Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aubreesm

Alternative to Headboard?

aubreesm
last year

We just got an adjustable bed and it didnt work with the headboard we had. so now there’s nothing on the wall behind the bed. Looking for ideas for behind the bed that’s not a traditional headboard. Something to hang on wall? Any photos you have?

Comments (33)

• palimpsest
    last year

My headboard is hung on the wall by a cleat, not attached to the bed at all. It's often done in hotel rooms too.

• aubreesm
    Original Author
    last year

Do you have a photo? what is a cleat?

• palimpsest
    last year

It looks like a regular upholstered headboard but it hooks onto a wooden ledge attached to the wall.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

The legs on any upholstered headboard can bolt directly to the wall. Long wood screws/molly etc. : )

Just push the bed to the headboard

• aubreesm
    Original Author
    last year

My problem is that my headboard has ”slipcovers” that slide over the top. i have three that i interchange. If i bolt it to the wall, i wont be able to slide the slipcover on from the top.

• palimpsest
    last year

If it's on a cleat you can lift it on and off but it is attached pretty rigidly. you could cut out a spot for the cleat.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

A large framed mirror? Could even find a unique one that is rounded.

• elisejames
    last year

I’m confused. You want other options but you also want to accommodate three slipcovers? If I’m misunderstanding and you don’t like the idea of attaching it to the wall because you can’t change the covers, perhaps you can just pick one. Wouldn’t that be effectively the same as picking some separate alternative — one thing to replace what you have?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Pick ONE slipcover, one headboard. Good grief. You made a choice to have the bed adjustable. Don't reinvent wheels.

• roarah
    last year

I at one time mounted a white oak two hundred year old door on the wall behind my bed. Mantles are nice too.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Gosh if you googled "non traditional headboard ideas" you get a myriad of options, old fences, art, mirrors, shelving. DH made our bedroom set. The head board is pretty plain jane solid board that keeps the pillows from sliding between the wall and the mattress but is barely seen so I hung our wedding quilt above. If you post a pic your headboard perhaps others here could help you problem solve how to make use of it.

• kelli_ga
    last year

There is probably a way to modify the slipcovers to work with a wall-mounted headboard. Mine only has two points of contact with the wall, near the top. Velcro or hooks or ties maybe?

I just put pillows in front of the upholstered headboard to keep it from getting dirty. I saw a movie where someone used flat cushions, like seat cushions. They looked fine.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I agree with Jan pick one just like 1000s of people do everyday . Change the bedding if you want change or do the french cleat system I would never want abed without a headboard but the are actual sytems made for adjustable beds too

• Erika McConnell
    last year

We have an adjustable Casper. Most headboards and beds can work with them. Just find one that works. I know PB can be expensive for the quality, but I really wanted an arched bed frame a year ago. PB was one of only a couple vendors offering them, and I figured I could get it reupholstered if necessary. PB specifically states that their beds work with adjustable, and I reached out to Casper and PB beforehand to confirm and they assured me it should work (of course no one wants to commit fully lol)

https://casper.com/blog/do-adjustable-beds-fit-in-a-bed-frame/

• Beth Allen
    last year

The colors are off in this pic. I bought the laser-cut cherry wood wall stars, mounted them on a painted piece of luan, and mounted it on the wall.

• justcallmepool
    last year

I'm sorry but I'm kind of cracking up at this post and thread.

IDK what you need but at least show us your previous setup or what you want to work with. Maybe you just need a couple small hooks to hang a tapestry or other fabrics on? Hang a headboard using a cleat and velcro different looks on it when you want?

How often do you change the look of your headboard? Genuinely curious bc that's a new one for me.

• Tara
    last year

You just need to get creative. I've seen where people use old windows mounted on the wall as a headboard. Or even just a large piece of artwork. Or wallpaper just behind the bed. Or paint or stencils, or old doors, or mantels, or a large piece of driftwood. It doesn't have to be a commercially available "headboard".

• Tara
    last year

This looks like a combo of a mirror and mantel

Traditional Bedroom · More Info

This looks like an old door turned sideways

This could be shutters or a mantel

Or how about a bookcase behind the bed?

New use for a barn door anyone?

• aubreesm
    Original Author
    last year

So i had my headboard made with three options. i usually use the light one in summer, the dark one in fall. I have matching pillows. My husband was recently diagnosed with cancer so has to sleep in a more upright position, hence the new adjustable bed. these are photos before we got new bed with two of the slipcovers. i didn’t take photo of the third one. i would love to cut the legs off, raise it up and hook to wall but cant figure out how to be-able to slide the slipcovers down.

to slide the slipcovers down.

• palimpsest
    last year

You would have to mount the headboard to be able to lift off the cleat and you would have to cut the slipcovers to fit around the cleat, and perhaps have a tie below the cleat to hold the bottom of the slipcover tight.

• justcallmepool
    last year

So is it basically a big slipcovered rectangle on 2 legs that were attached to the previous frame?

Can you attach the current legs to the wall, with maybe a spacer piece between legs & wall? Possibly screwing right into a stud near the bottom of legs and near the upholstered part? With a spacer piece that could allow you enough room to slide the covers off/on.

Maybe show the entire headboard piece so we know what we are dealing with. I've also seen just an upholstered "headboard" rectangle hung on the wall with hooks. If it's just a padding inside and no wood frame it wouldn't be too heavy to remove and change out.

upholstered headboard hanging on wall - Google Search · More Info

upholstered headboard hanging on wall - Google Search · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

the summer one is nice. leave it.

change out the pillow covers to a darker color if you like. no slip covers.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

My mother had slipcovers for two double headboards in the master, but like the shag carpet, she never changed them. LOL!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Have a new slip made in a NEUTRAL that suits all seasons, have the old slips tuned into shams that suggest the seasons.............. get a coordinating season throw for the old slips, ( now shams ) for the foot of the bed.

• arcy_gw
    last year

palimpsest has given you just the answer you are looking for and you still resist. It's your only answer if you want to keep your current board and slips. There are times in life when simplifying is called for. Only you and hubby see that headboard. Hang it on the wall with your favorite look and LET IT GO.

• kelli_ga
    last year

Aubreesm, I know how important the bed is, especially if you spend a lot of time there. I love my new upholstered headboard. It makes my room feel like home, even though I don’t even have a bed frame yet. Your bed is a haven where you should feel peaceful, relaxed and restored. It’s for you and your family - not for guests.

If you work with a tailor, you may be able to modify your existing slipcovers to work with a cleat-wall-mounted headboard, and make it easier for you to change the slipcovers and wash them as much as you like. Ideally you and the tailor could come with a design that does not require you to remove the headboard from the wall. Velcro on the top and side edges of the headboard is one option. You could remove the back side of the slipcover. Pegs or decorative screws in the headboard with buttonholes in the slipcover might work. maybe a weighted stiff flange that tucks behind the headboard and another stiff flange at the top, so you could just place the slipcover over the headboard. I don’t know what the design would be, but if I had this problem I would design and build a solution. Maybe there is already something out on the Internet. Or maybe an etsy seller could make something for a standard shaped headboard.

Here is an etsy seller that offers headboards that hang from straps and cushions that hang from pegs, and slipcovers, I think. It might be easier to change slipcovers on these rather than a headboard that has cleats of the back. It would be nice if the slipcover was like a fitted sheet that just wrapped around the front and edges of the headboard.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/iheartnorwegianwood?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1001308561

If you do something with a cushion with removable washable cushion covers, you could simply slide the cushion out of the straps, remove the cover and wash it, then zip it back on afterward. A cushion would be lightweight. You could also consider outdoor cushions that have washable covers.

aubreesm thanked kelli_ga
  • Maureen
    last year

You could add a rod and on back of headboard add hooks. Add gromments on fabric to fit over the hooks and hang back onto rod Like below (with or without the tabs).

An easier idea is to pick one fabric and update seasonally with different art above or use a neutral comforter and change the cushions.

aubreesm thanked Maureen
  • Karen T
    last year

Really Jan Moyer? Did you mean to sound so rude?

• orchidrain
    last year

kelll_ga....what a kind and informative response to the post author. I commend you for the thought you put into it to help the poster, unlike some who choose to be snarky.

• kelli_ga
    last year

Welllllll… I REALLY like my bed!

• aubreesm
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks kelli-ga…you were really helpful. Appreciate the time you took.

• Tara
    last year

Maybe you can slit the sides of your slipcovers, where it will be closed at the top and open along the sides, then attach velcro in strategic spots, then slip it over the top of the headboard and secure the sides with the velcro after it is slipped over the headboard. You would need to secure the headboard to the wall only in a few spots along the sides, leaving enough space between the headboard and wall to slip the back side of the cover over it. You would probably need to attach 2x4s, painted the same color as your wall, to the wall at the bottom where the legs or bottom of the headboard would be, and then mount the headboard to the 2x4s, so that you can have the space to slip the back of the cover over the headboard. If you don't sew, a seamstress could handle that.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County