Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_391302119

Considering removing kitchen wall that separates kitchen from hallway

HU-391302119
last year
last modified: last year

Would like opinions, going to be replacing the kitchen shortly, entrance hallway is separated from kitchen with a stud wall, considering removing this to create a kitchen / island style diner, island replacing where wall currently is but not sure if this will look or feel right in practice. There is a big internal(glass free) window in the partition wall currently. There is a porch before hallway. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you!!

Comments (13)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

without seeing the room, my first thought is making certain the flooring is level.

Often, porch floors are sloped.

A header is expensive, heavy and requires all the foundational requirements, but an open plan is nice. Good luck!

• HU-391302119
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your response, its actually the wall between the hallway and kitchen we are thinking of removing, please find photos attached.

Thanks, Leanne

• shirlpp
    last year

Put the plan in your posting! Not in your profile.

• HU-391302119
    Original Author
    last year

It won't seem to allow me to on my phone, laptops currently getting repaired.

Thanks haha

• kandrewspa
    last year

If that small porch is your front door then I vote against removing the wall. I wouldn't want the kitchen open front and center from the front door. But I see that you're working with not the best floor plan, so I understand where you're coming from.

• Marianne Zwicker
    last year

If you're going to open-up, open up both the kitchen and Living room walls. Then, put a door closing off the center hall to the bedrooms and bathroom area.

• PRO
    dezign interiors, llc
    last year

Agree: If you're going to open-up, open up both the kitchen and Living room walls. Then, put a door closing off the center hall to the bedrooms and bathroom area.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I would keep the section of wall that the door opens on especially because you do have a closed in front porch. I would also get rid of the angled wall and open ( not take down ) the wall into the living room with a nice cased opening so you are creating a much more open space.

You will need an architect and you would need to address the floors. Redo the kitchen floor to cover where the walls were removed and you can do a new wood saddle for the living room .

Good luck!

• Angel 18432
    last year

If there is room, perhaps have a long counter on that taken down wall space so you have a place

to put keys, groceries etc. when you come in the door.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do not see a dining space so are you hoping to use an island for eating? Is the porch the entry to the home? I think you will need at least a good interior designer to handle this right now you have an entry hall to the bedrooms . What is the indent on the right wall ? I think we need some more info please.

• HU-391302119
    Original Author
    last year

Yes the porch is the entry, we would probably use the space for occasional dining but mostly to make it feel a little more open. We are installing bifold doors at the bottom end of living room, indent on the kitchen wall is where there is currently a hatch, thinking the island would be the height of the bottom part of hatch. The bottom right is where the kitchen door is at an angle. Indent on living room wall is nothing just an error in colour it is a solid retaining wall. Please find more photos attached. Many thanks for your thoughts

• HU-391302119
    Original Author
    last year

We want to stay in the immediate area, this road or within a few streets. We had multiple asking price offers when this went up for sale but we have nowhere to go to. Around one house comes up every 8-10months and there is nothing to rent that is reasonable within 3 miles of us haha. The cost of renting would be a lot lot more than the amount we will lose if selling in a cooler market. We want a house here and are willing to wait, just want the flat as comfortable as poss as we aren't sure how long we will be here for! We had considered though! Thanks.

• btydrvn
    last year

If your goal is to move…but there are no options at this time..i would hesitate to do any small changes….this expense may not be needed for resale under your circumstances….and the savings can go toward your next home…