Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmidwest

Does my home exterior lean a certain style direction?

M V
last year
last modified: last year

The first picture is how the home looks, currently. The second is a poorly rendered (from the siding company website) mock-up of what it will look like resided. The color in the mock-up is pretty off and will be like the picture below. This picture shows a side of the home that has already been resided. The sunbursts will be removed and the gables recessed. I think we've chosen to keep things more simple and remove any gable accents and just do the same color clapboard in the gables. I'm just wondering what you would call this type of home design? Cottage? We need a new front door and I'm drawn to those in a craftsman design, but don't want to be trying to make the house something it isn't.

Comments (3)

• kandrewspa
    last year

It is a '90's builder interpretation of cottage/Craftsman. The half circle window is what identifies it as '90's (or maybe early to mid-2000's). What this means is that you have a lot of latitude about the direction you take it, and it sounds like you are on the right track with your changes. Definitely don't outline the gables with a different color than the body. Downspouts should be the body color as well. You have nice landscaping in the front, so good job there. So many people who post pictures here have neglected landscaping.

M V thanked kandrewspa
  • M V
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

The home was built in the mid 80's.

Could you clarify what you mean about not outlining the gables? Do you mean that I should eliminate some of the off white trim I have in the mock-up? The rendering makes the trim stand out way more than it does in person. The trim on the front will look like the facia you see on the picture I posted of the side. I intended for the outside trim corners of the siding that was already completed to be off white like the facia, soffit, etc., Since the downspouts are all on the corners, they would have blended with the trim. The installer didn't do the corners in off white, however, and since many homes in our area are paint completely the body color in the back (without a contrasting trim color), we let it go.

Thank you for the comment about the landscaping! It has been a work in progress and I started with a blank slate. We have a huge deer population, so it's been a challenge.

• kandrewspa
    last year

I guess they started doing the half-circle windows earlier than I realized. :-) They were most popular in the '90's. The rendering does make the edges look cartoonish. I see what you mean about the corners being the same color as the body on the back of the house. That's what I meant when I said the edges should be the body color. The windows are lighter than the body which is customary - the corners don't need to be emphasized with a different color.