Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bevys

help decorating updated bathroom

Bev
last year

Need some advice about adding, deleting and moving these items on shelf. Today I took one shelf down . Really want to give this area a “I love it”! Look.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I visited your idea books and nothing in there is anything like this very country cabin type style .I do not like Edison bulbs ever in any space IMO the mirror and the light are both way to cluncky for such a small space Is this a powder room? Can you post some pics of your living room for instance to give me some idea why this at all . I think removing one shelf and all the stuff was a good idea but wht you have lust looksnot inviting at all. The mirror is too smal the lighting is uesless but I need a clue as to what the style is you like so the LR pic will help.

• Susan Emig
    last year

Hi Bev, is this a powder room? Or a full bath with tub and/or shower? What is the style in your home?

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello. Idk that this does not show "I like home, and the way I've decorated with what I have."

is there a comment you share as to where you found the cab/mirror?

• Bev
    Original Author
    last year

Patricia. Here are a few pics of our other rooms. Let me know if you need more

• Bev
    Original Author
    last year

Susan Emig, it’s a small bathroom. Has room enough for shower, vanity and toilet

• Bev
    Original Author
    last year

Everdebz. I bought the cabinet off of EBay.

• Bev
    Original Author
    last year

Patricia Colwell. We replaced the old sink and medicine cabinet. This picture is when my husband got the new cabinet installed and the lights were ones we were considering. Do you think this style looks better?

• Bev
    Original Author
    last year

• Cate
    last year

I think it would look better with an oval mirror but bigger. thete are too many linear shapes imho

• eld6161
    last year

I would choose a color, rather the neutral. Healing Aloe, Sea Salt. A blue/ green

• mschnapp
    last year

IMHO when you have such a small space and are stuck (literally) with tile (looks either pink or orange beige, given the grout color), I think you need to lean into that color instead of trying to avoid it. In your case the window casing is orange, so why not go with that palette, and just keep repeating that orange, gold color around the room? Orange and blue, orange and lime green, or orange and salmon are all natural combinations. In the photo below, they did exactly that, using the tile as their color "inspiration".

Remembering that our eyes stop at contrast, so in your existing space, my eyes keep stopping on the dark brown/black items. Notice in the photo below how the eye starts at the floor tile, then next stops at the cabinet color, then at the countertop but then rises to the bright orange flower arrangement, and finally to the mirror frames, keeping the eye moving up.

SW Williams Dover White in a semi-gloss is an ever so lightly tinted orange based off-white color that might be good for the cabinet color if you want a neutral color for the cabinet. You can then use that same color on the walls in eggshell as it will tie into the window sashing too. If you keep the colors similar, the eye will keep moving around the room and as a result, make the room look larger. Then for warmth, using brushed bronzed gold pulls and faucets, as well as brushed bronzed gold in the mirror frame and vanity light will warm up the darkness in the room. You can always paint the support bar under the window to get rid of the stainless, or find a silver/gold make-up stand mirror accessory for over the toilet to tie that support bar into the color scheme.

You can see below how they successfully used silver in the faucets because they had so much warmth from the cabinets and mirror frames, so that is an option as well.

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

When looking for vanity lighting, I saw the most ingenious vanity light where someone took a wall sconce that had an upper and lower light, then simply mounted it sideways. While they didn't do that in the photo below, you can see how you could take just one of the wall sconces shown here and simply mount it sideways over your mirror instead. Wall sconces tend to be less expensive too than a number of vanity lights on the market.

41st · More Info