Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_274320912

Kitchen Impossible? Design help please, Asymmetrical lazy susan ?

HU-274320912
last year
last modified: last year

This is the only website, where I've encountered any discussion about Asymmetrical Lazy Susans and the dreaded tight kitchen corner. Is the asymmetrical lazy susan a better option over the 33" lazy susan and/ or the blind corner cabinet? I know on paper, it should provide more visibility and accessibility, but does it, enough to make a difference? How much wider is the opening compared to the 33" lazy susan or 42" blind corner, exactly (my blind corner has a 12" opening)? Bottm line, is an asymmetrical lazy susan an improvement over other, not very good options? Is anyone aware of the possibility of custom asymmetrical lazy susans where a leg maybe up to 42" long? What would be the pros and cons of say a 42" x 32" asymmetrical cabinet?

Does anyone have experience with this kind of cabinet, seen one in person?

It's like pulling teeth to get any information. If it was a solution, you'd think it would be in demand and I'd find positive reviews from all the people who loathe blind corners and don't have an opening large enough for a pull-out. I have searched the internet and found nothing, no reviews or marketing, and one lonely image. I didn't even find much of anything for the 36/33 (alt 33/36) which I know is available from several name brands. I am just puzzled as to why there seems to be no consumer awareness. It makes me wonder what I am missing.

Comments (8)

• HU-274320912
    Original Author
    last year

This is what I visualized, thanks to firstmmo. However, in my case, the short leg would be on the right side and would be smaller, requiring a smaller lazy susan. So, not sure how that would function.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Usually if I am using a lazy susan I start with that corner so not sure what your designer is doing so maybe back to the drawing board and make sure you are using an actual KD not some cabinet salesperson who BTW cannot think outside what is allowed on the software they use.

HU-274320912 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • HU-274320912
    Original Author
    last year

The dimensions for firstmmo's aymmetrical cabinet doors, pictured above are

18 1/4" for left side and 13 1/2" for right side. I' could go 18" on the left but I'd be limited to 9" on the right side.

• theresa21
    last year

I don't know that having a seperate oven and range is the right thing to do in your kitchen, which seems to be lacking in storage and countertop surfaces. I'm guessing that three of your windows must be too long for base cabinets and countertops, am I right about that?

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

I would be redesigning that kitchen and using that large wall on the right. If the windows are too low I would spend some money and get them replaced so that your can add cabinets along the right wall rather than putting a kitchen into that small area. If this is not possible then find a better layout especially the stove should be on an outside wall so it can be vented properly.

• HU-274320912
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Theresa,

Here is an updated image. There is one window in the kitchen, highlighted in red. In the original kitchen, it was an exterior window but is now an opening to the eat-in area. The doorways are highlighted in blue, the top opens to the LR and the bottom opens to the addition (eat-in area). The opening, highlighted in mauve, on the lower right is the exterior door, which has a large window. It is the only natural light. We don't use it much and plan to put a rolling cart for recycling and for extra counter space there.

By way of clarification, this house was built during Carter's stagflation years, when every square inch was begrudged, and, apparently, electrical outlets too. Oh, and the ceilings are 89". The original kitchen is what you see and incorporated the eat-in area in the upper right quadrant. The addition, which now serves as the eat-in area, was added 5 years ago, that is how long we have fiddle, farted around on a kitchen design. Since we put on the addition, the property was rezoned as commercial, so we have to be extra careful budget wise, since it's possible there will be no return on investment. The plan is to replace the cabinetry of the original kitchen and add more counter space, storage and a built in oven where the eat-in area used to be. On my wish list is a pull out pantry, on SIL's wish list is a secondary built in oven.

• HU-274320912
    Original Author
    last year

I know that for the sake of ventilation, the range would be better positioned on the exterior wall, but is it worth it to separate the sink and the range by @ 8-9 feet and have to cross the primary traffic path, carrying pots of water and hot dishes? It would be vented on to the deck; would that be a negative? We weren't planning to move the range but did intend to put in a higher quality recirculating fan. Or, we have toyed with the idea of running a vent above the cabinets to the exterior wall, above where the blind cabinet currently is located. I know it is not ideal.

We haven't selected a designer yet, and plan to in the coming weeks. We don't fancy ourselves to be designers, just trying to anticipate the choices and the trade offs we know are unavoidable.

• Ellen Butler
    last year

Move the range and get one that has two ovens. give up the separate wall oven. Or get a convection microwave or speed microwave instead of a second wall oven. If you have a small kitchen, treat it like a small kitchen.