Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vargovino

How to add French Country

Jane Vargo
last year

Have a cherry kitchen with a cherry cathedral ceiling and i want to incorporate a French Country flair to it. Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

French country kitchens (or at least the American interpretation) tend to have more painted surfaces - walls, ceiling, cabinetry. They also tend to be a bit quirky too.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

These are 2 samples of this style IMO painting the cabinets will be the first step toward the style you want. I aslo would like to see the other living spaces you do not just plunk a French country kitchen without thinking of how it works with the rest of the living space

Jane Vargo thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jane Vargo
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I really want to keep my cabinets as my husband built them for me then was suddenly taken from me

• la_la Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Changing the table/chairs to a painted finish and bringing in a new chandelier would go along way - you could find a lot of ideas online - i used to shop at Pierre Deux before they went out of business but there are lots of vintage items from them online (ebay and etsy)

• PRO
    Susan Tiritilli
    last year

First of all I am sorry for your loss. I think you could keep the cabinets and change a few things to work towards the look you want. Can you post more pictures. By the way those are really nice cabinets. trends are always changing but those look like great quality.

Jane Vargo thanked Susan Tiritilli
  • Jane Vargo
    Original Author
    last year

• Sandy C
    last year

You might also want to consider reupholstering the chair seats with a French country fabric.

Jane Vargo thanked Sandy C
  • Jane Vargo
    Original Author
    last year

Thought about painting the ceiling white but it too isnice wood

• ptreckel
    last year

I would start with small things. A new table and chairs with French Country lines. Fabrics that evoke Provence. Blue, white, yellow accessories. You might consider an area rug in a large blue and white or yellow and white check. A chandelier that is more vintage French country. A ceramic chicken! (Just kidding!!!). But you need not touch your cabinets. If you have a sitting area adjoining this space, can we see it? I could imagine a pair of chairs upholstered in a lovely Provincial print with a little table between them…for your guests.

Jane Vargo thanked ptreckel
  • Ruth
    last year

I think there are a lot of good suggestions here. I would suggest new countertops, something light like a marble looking stone.

Jane Vargo thanked Ruth