Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_stephens3

Beautiful Vintage Sofa ID

Another great and mysterious find. Was in a family for over 50 years, but has since been reupholstered. Any idea as to who designed this masterpiece? Thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

• Sigrid
    last year

Turn it over and examine the bottom or the area under the cushions. In general, furniture is labeled from that era.

• Jilly
    last year

I’m sorry I can’t help, just wanted to say how jealous I am. It’s fabulous!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Looks like modular corner sofa with couple chairs for me.

• linda campbell
    last year

Looks like a pretty generic sectional sofa from the 1970's. If I recall when you bought somethning like that you had a choice of pieces and a choice of right handed or left. And the upholstery looks very 1970 to me.

• Helen
    last year
    last modified: last year

The upholstery fabric looks very 1970's but looks can be deceiving since some people might still have been buying earth tone striped nubby fabric in the 1980's. While there are trends that are definitely of a certain era it is also true that people continued to buy older style stuff - for example even today one can get very traditional "brown" wood furniture if that is what one wants even though no one would think it was from 2022 years from now.

The wood frame looks as though it could be from the 1950's because it is almost a mash up of Danish Modern (what MCM was called at that time) AND a bit of Colonial Revival which was also popular. My mother had a couch in somewhat that style as if you took the cushions off the back was slatted like this one. It didn't have springs or standard upholstery either as it was simpler construction like a Colonial bench might be although OP's couch has more standard bottom upholstered.

• Fori
    last year

The picture doesn't show enough detail, really. We can't even see the wood trim clearly which would be relevant for an actual ID.

• colleenoz
    last year

That frame style was still being used well into the 70s because my inlaws had a couch and matching chairs with similar frames purchased then. However, sectionals were not even thought of in the 50s as far as I am aware. So I'd date it to the 70s or 80s.

• Fori
    last year

The US market definitely had sectional/modular sofas in the '50s. I don't know if this is one of them...

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm guessing 1960s - 70s...? 50 years would make it 70s if it was new then.

Definitely examine it closely for any markings or labels.