Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hms0909

Which professional for deck, retaining wall, patio design?

Hannah
last year

Looking to replace a deck (two story) and retaining wall and potentially tie into another deck and covered porch. I'm struggling coming up with ideas on what to do and was wondering who I could hire to help with deck design. Is it an architect, landscape architect, landscape designer, some other professional? Not sure where to start...

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Any experienced and well-qualified landscape designer would be able to help. Or a landscape architect, although most LA's - at least in my area - tend to focus on commercial projects and rarely are involved in residential projects unless very high end.

• Hannah
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)! Yes, this would not be a very high end project, so I'm thinking a landscape architect would be out of our wheel house.

• PRO
    Sorell Interiors
    last year

I would start with a landscape architect and check pricing. If it doesn't work out then I would go to a contractor.

Hannah thanked Sorell Interiors
  • anj_p
    last year

A few ideas.

1. Ask your neighbors/post on a neighborhood social media site

2. Google deck builders & landscapers in your area.

3. Drive through a newer development and you will likely see people getting decks built & landscaping done. Note the company names on the trucks and call them.

Decks are not really landscaping and not really heavy construction. In our area you need a permit but your contractor doesn't need a license (YOU could build it if you wanted to).

For the retaining wall, anything under 4' (around here) doesn't need any special design/can be done with retaining wall blocks from home depot. Landscapers generally can do that for you. If you need something taller you may need engineering/permits. Some landscapers may be able to handle that, but some won't. Some landscapers probably have deck people on their team, but those are probably big companies. We had a deck guy who only does decks, and we have a landscaper guy who only does landscaping and patios.

It might not be a high end project but it sounds like an expensive one. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Hannah thanked anj_p
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

FWIW, most "landscaping companies" do not have staff designers, unless a dedicated design/build firm. For the most part, all they will do is execute the plans that have been prepared a qualified designer. A 'landscaper' is not necessarily a 'designer'........in fact, very few are :-)

And in my area, costs for design services have not increased significantly although costs for materials - particular lumber - have. Also labor. If you have any DIY skills, you may be able to do much of the work yourself

Hannah thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting