Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnoven

Please help design my master bedroom and bathroom

johnoven
last year
last modified: last year

We are working on (again) our master bedroom and bathroom layout but at this point, floor systems and trusses have been order and concrete is going in soon so we cannot change the exterior walls. We still have the freedom to change any interior walls so we are giving the design one last go to make sure it's just right.

Here's a couple specs to be aware of:

1) The bathtub is undermount and with space around all the edges for the deck the final dims are approx 72"x42"

2) We are absolutely set on having our vanity be 30"+18"+18"+30". That's sinks separated by 2 sets of drawers.

3) We will have a king bed.

4) Windows and exterior doors have been ordered so if we change those now then we have to pay for more.

Anything else can change in size.

Please let me know where you think we have wasted space or if you think there's a completely different layout or entry point that makes more sense.

Thank you!

John

Comments (20)

• PRO
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

There are a lot of improvements that can be made to this plan. Consider hiring a local architect that will design a home with you that meets your needs and fits your site.

Doors can not swing over stairs.

• johnoven
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your response. That door is a half door, basically a baby gate that will eventually be taken out if the children ever grow up.

In your first image are you suggesting swapping what you have labeled as bathroom and office? Because we would prefer to have the window in the office, but that's not a hard requirement.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

The arrows identify entries into rooms. Each rounded-off rectangles are labeled in the locations shown.

• LH CO/FL
    last year

Mark's layout is a massive improvement. The office, bath and closet all need separate entrances.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I see so many issues in this whole hous epaln I agree at least get a designer to take a look before you strat the build. BTW kitchen walkways are too naroow for sure .. I hate undermount tubs they are a pita to get in and out of for no real purpose a nice step in alcove soaker tub is so much better .Never access to a closet through the bathroom . Toilet rooms are just plain silly when inside a bathroom . No one should beusing the toilet when someone else is in the bathroom. If you like the idea then do what they do in Europe a separate room entry off the hall with a toilet and sink the office should not be entered through the bathroom either You need serious help and ASAP for many things that make this a poorly designed house .

• bpath
    last year

Does your bedroom open immediately into the family entrance area from the garage?

• johnoven
    Original Author
    last year

bpath: No, but it is close. That full house plan has a different master layout than we are considering now. When i get back on my pc I will try and switch out that house plan for an updated one.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I think you will learn to hate closets with by-pass doors on closets.

• johnoven
    Original Author
    last year

Bifold doors would be preferable or swinging doors?

I'm trying to work out a solution with your original suggestion (Mark), but I'm struggling to fit all 4 bathroom items (vanity, tub, shower, and toilet room) in a rectangle and also have room for a point of entry. Take a look at the full house plan I just upload and also the master layout pic I'm attaching to this comment, maybe this layout would better meet your suggestion for separate entry points, I would just have to move the entry to the closet by putting that entry across from the office entry. One reason we moved away from this layout is because that hallway felt like wasted space. The other reason is because we found a larger bathtub that we really like so instead of 5'x36" it would be 6'x42".

• johnoven
    Original Author
    last year

Also, these plans were custom drawn by an architect, just to put everyone's mind at ease. I gave him the layout though, so you can't blame him for the layout, only for not correcting my ill-conceived ideas.

• LH CO/FL
    last year

Look at how much more room for clothing you would have if you moved the door to the closet out to the hallway instead of through the bathroom.

• lmckuin
    last year

Do you mean to have no coat closet for guests? And on the kid wing, I would make the top bathroom an en suite with the 1st bedroom. At some point the kids will grow up and it’s nice to have a guest room with its own bathroom. You won’t want/ need two hall baths right across from each other.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I like Mark’s last posting with the master bedroom moved to the back corner. It gives the bedroom more privacy and windows on two sides.

Pulling the office forward makes it feel less like a person would be working back in the farthest reaches of the house.

There is no wasted space in the bathroom and no tiny toilet closet.

And I like it because there are no infernal pocket doors anywhere!

• 3onthetree
    last year

"you can't blame him for the layout, only for not correcting my ill-conceived ideas."

Heh heh, you could say that there is a little bit of fun or satisfaction in commenters making those corrections beyond just helping. Hopefully you follow any advice and your architect grows some cajones of their own.

Yesterday I had thought of a similar layout of moving the Office as Mark's last, so will +1 on that one. The only differences were creating a short hall to get the Office door out of the Bedroom (maybe combining a back Pantry door in that hall), maybe putting the exterior door on the back Porch or whatever is going on there (with rotating the bed), and any Mudroom closet/back-to-back Office closet could encroach into the unnamed area which I think is an oversized Mudroom, giving more room for the Office and Bedroom to slide down.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"cajones"

I'm not even going to ask.

• AnnKH
    last year

I would swap the mud room and laundry, so the dryer can vent directly outside, and you could have a window there.

• cpartist
    last year

Your second bedroom layout is so much better because you'll have windows on 2 walls in the bedroom. However your closet is barely a walk in with it only being 4'6" wide. Very tight.

Also clothes can't turn corners.

The toilet room doesn't need 8' in length. Again poor design.

Your shower doesn't need to be 6'. If you make it 5' and then add 1' to the closet, that would be a better use of space.

Actually Marks layout is better except he has a thing against toilet rooms. I'd switch the shower and tub and then enclose the toilet in his version with the wall of the shower being solid. (Glass walls look good but are a huge pain to clean.)

As for your whole house plan, there is so much that could be improved.

Your kitchen with the dog leg island and the second island is awful. Not bad. AWFUL! As in really poor design and going to be a real PITA to cook in.

Also, these plans were custom drawn by an architect, just to put everyone's mind at ease. I gave him the layout though, so you can't blame him for the layout, only for not correcting my ill-conceived ideas.

Well it's obvious he wasn't too good in the fact he wasn't willing to let you know why the design was bad. A good architect would have suggested other ways to make the design better and helped you to see why this was not such a good design.

• rainyseason
    last year

I agree with the group. This entire plan can be much, much better. The current layout reads very amateur, and I don’t think it will have the function and flow that you’d want. It’s not just a matter of fixing the primary bedroom layout. I know it’s hard to switch gears now—but better now than later in the build— and given all the money and time involved in building, you want to start with quality design. You need someone of design talent, not someone to rubber stamp your own design. You wouldn’t hire a surgeon who was willing to do your coronary bypass according to your schematic, would you?