Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donutz81

Update my house with Paint

donutz81
last year

Please help me update the outside of my house! What colour should I paint it? Windows and eves will be staying white. Tree in the front is also staying. Should it be one tone or multi-tone?

Comments (18)

• housegal200
    last year

You need to show house, entryway, more landscaping, and particularly the roof to make sure everything harmonizes. More photos.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

photos are not staying put, not sure what Houzz has going on but when you click on the post the photo is gone. try uploading more photos in the comments.

• jackowskib
    last year

Hard to tell the roof color. If it’s black then the sky is you limit! What are your favorite colors?

• donutz81
    Original Author
    last year

We are wanting to re-sell the place so want to cost effectively freshen up the place. Not looking to do any other landscaping. Shingles are a light grey

• donutz81
    Original Author
    last year

Here are a few more pictures

• housegal200
    last year
    last modified: last year

Does it need a paint job? If not, the blue is fine. Paint front door yellow.

To make house look larger and more open , cut down the evergreen. It looks like a big nose :) Trim the plantings you have on side and near the driveway. Maybe create a round cedar mulched bed around the other tree and put a cedar bench under it to link to the wood fence and extend the overall size of the house. Stain wood fence cedar color if it needs it. This will give you an inviting cottage feel.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Im going to say it again, the house color is not the problem, and as a potential buyer, the over grown shrub, the hedge, and the over grown tree by the door, are such simple fixes. rather than spending money on painting the house, leave that to the new buyer. simple landscape and clean up of the yard is all this place needs, maybe a pleasure wash. You have a beautiful lawn, upsell the good dont band aid the bad.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

These are the first three things I noticed, the color of the house didnt even grab me.

• housegal200
    last year

Summing up:

--Cut down evergreen and trim those plantings. Trim hedges next to driveway. When you show the house in photos and for visitors, move your cars well away from house so someone can see all of it.

--Don't paint blue unless it's in bad shape. Then go deeper blue with yellow door. Note this also has cedar fence. Go for cottage feel.

--Create a mulched bed around the other tree. Add a cedar bench.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Slap a price tag on it and see if you're shocked at the results. If it sells right out of the gate, you're free to move on and invest the time and money in your new property. If you don't get any offers in a month, and you should be tracking the feed back from prospects, analyze what's being said about the property and tackle those issues only.

• donutz81
    Original Author
    last year

It doesn’t need a paint job. It was one idea we did have but we aren’t stuck on it. The pics are from Google maps and won’t be used for any real estate purposes. The hedge has already been trimmed- Google just caught us on a bad day 😜. And the vehicles will definitely be removed. Should we go for a yellow door?

• RedRyder
    last year

Yes to the yellow door. Just make sure it’s the right yellow. Too bright won’t work with your blue. And too pale won’t make a statement. Your house is cute!

What’s the real estate market like in your area?

• housegal200
    last year

Look at first photo I posted for the yellow door color if you're staying with the blue you have. When time comes to show the house, put cedar planters by the entrance. The mockups others posted look wonderful. Landscaping is the first impression, not the paint color. Once the tall evergreen is gone, the house will really open up. Good luck.

• donutz81
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really do appreciate all the feedback. I am now leaning towards leaving it blue.

We will have to take a closer look at the paint behind the cedar. The cedar has been there for at least 15 years. I am not sure what colour the paint is behind the cedar. The front of the house is south facing so I wonder if the cedar has protected the siding and if the siding is darker behind the cedar. At the very least, we will give it a very good trim (a nose job 😂)

The housing market is pretty good right now where we are. I don’t live in a big city so we don’t see the big housing price fluctuations. We currently hope to put it on the market in Feb or March 2023. There will still be snow on the ground then. But if it doesn’t sell right away, I will be sure to throw in some bright annuals in the front until the day lilies start blooming. Maybe bright yellow marigolds or some bright pinks.

• ci_lantro
    last year

I don't think that you realize why that cedar needs to be removed. It needs to go because having a large tree growing so close to the foundation of a home can cause damage to the foundation.

The realtor is going to tell you that it needs to go, the problem will be noted on a home inspection report and any half way savvy potential home buyer is going to be concerned about it. Concerned about the foundation and the condition of the siding behind the tree. Is the siding starting to rot? Is the paint a different color? Will I need to repaint the house?

Your local market may be OK right now but raising interest rates are already casting a pall on the market. Who knows where interest rates will be in six months? Probably higher than they are now. The shift is decidedly in favor of a buyer's market. All the more reason to remove that obvious problem.

• housegal200
    last year

Take down that cedar as everyone has said. It's a huge negative. If the paint is faded behind it, match the color to the rest of the house and paint it when you do the yellow entry door. Put a few fall potted plants at your entryway Take your outdoor real estate photos when the yard looks as good as possible now. Don't show snow photos or a wintry yard in early spring. You can get the inside in great shape over the winter.

• donutz81
    Original Author
    last year

Update
    We didn’t paint and left the outside blue. We did use some yellow on the door which looks better in person than my photos. With the money we saved from not painting, we invested in updating the kitchen. End result- real estate agent listed it higher than we thought and we had an offer within a week. Conditions just lifted and it is officially sold 🎉🍾. Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County