me. Our current arrangement is remove dishes from dishwasher, then walk them 10 feet away, around a blind corner, to storage in the breakfast nook.

But is "way better than now" good enough? That's one of the hardest parts of remodel decisions. Our layout is constrained, and we're used to really terrible work flow. How do we decide what is good enough, where we need to push for "perfect," and where we decide to make things non-optimal so that another part can be better. In this case, there's best DW/drawer distance at 48", and better light placement at 45". The north/south placement can't be changed, because of joist and ducts. 48" between the sink cabinet run and the island will mean island cans that sit a few inches out into the aisle, not over the island countertops, and island pendants that sit closer to the working edge than the center. Which flaw would you choose?

• Buehl
    last year

Hmmm... The other issue is that to go to/from the refrigerator from/to the Prep & Cooking Zones you have to cross through the Cleanup Zone. That means if you're prepping or cooking while someone is cleaning up, you have to pass them and, possibly, an open DW door. If the aisle is too narrow, that may be an issue.

What if the island pendants were placed so they're over the back half of the island? That would still be plenty of light for working that would be placed where shadows would not be cast by the person working at the island.

Could you post your lighting plan?

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Here's a marked up version of the lighting plan. I used Paint to try to show our structural constraints. The solid lines are joists, the squiggly lines mark an HVAC duct. The lights on the north end of the island are centered a few inches north of the island edge (window wall is north). The lights on the south edge have been moved significantly into that aisle--black circles show their approximate location. Because of the duct, the island pendants can't towards the back edge. They will sit just north of center if we use a 45" aisle.

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Here's a picture of the ceiling structure. Taken facing the east wall. The can in the upper left is the NE island can.

• Buehl
    last year

If it helps, this is my lighting plan. We have 4" cans (5" didn't fit).

Our lighting includes:

• Recessed mostly over the aisles, the prep sink (the diagonal corner), and the cleanup sink as well as in the pantry
    • Under cabinet lights under all the upper cabinets
    • Pendants over both peninsulas and the cleanup sink

With all the options for lighting, we have no issues with general lighting, task lighting, or ambient lighting. My lighting plan:

Would the plan below make sense? Unfortunately, it would mean more lights are needed, but I think it addresses all your concerns. As a plus, you get 3 pendants over the island to provide more task lighting as well as a light in your Prep Zone as well as over the sink. I'll admit I'm not a Pro, but it seems this would work well.

The pendants over the island would mitigate any possible shadows a body would make from the recessed lights in the aisle.

The recessed or pendant lights in front of the window would mitigate any shadows there as well. Note that I moved the lights over the sink/in front of the window back a bit b/c if they're in the middle, when you're leaning over the sink/counter working, your head will block the light and cast cast shadows over your work.

I assume your hood has a built-in light, so that fixes any shadows on the cooktop/range.

The red/canned lights may be overkill, but I was trying to evenly space them throughout the Kitchen to give full coverage and and avoid the joists & HVAC.

• Buehl
    last year

That's OK. You'll probably be fine with the 45-inch aisles since you're both adults. It's when kids are involved that it can become an issue - the inevitable "She's in my way!" or "He won't let me pass!" etc.

Good luck!

• mcarroll16
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks! And ha ha. The children are a whole nother kitchen issue. If only spacing where our largest problem there ....