Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_n52

Help with layout and additional bathroom

Dee L
last year
last modified: last year

In need to advice on how to renovate this house and create extra bathroom and moving the kitchen. i was thinking of removing the existing kitchen and have it in the dining room but theres a fire place in dining room. do you think i should convert the laundry to bathroom and add laundry where meals area is

Comments (23)

• herbflavor
    last year

just off hand...removal of tub or shower and redo the one bath as ensuite with the end bedroom. close off hall entry to that bath then. create one larger bath/combo laundry zone w entry from hall then. maybe squidge over into meal area a bit if you need to..depends on how compact and what sq footage you need for the bit of laundry zone behind doors within the space etc. thats a fun thing to plan...theres a lot of ways to handle kitchen reno ...... considering two eating spots and large lounge . four bedrooms.....w 2.5 or 3 baths seems about right.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It is horrendously laid out, in far too many aspects.. Get an architect. To your site. Get a kitchen designer as well. The plan doesn't even have dimensions, the question can't be answered here.

• herbflavor
    last year

one can assume [ but maybe this is incorrect ]...that the scope of what you want to do has not been determined. thats what I thought. I thought you have yet to decide exactly what you will do and therefore what budget will be available for that....... is this a case of all [ large price tag] or nothing???? I did not get that from the request for opinions. heres a nice laundry zone not interfering w users of sink or toilet .....if zones within the hall bath become possible you might get something quite workable and not

Norwood Bathroom · More Info

have to expand that too much.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

I would start by answering these questions

1. How many people are living in the house?

2. What rooms in this house do you use daily?

A. Do you eat in the meals area or the dining area? Which do you use? Based on lay out you don't need both.

B. Do you use the lounge? Or is the family room where you hang out?

3. What type of budget do you have? Really to get this right it will take a lot.

4. Does the lot accomodate straightening out the kitchen and dining walls or was the home built to accomadate views?

Based on the answers above this space can be shifted to be more effecient. Without knowing your daily living habits, at first glance you have a lot of wasted space in the meals area and lounge area. The fireplace was placed in weird place as well.

• latifolia
    last year

Do you already own this home, or are you considering buying it? It certainly has some curious features, like the master bedroom with two windows looking into the carport, the wc with no sink for hand washing and the two bedrooms without closets. Makes me wonder if it wasn't the victim of an unfortunate garage conversion.

Please tell us more about your family and your goals for this house.

• Dee L
    Original Author
    last year

already own. its been a rental and we plan to renovate to live in i

• Dee L
    Original Author
    last year

I like to be 4 bedroom 3 bathroom and new kitchen and improve the layout. budget is 150k.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Not enough money. Sorry......no way.

From the look of the existing plan? There is already too much crammed into a too small envelope to hold it.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

Having two full bathrooms next to each other .....wiser use of money is to make one bath with a more effecient layout. The bar area in the family room already has plumbing in that area. A powder room there for guest and quick use making it a 2 1/2 bath .

Are you in the U.S.? $150K for what you want/need is not going to get you it. But perhaps if you are located elsewhere it could. You have a lot of walls that need to be shifted. You need an architect and engineer to start with.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

No way for that budget and when asking for this type of advice we need every single measurement clearly marked , every window doorway . This is a very complicated home layout and no matter how many ideas you get here you will need an architect or at least a really good ID

• herbflavor
    last year

how much "guesting" vs new bath for home occupants down adjacent to bedrooms. occasional guest can usually find a hall bath. Not sure I'd put a bath near family room.....you have space from kitchen to area lower .....off hallway. you just need help w decisions and then how to execute. can you partially occupy the home to see what feels appropriate. might be the smartest move before any real actions.

• PRO
    User
    last year

Moving the kitchen alone would swallow all of that budget and then some. I'd suggest keeping it as a rental to pay for you to buy something else.

• bluemarble
    last year

Some ideas...not sure about kitchen layout, since we're not sure what walls have to stay

• everdebz
    last year

A houzz professional knows alot about what is at stake, and how wrong things can go.

I on the other hand, assume you won't lift a single tool, not like those who get radical with compulsive demo! ... and that you're at a stage long before talking in person with an architect.

There's nothing wrong with tossing ideas, and sharing one's own house plan, and how it has good/ bad about it.

• everdebz
    last year

I have heard the advice, "find an architect" so many times.

I liken the threads with enormous, consequential house plan concerns to a person looking online to learn about their medical condition - you can benefit greatly from learning!

Y'all have posted your advice, and disclaimers of sorts -- can ya talk now? ;) and I mean that, please.

• everdebz
    last year

Big house with lots of angles - are there views you want to see in particular? Is fp on exterior wall? is there anything you know of to prevent that kitchen wall being changed?

But tell your thought why to 'pick up the kitchen' and move it? ...

what about the Island everyone wants?!

• Dee L
    Original Author
    last year

There’s no views, not sure why previous owner built on angles

• lharpie
    last year

I was thinking half bath in the bar area too. maybe you could do another tiny shower bath but half bath seems reasonable for the location and is cheaper.

• Dee L
    Original Author
    last year

What’s in a half bath?

• everdebz
    last year

About the angles and the walls/ ceilings - what are they like? is there one room with vaulted ceiling?

• herbflavor
    last year

half bath is sink and toilet. with this being a new bath I'd take the hall way location and get some real storage in there . some of these are bigger.....add some storage then or small/ minimal not much else can be done.....figure out what you want from the bath addition and ultimate best spot.

Graphic Half Bath · More Info

Marin Modern Farmhouse Guest Bath · More Info

Hinsdale Renovation · More Info

MONTLAKE COLONIAL SEATTLE, WASHINGTON · More Info

is there a closet or hallway storage anywhere. with new bath and best location contunue the thought w regard storage ...best spot to add some whether coat closet/ cubby hole storage as part of laundry or a bit of both etc. as you have not lived here some of these deficiencies are not obvious as a result. big reason to take occupancy for a bit.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

A half bath contains a sink and toilet. Great for guests who you don't want in your main bathrooms or quick use by homeowners. If you were to place one where current bar area is , it would allow you to expand your hall bath with the possibility of having a double sink vanity larger shower/tub , storage etc. However this is all speculation since there are no measurements provided on the plan.

Is this home a mid century style?

Would you use the existing fireplace?

Is the foundation a slab or stick built? (this directly relates to ease of moving plumbing)

Have you determined which walls are load bearing?

• coray
    last year

Not sure where the OP lives, but I’m guessing it’s not the US….we don’t have separate WC here, outside the rest of the bathroom. If the OP doesn’t necessarily need the bar area, maybe there’s a way to add drains etc to put a stacked W/D there. This would free up space for a new bathroom in the former laundry spot, plus perhaps stealing some from the “meals area”. If they’re reconfiguring the kitchen anyway, I’d “turn” the kitchen to open it towards the dining room, which essentially leaves it where it is, just changes its direction. Does this make sense? It’ll still cost a good bit and will probably require a beam between kit/dining spaces, but it’ll be easier than moving the entire room. Maybe the OP has children (and regular guests) so she wants an additional full bath near all the bedrooms, not a 1/2 bath near the family room?? (Does BIR stand for B…. In Robe?)