Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_29068705

Walking toward the light

User
last year
last modified: last year

DH and I listened to an interview with John Batiste about his journey. DH plays a couple nights a week here in Lex. He and I grew up in NOLA and still have ties that bind.

l looked up from our sofa on the screened porch and saw the lights … follow the light. Don’t let the darkness overtake you. 🙏

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9TSxsA78c

Comments (32)

• Bestyears
    last year

Oh, that was beautiful, thank you for sharing. I loved Between Two Kingdoms, and of course he is just an infinitely talented man who sounds like a wonderful human being.

User thanked Bestyears
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Thank you! His light shines and shines.

User thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Wow...what an amazing talent, and the soul to go with it. The daily lullaby...so touching. Two very special people.

For some reason, lately, from a number of different sources I have been getting the message about holding two conflicting things in your mind at the same time...very quantum...Schroedinger's cat dead and alive at the same time...here the joy and the suffering. "That's life, man. That's it. Strap in."

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

What a story of two incredible people - talented in many realms.

User thanked DLM2000-GW
  • salonva
    last year

Thank you for sharing that.

I'm really not very up on popular culture, and honestly was not at all familiar with him but wow what an amazingly talented man and what an incredible couple. (and that walker is mindblowing).

Thank you again.

User thanked salonva
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

@Annie Deighnaugh this was DH’s PhD field of expertise in Chemistry he taught it at AU for 31 years. He says its the Observer’s Paradox. It’s not either, it’s not neither , it’s both. He had pages and pages of wave functions . I asked him where they are…. I don’t see them 😊

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Thank you TR... you reminded me of a book I read years ago about the very basics of quantum theory: The Dancing Wu Li Masters. I love this mind-bending stuff.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • lascatx
    last year

John Batiste got covid after Stephen Colbert did, not long after the Grammy Awards, and hasn't been back on the show since. We read something about their "secret" marriage and her treatment. Then his covid. I haven't heard anything that he didn't recover completely -- appears he is just taking time to be with her and support her and not risk not being able to be there again. I was not familiar with her, but they are an amazing couple. They are so talented and so alive -- in the sense of mind and heart connections. Can you imagine spending an evening with the two of them?

User thanked lascatx
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

What a beautiful story. I was familiar with Jon Batiste and bis music but not his personal story. The daily lullaby was very touching. He truly feels his music and compositions.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • maddielee
    last year

Thanks C, that is a great segment. Always find the light, its there somewhere.

John Baptiste will return to Colbert in September.

User thanked maddielee
  • roarah
    last year

What a beautiful couple. They are both so very inspirational.

User thanked roarah
  • dedtired
    last year

The achievements along with the struggle. Havent we all been there. Thanks for sharing, Trail.

User thanked dedtired
  • lizzie_grow
    last year

I have read her book & watched this interview...they are inspiring & it's good to be reminded to look to the light....thank you for that Trail....!

User thanked lizzie_grow
  • woodrose
    last year

What a brilliant young man, and I don't mean just his music, he is very wise for one so young. God has given both Jon and his lovely wife amazing talent and wisdom. I pray for the very best for both of them.

User thanked woodrose
  • hhireno
    last year

That was so moving. What lovely people they are. Thank you for sharing it.

User thanked hhireno
  • lascatx
    last year

I'm glad to hear there is a plan for John's return to the show. The show would go on, but it feels like an indication that they feel there is stability in their lives - and that makes me happy for both of them.

User thanked lascatx
  • jlsch
    last year

Thanks for sharing this. Inspirational … spiritual … soulful, and such a sweet, lovely story. What a good reminder to look to the light.

User thanked jlsch
  • lascatx
    last year

Well, well, well, Stephen Colbert just announced that John Batiste has decided to leave the Late Show to work on his music full-time. The guy who has been leading the band will continue but the band will be the Late Show Band, no longer Stay Human. I wish him all the best and will wait to see what he does next.

User thanked lascatx
  • Oakley
    last year

They are blessed to have found each other & what perfect mates they are. They're still young and so very much in love, so I can see how the music therapy is helping them cope. I do think they're in the minority though, but that's okay. It was uplifting.

I may just research music therapy and see if it can be done without a therapist.

Zalco, the FSF quote is why I loved being on the Debate team.

User thanked Oakley
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley when I was a Voice major at Loyola in New Orleans in the late 60’s the Music Therapy program was very well developed and much sought after.

Many times music is the only mode of communication that a person with Alzheimers or other dementias responds to. Tony Bennett is an excellent example. I have linked several articles as well as a more thorough look at MT .

https://www.brainandlife.org/articles/tony-bennett-demonstrates-power-of-music-against-alzheimers

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/10/933387878/struck-with-memory-loss-a-dancer-remembers-swan-lake-but-who-is-she

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/music-therapy-for-bipolar-disorder

and yes you certainly can implement the techniques and healing qualities in your home

https://bottomlineinc.com/life/emotional-health/the-healing-power-of-do-it-yourself-music-therapy#:~:text=Whether%20your%20taste%20runs%20to,to%20benefit%20from%20music%20therapy.

• roarah
    last year

He is leaving the Colbert show :(

• Oakley
    last year

ETA that I added the wrong song below and put in the correct one.

Thank you for the links, C! I knew about Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga, so it should be enlightening for me to read the articles to see what I can do.

You can sing too? That's so not fair. You switched your major to nursing, right? When I was in college I signed up to take piano lessons given at the School of Music. I knew how to play the piano, I just wanted to play better, which it never got. :) I was told to go to the second floor to a door with a certain number on it. It was a long hallway full of doors. When I opened my door there stood a grand piano, and my teacher was a piano major! People were playing piano behind all those doors. I was amazed and knew I was way out of my league.

Had a great time until she ripped me a new one for memorizing Bach's Minuet I instead of playing it while reading the sheet music.

I swear I sounded just like this guy! LOL She didn't care.

User thanked Oakley
  • Tina Marie
    last year

They are a lovely couple. we have friends with an autistic child. They have had success with music therapy.

User thanked Tina Marie
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

Thanks for sharing the story. Living in two worlds is resonating with me right now. Interesting that you took your photo recently as I took this one early in the morning last weekend.

User thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Oakley
    last year

It's your fault C, you caused me to fall into the classical music rabbit hole. Are you familiar with Clair de Lune and the poem behind it? PERFECT for this topic!

"What makes Clair de Lune so special?

'Clair de lune' takes its title from an atmospheric poem by the French poet Paul Verlaine which depicts the soul as somewhere full of music 'in a minor key' where birds are inspired to sing by the 'sad and beautiful' light of the moon."

I found this video and read the explanation why the bride is playing the piano. Read what she says. It's 6 minutes long, and when she starts playing I thought she would embarrass herself. Wrong. The groom shows up at the very end.

See the lady sitting to the bride's left, the one with the short grayish/blonde hair with her arm over the chair. I want to meet her and be her BFF. :)

User thanked Oakley
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

He's leaving Colbert's show.

User thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley no I was in college with a voice major piano minor in 1968-1971. I sang professionally and taught piano privately. I stopped when my children had so many after school activities. My Mom had surgery and developed complications due to hospital neglect. I moved to their home in FL in 1985 with my little daughter aged 2 1/2 and took care of my Mother. She had Home Health. The nurses said I should go back to school and get a nursing degree because of the care rendered to my Mother. I did just that and graduated in 1988 first in my class. I retired in 2004 to take care of my Mother . She died June 2005. I then became the dishwasher in my DS1’s and DDIL ’s restaurant . The YellowHammer in Waverly AL. Very tough exhausting job. 5 yrs . Haven Haven’t worked outside the home since. End of resume. 🙏

• Oakley
    last year

Do you still sing? Not professionally but just for pleasure. If you do, I would love, as everybody else would, to hear you sing. If you don't want to be seen you can have DH video you singing in the background. I'm dying to hear you sing and you live too far away!

The story of you caring for your mom and switching fields is pure serendipity. And so bittersweet. I'm sure your mom would have been proud of her lovely daughter. First in your class!

Speaking of, DH only told me last year he was 2nd in his class when he graduated law school. He missed out on bragging rights.

Such a multitalented lady you are. I'll be waiting for the video. :)

User thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    last year

I had no idea you liked birds, especially Yellow hammers. What a lovely son you have to name the restaurant sort of after you.

User thanked Oakley
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley I’m sorry my synopsis was so confusing! Momma passed away in 2005 and I graduated in 1988 so we had many years together after her 1 st illness and before her last. She lived with DH and I after my Dad died in 2001 til she died. I took care of Daddy too before he died. After all that I was glad to leave nursing. My son was the chef but not the owner of The YellowHammer.. its the Alabama state bird.

No I never sing . Well with the grands but that’s all. When something is over it’s over at least for me. 🙏c

• User
    Original Author
    last year

@Oakley that was an interview with Mike Hoff the owner. He was talking about his mother. He’s my age so she had been gone for quite awhile I believe.