Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Shipping questions for those who sell items from home

jojoco
last year

I am getting rid of my Mackenzie-Childs collection--not all, just one pattern (Courtly Check). Evidently, there is a large market for this vintage pattern and I've joined several FB groups dedicated to buying and selling this brand. My first choice is to do local sales but that may severely limit my ability to find buyers. In many of the posts, the seller will say "add shipping and paypal fees". So my question is do you charge them once you do all the packing and get rate from say, UPS? Do people get sticker shock from postage quotes and change their mind? Also, if people know the size and weight of the object (easily researched) and my zip code, can they figure out the shipping fees?

Here's the collection for reference:

They are made of heavy gauge steel with a handpainted enamel glaze over it. (To give you an idea of value, the bowls sell, used, for $40 each, minimum. That ladle sells for $150/new. Most of it has been at my summer cottage just taking up space.

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• czarinalex
    last year

I don't ship the items I sell on FB marketplace. But I have sold on Ebay. I've been slimming down my McCoy collection. I take pictures, then wrap and box the item and weigh it. Ebay calculates postage based upon weight, shipper(USPS, UPS, etc) and zip code of the buyer. If you get flat rate USPS boxes from USPS, it simplifies it a bit. I would calculate shipping based upon the farthest distance(ie. Calif.) and then include a flat rate shipping charge in the ad.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

thanks, Czar, that is super helpful information.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I sell some handmade items. I found the best shipping rates are via PirateShip. I weigh and calculate the shipping price. Depending on the weight of the item, flat rate boxes can be a lot more expensive.

• Bookwoman
    last year

I don't know a thing about shipping, but what is that cool piece with the bird on it?

• dedtired
    last year

If you want to sell locally, also consider Sales By Helen. They do online sales. of course they keep a percentage but saves you the hassle of packing and shippping.

Sales By Helen

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Bookwoman, they call it a lantern, really a candle holder. An admin on one of the pages has one ( havent found any others) and she says she wont take less than $350 for it. crazy prices

• Tina Marie
    last year

Jojo, I don't sell from home, but I buy alot from home (LOL!!). I've had several sellers who quote a shipping price before hand, then if it's much higher when they actually ship (I would guess this is mainly due to WHERE it ships), they refund excess shipping cost. I bet your things will sell quickly!

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

This is not helpful to your question, but holy crap that's some good resale value! I was thinking "oh that's such a cute pattern, I'd totally love to buy it from you even though I don't need it" untl you mentioned the price. ;) lol

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    last year

I think we have a huge disconnect with regard to shipping, probably fueled by all those places that offer free shipping. It costs money to ship things. I would consider some strategies, like mentioning shipping savings for multiple orders or making sure that the selling price is high enough to cover unexpected costs if you offered a flat shipping rate. I would never have enough faith in the customer that they could adequately figure out the shipping costs on their own. It seems to be asking for confusion. I would also absolutely add insurance to the configurations, to cover yourself in case somebody tries to pull a fast one.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Good advice, tish and others. I have reached out to the estate sales person ded mentioned, but most likely I will sell it for local pickup only. I'm outside of Philly and there are 33K people on the most popular buy/sell board. Certainly a fair number must live fairly close to me.

• Fori
    last year

If the pieces fit in the USPS flat rate boxes, you can use those rates--some sellers of stuff do that.

• PRO
    4Heidesign
    last year

I ship by USPS all my items. I have to say that I have shipped over 1,500 items successfully, (knock on wood), by Priority Mail, with no problems. A few items have been delayed beyond the Priority Mail ship dates, but that's all.

• jakabedy
    last year

I sold my old wardrobe on ebay. ebay makes the shipping super simple. You can either choose a flat rate box or measure/weigh your items to determine postage, then once the item sells, purchase the postage through ebay and print your shipping label. As I sold mostly soft clothing, I found it more economical to use plastic mailer bags vs. the flat rate boxes. You can set it up so that USPS picks up the packages at your house, but I don't trust the safety of that in my area (porch pirates). I just made a habit of popping by the post office and dropping off the items. They're already labeled, so you don't need to stand in line.

I only sell locally on FB Marketplace and I'm not sure they're set up for shipping ease like an ebay or etsy is.

Don't forget to factor in your shipping-associated cosets like tape and bubble wrap. Those things can get pricy

• 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I only sell locally on FB. With eBay, there are more seller protections and they've helped me in a couple cases. As for shipping with eBay - make sure you weigh and measure the items before listing. eBay has an "estimated weight" that threw my shipping prices waaay off.

• deegw
    last year

Was it here that we had the fascinating conversation about Victoria Mackenzie-Childs, Patience Brewster and Pleasant Rowland of American Girl? IIRC, we covered the Wells College and Auburn NY connections and their interesting (and sometimes odd) ideas about education and decorating.

• graywings123
    last year
    last modified: last year

Pirate Ship is new to me. How are they able to discount UPS and USPS? Their website doesn't seem to explain it. Answering my own question:

Why is pirate Ship so cheap?

In essence, Pirate Ship earns money from the difference between official commercial shipping rates and the unofficial, lower rate it negotiates with its partners. The difference may be as little as a few cents, so the Pirate Ship platform relies on substantial order volume to drive appreciable revenue.Jan 10, 2022

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I learned about Pirate Ship from someone on the forum, I don't remember exactly who it was. Maybe Lars?

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    last year

Was it here that we had the fascinating conversation about Victoria Mackenzie-Childs, Patience Brewster and Pleasant Rowland of American Girl? IIRC, we covered the Wells College and Auburn NY connections and their interesting (and sometimes odd) ideas about education and decorating.

I would love to read that if there's a link : ) .

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    last year

Nothing to add except that I can't stop ogling that cabinet in the background. :-)

• dedtired
    last year

Jo, i noticed that SBH is featuring a MacKenzie Child octagon plate . Might be interesting to follow and see if it sells. Not you pattern.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Ded, I did hear back from SBH. They were interested and wanted to know what my price was for the collection, or if I wanted them to list it and give me 50%. I gave them the list of prices and told them I was going to trry to sell on my own for local pickup. Haven't heard back.

• dedtired
    last year

Fifty percent! Had no idea they charged that much. Im sure the right buyer is out there. I wonder how much Vevet Shoestring charges?