Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parkerjenn4911

Cabinet Refacing…Is this for real?

parkerjenn4911
last year
last modified: last year

I just got an estimate from a reputable local company to reface our kitchen cabinets and im literallly shocked!! $24k!! Three years ago we got NEW semi custom cabinets in our old house from a great local co for $12k! Granted this kitchen is a little bigger but not much! Is this inflation today or is he trying to rail me?? im located in GA!

Comments (13)

• Rho Dodendron
    last year

February 2020 my kitchen, similar to yours was refaced, desk replaced with drawers, and a new counter put in for less $$$$

• parkerjenn4911
    Original Author
    last year

I know! we redid our entire kitchen and new appliances for 30k!

• millworkman
    last year

"I know! we redid our entire kitchen and new appliances for 30k!"

How long ago?

• parkerjenn4911
    Original Author
    last year

• palimpsest
    last year

My understanding of refacing, originally, was that it was less disruptive than a full remodel, technically it was not even necessary to completely empty the cabinets, and it took less time, not that it was supposed to be less expensive, you were paying something for the relative convenience vs. a full remodel.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Refacing is just as expensive as new cabinets, and sometimes more."

^ is myth.

There is simply no way on earth you are going to demolish a kitchen, provide and install new cabinets, and replace/reinstall countertops at the same or lower cost than a reface job. Not happening. Doesn't make any sense.

Refacers have access to some of the finest doors and drawer fronts manufactured in state-of-the-art facilities with super high-end finishes.

You can make a good case for replacement, such as an updated layout, but from a cost effectiveness standpoiint, it's not even close.

• parkerjenn4911
    Original Author
    last year

They were painted and are now starting to chip

• palimpsest
    last year

I know you are really trying to compare refacing to "redoing an entire kitchen for $X", but what is the actual definition of "redid" and "entire"

I work with someone who "Redid her entire kitchen" and it meant she took out the existing cabinets and countertops and installed new cabinets in exactly the same layout, and did not redo any plumbing, any electrical or lighting, or drywall. Just replaced the cabinets and countertops and got an appliance package. Personally I don't consider this "redoing an entire kitchen" (I am not saying your definition is wrong, but for me an entire kitchen is not new cabinets and countertops)

To other people "redoing an entire kitchen" even if you don't remove a wall or anything is essentially a gut remodel of the space with upgraded electrical and lighting, plumbing changes, lots of drywall repair and pretty much all new surfaces + kitchen cabinets + new countertops + new appliances. (This is what I think of as "entire", it's a different definition).

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

The majority of the cost of cabinetry is in the doors, drawer fronts and end panels, not the boxes. Second is in the internal hardware, like drawer glides, roll-out shelves, etc. which are often upgraded in a refacing.

Comparing the cost of new cabinets to refacing is apples to oranges as there is a wide range of cost and quality for either option. The cost of all new frameless cabinets with laminate doors and drawers and no decorative end panels may definitely cost less than all new Walnut or White Oak door and drawer fronts (as an example).

• theresa21
    last year

I just want to say that I think your backsplash is nice!

• PRO
    User
    last year

You can DIY “reface” those for about 6-7K in materials, if you are willing to strip the boxes of the poor paint job, and buy new paint grade doors. Or, a cabinet finishing professional can do that same strip the boxes to refinish and buy new doors, at about double that cost. This group can walk you through how to DIY. It will take you a couple of weeks, full attention, or a couple of months, with doing weekends.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PaintingKitchenCabinetsforProfit/?ref=share_group_link

• parkerjenn4911
    Original Author
    last year

Cabinet tear out, quartz counters, appliances, plumbing, 5k in new electrical. total 32k