Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amacmillan2000

remove exterior shutters? other ideas to update?

Smallbath5
last year

Landscaping is being redone. Remove the shutters, right? They are stationary and stuck on. Any other suggestions besides new drought tolerant landscaping? The lamp post doesn't work, so that's likely coming out. Planning on updated house numbers.

Comments (14)

• tracefloyd
    last year

Do the walkway light fixtures work? If so update.

Yes, remove all the shutters. I can't see the frontdoor color, but paint a dramatic color. Can't see the porch light but it is probably also colonial-replace that.

Don't tear out all of the bushes, some of them appear to be hardy and willl make nice accent specimens here and there. The trees look healthy. trim them.

What I have seen done and it is striking...imagine the shutters extending the full width of the wall, but done in horizontal stained slats. Takes the house from colonial into a mid-century modern accent wall. I will try and find some pics.

Will think about this some more but it's good to throw some ideas around.

Smallbath5 thanked tracefloyd
  • Smallbath5
    Original Author
    last year

The slat wall would go on the brick wall by the big window? The rest of the house has lower brick veneer wall. Here are some more pics of the front door, etc.

• tracefloyd
    last year
    last modified: last year

The slat wall is the closest I could find in construction but not the placement for your house. I don't have software to show you but picture this --- where the shutters are now, on the largest plate glass window, imagine the shutters the same height as they are now and placed where they are now, but instead of the shutters extending 1 foot out from the window frame, they were very wide, maybe 6 or 7 feet wide, or wide enough to reach each corner of that front wall. Now imagine if they were the same material and construction as the slat wall pictured.

Very mid-century modern touch, and as your house is mid-century it would be appropriate type of ornamentation. I've seen it and it's fantastic, eye catching.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Paint the peaked siding above the brick over the front window to match the roof color. Paint the metal rail by the front door charcoal gray. Paint the front door charcoal gray.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Remove the bushes from around the big rock at the entrance and create a rock garden. Continue the bender board in a circle or free form. Not along the front of the house. Fill the space in bright white marble rock ground cover plus a couple more other gray rocks and some dramatic succulents, cacti etc., all in proportion the rock and the space.

This will be the focal point of the landscape, draw the eye in, and welcome you up the walk to the front door. Follow the bender board with white rock in the linear space on each side of the front walk all the way to the sidewalk. White marble gravel is mid-century. Go big or go home lol! I just noticed on the right side near the door the bender board veers off. Straigten it to continue the white sriip all the way up.

• teresa_or
    last year

Are you planning on painting the stucco and trim? The current color looks almost pink-ish, at least on my screen. I love all your brick but I don't think that paint color does it justice.

Also, don't be too sure about getting rid of the lamp post. You can buy a new, more modern lamp and post that would look great in front of your house. Not sure the style you are going for but here are a couple (of many) options.

Trinity 2-Light Outdoor Post Lamp, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

Lexington 1 Light Dusk to Dawn Black Outdoor Post Lamp Clear Glass · More Info

Smallbath5 thanked teresa_or
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I like tracefloyd's idea.

If you can photoshop (or know someone who can), try to remove the shutters and see if you like that. Sometimes shutters aren't the quite right touch, yet without them the house looks like a face without eyebrows and eyelashes - because the window trim is too dinky or even non-existent. Window trim can be beefed up, even with brick (it's called brickmolding) so you may want to do that at the least.

Then try on the horizontal slat wall idea.

• Smallbath5
    Original Author
    last year

The paint is pinkish and I agree it isn’t quite what I like.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    last year

I would go much more mcm, a classic lollipop fixture on the lamppost would be more appropriate with the style of the home (once shutters are removed)

• tracefloyd
    last year

I found some software. Here the slats are horizontal on both sides. White gravel walk and around the rock. Wall peak is same gray paint color as roof shingles.

• tracefloyd
    last year

Here the slat wall is vertical with horizontal slats drawing attention to entry. You could have two, one each side of the window in symmetry. Final width and stain TBD. The original shutters are removed.

Here Shutters and bushes are removed to show off the brick. The rectangles are meant to represent brick.

• Smallbath5
    Original Author
    last year

I'm thinking that front window part of the house is the most decorative with the brick and the peaked roof and the porch. The left side of the house is more plain, so I may try to mock up those vertical slats idea over there. hmmm... options!

• tracefloyd
    last year

YES! Good idea. Get painter's tape and lay out your dimensions. One between the windows OR also on one each side for a total of three? You got this.