Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisa_notte_sorkin

Over-sink lighting challenge

AMN
last year
last modified: last year

Hello! We're renovating this 45 year old kitchen. Need light fixture ideas for the sink area.

Light needs to have good output.

Ceiling is sloped. Lowest point (seen here) is 84" from floor. Space above window trim is about 6.5".

We're looking at black fixture finishes for this space.

Considering sconces, but afraid it's going to look cramped. Ceiling light fixtures that accommodate sloped ceilings are not very attractive.

Any help appreciated. Options are over and underwhelming at the same time!

Cabinets will be light gray. Walls Chantilly Lace. Backsplash will be Bedrosians Cloe White. Counters Blanco Maple.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• tdemonti
    last year

Can you paint that fixture whitish to blend with the ceiling? And buy new globes. i like how it covers the wide sink area.

AMN thanked tdemonti
  • AMN
    Original Author
    last year

Hi. I appreciate the wideness too. The resident doesn't care for the fixture to begin with, and I don't think we could convince them to keep it + go through the troubleshooting of modifying it. Thanks for the idea.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

why don't you install canned lights? that would make things so much better.

you don't have room for a sconce (the header beam is right there)

Or, move the light to center rather than over the sink? (is there another light in there?)

otherwise, look for a semi-flush mount light w/sloped ceiling adaptor.

https://homedecorbliss.com/using-sloped-ceiling-adapter/

this one is adjustable to a slope

so is this

or these

you could try a few of these or similar lights.

here's the flushmount I was talking about w/a pendant over the sink

any type of light w/3 or more bulbs is going to look too big over the sink.

what you could try is a pendant over the sink, and do a flush mount in the center

see how they did here? (not this style, just the types of lights)

you could also do a trak light in the middle and the pendant over the sink

AMN thanked Beth H. :
  • AMN
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for all those ideas, Beth H! Good point about the header. That reduces options considerably, which my brain welcomes at this point.

• artemis78
    last year

We have the same double window setup and used pendants on ropes, which might work on a sloped ceiling. After much debate we hung one in the center of each window and have been happy with that lighting.

AMN thanked artemis78
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

I should think one can light with 3500-4000K LED would do it. Putting LEDs under the upper cabinets and a vertical towel holder on the side of the left cabinet would be really helpful.

AMN thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Rachel Lee
    last year

A simple flush mount light. There’s no need for any “statement” fixtures there.

AMN thanked Rachel Lee
  • wsea
    last year

Another vote for a simple can light. no need to add more visual clutter to the space.

AMN thanked wsea
  • arcy_gw
    last year

The fixtures suggested are all too modern with the sink. Kitchens in my life all have had just a can. A fixture obstructs the view out the window and has the potential to get in the way of heads and other large objects over time.

AMN thanked arcy_gw
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

You need pot lights and for sure not Edison bulbs in any lighting ever . Are you changing the sink ? IMO black is not a good choice in this kitchen and not gray ether IMO. I would suggest you slow down and really think if you love every bit of the function of this space before throwing a ton of money at a space for no reason.

AMN thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • AMN
    Original Author
    last year

Hi, all. Thanks for the suggestions and commentary. As I mentioned in the writeup, it's 45 year old kitchen. The cabinets are getting replaced because they're literally disintegrating. We find wood particles in the drawers every time we open them! LOL

We've spent years carefully planning a sorely needed full renovation. New everything except for flooring and appliances (recently replaced). We're inquiring about cans, but it may not be possible with the way the home was built or without tearing up stuff more than we want. Fingers crossed.

The house's style has a touch of PNW modern, and I think it can handle fixtures that lean that way (but not too much). It's funny, @artemis78, there were two white globes on a swagged chain above the sink when the house was first built. Heck. Maybe we'll head that way but with a fresh perspective on that original fixture.

• artemis78
    last year

We actually chose our pendants specifically because they weren't modern--we wanted a vintage vibe so were actively avoiding canned lights. They are hung high enough that they don't interfere with views or heads (though we do have 9' ceilings). The length was adjustable so we could set them exactly where we wanted them. The big debate at the time was whether we should have a single fixture centered on the sink or two, one centered on each window. Two worked out just fine and provides plenty of light. (These initially had Edison bulbs but now have LED.) Looks like this (sorry, house is being painted so windows are coated right now--they aren't actually all hazy!):

There is a switch hidden behind all the messy morning dishes. (ETA: These are Rejuvenation, though also 11 years old so not sure if they still make anything similar.)

AMN thanked artemis78
  • AMN
    Original Author
    last year

Update: I misremembered the height of the wall there. It's 90 not 84. Still short, and it still means we shouldn't crowd the space, but not as bad as orig figured.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert