Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex_depaul

Same MSI prefab quartz that doesn’t match

Alex Depaul
last year

They deivered my prefabricated quartz countertop yesterday and the peninsula piece doesn’t match the two smaller ones. It looks like a different product to me. Fabricator now tells me that this tends to happen with peninsulas. It doesn’t make sense to me why a man made product would vary so much in color and veins. Has anybody else been told that? They offered a discount or to replace but I would likely have to get slabs and spend more money.

Comments (15)

• gtdj519
    last year

I dont have quartz so i cant comment about experience, but that pic looks terible i agree with you and would upset. id want a replacement at no cost . thats not right

Alex Depaul thanked gtdj519
  • M Miller
    last year

I was going to say that different runs of the Quartz manufacturing can look different even when the same pattern. However in your case, it's not only the shade that is different, it is the amount of the veining. It looks like they put in a different Quartz pattern. The fabricator had to have seen that when they were installing, though I wish you'd noticed before they finished installing. You need it replaced with the same pattern that you ordered. What was the name of it?

Alex Depaul thanked M Miller
  • millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

Prefab means they have pieces already sized and these most likely are different dye lots. It's man made by they are made by mixing and pouring resin and it flows how it flows.

Alex Depaul thanked millworkman
  • Alex Depaul
    Original Author
    last year

M Miller you are right, I should’ve inspected it before they glued it. I was being respectful of their work and giving some space. This is the Carrara Morro. Fabricator says the difference was not noticeable at their shop 🤔.

• M Miller
    last year

Fabricator says the difference was not noticeable at their shop

But when they were installing, why didn't they see it then?

Just going on the MSI website, the peninsula looks like Carrara Morro, and the cooktop piece looks like MSI Carrara Marmi. Of course online pictures are different than real life, but that is how it looks from here. Because both patterns start with the name "Carrara", and the second word in both names start with "M", it could be what happened. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Alex Depaul thanked M Miller
  • Rehabit
    last year

I have quartz with similar seam and its not noticeable. Yours looks like 2 different countertop. It needs to be redone

Alex Depaul thanked Rehabit
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Measure the sink piece please. If it's more than 42", it's not a prefab, it started as a slab. The cooktop piece probably is prefab. No way is a slab going to match a prefab.

Doesn't matter; it's a do-over anyway. And make sure they knock the meanness off the cooktop cutout edges and left radii in the corners please.

Alex Depaul thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • lharpie
    last year

I would insist on replace at no cost. i would expect countertop to be done from same dye lot. These look completely different. How upsetting! i don’t think it’s your job to hover and check at every step. it’s quartz and i would expect it to match!! it is just the seaming i would be concerned about. are they blind??

Alex Depaul thanked lharpie
  • Alex Depaul
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone, yes they might be blind or lazy. Not sure. They said today they will get another peninsula piece from the same batch and cut two smaller pieces so all three match. No additional cost to me, except for going another week without a kitchen and not being able to sleep last night.

• Alex Depaul
    Original Author
    last year

@mmiler that's probably what happened. I went with MSI thinking they would be more reliable.

• Alex Depaul
    Original Author
    last year

Hi! Does anyone know if MSI keeps inventory of the quartz slabs that are fabricated in the same batch? The fabricator told me they would find two matching pieces to the peninsula (which I prefer over the smaller ones) that were fabricated within the same batch, so we could move forward with installing the sink, which we did.

Then last week they changed the story and said they were removing the peninsula and I was keeping the smaller pieces (which I don't like), which would leave me without a sink again. We declined and asked them to find the matching piece to the peninsula. Yesterday they made it sound like they are "trying" to find the matching pieces to the peninsula but if they can't find it, they'll match the smaller pieces. I honestly don't know who to trust. I'm not dealing directly with MSI since we placed the order through the contractor but I'm thinking about talking with them directly. Any thoughts?

• Rehabit
    last year

Your not going to get a match. They need to give u all new countertop that are actually the same slabs. They r trying to save money and put off doing the right thing IMO

Alex Depaul thanked Rehabit
  • Alex Depaul
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @M Miller and @Rehabit I went to MSI today and their rep said prefab pieces are not meant to be connected because of the mismatch between runs. They said the contractor or fabricator should've told me that. Everyone blames each other, it is so frustrating!

Nowhere on MSI's website does it say that prefabs are meant to be used as stand alone pieces. They recommend that I get slabs to redo the work. Since I ordered prefabs I would probably owe the difference AND the fabricator will want more money because a slab is more labor intensive. My other option is making them order 3 new large prefab pieces from the same batch/run and cutting them as needed.

• K H
    last year

I’m sorry to say but this looks horrible. I’d be so angry. That’s why I think that homeowners should get it in writing that the fabricator ensures that they use slabs from the sand block/batch to ensure that colors are the same. I went to the manufacturer to select each slab to ensure they look identical. Countertops are too expensive to not be picky when selecting them.
    I’d request a replacement at No charge. Hope you’ll get this resolved soon.

Alex Depaul thanked K H