Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yms1975

Where can I find Bigleaf Maple Tree seeds?

yms1975
last year

Hello,

I live in the Niagara, ON Region. I'm trying to find Bigleaf Maple Tree (Acer macrophyllum) seeds. I was under the impression that this was a Canadian native tree, yet I can't find any online sellers who will ship this to me.

I've tried both Etsy & eBay, but none of the sellers will ship to Canada. Can someone please recommend an online seller that will ship to Ontario, Canada?

Comments (16)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

I don't know why etsy of Canada would refuse you shipment.

They even list it in Canadian currency:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1133226925/100-count-bigleaf-maple-tree-seeds-acer

Acer macrophyllum native range:

• yms1975
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@BillMN-z-2-3-4 Yeah, it's so weird. But on checkout it says : This Item Doesn't Ship To Canada.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

There are restrictions - even with seeds - about what plants can be shipped internationally. Canada has particularly stringent regulations. You might need to find a Canadian seller of these seeds,

Just an FYI but this tree has an extremely limited native range. It is very possible that its lack of availability in your location means it is not well suited for your growing environment.

Edited to add: I have literally 1000's of these pelting down in my PNW wooded property as we speak :-) Pretty much a weed here and not a tree well-suited to a suburban garden. They get massive!!

• yms1975
    Original Author
    last year

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) I'm not sure. All I know is that the Bigleaf Maple Tree grows in Hardiness Zones 5-9. I'm in Hardiness Zone 7a (I believe), so it should be able to grow.

Now here's an excerpt from the Government of BC's website : https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/forestry/managing-our-forest-resources/silviculture/tree-species-selection/tree-species-compendium-index/bigleaf-maple

"Bigleaf maple mostly occurs in maritime climates of southwestern B.C., where it grows predominantly on colluvial slopes or alluvial landforms. In most fall seasons the leaves of bigleaf maple turn brown, but during a sunny autumn, the leaves turn yellow - never red."

What caught my attention is the first sentence "...mostly occurs in maritime climates of southwestern B.C." I'm not familiar with BC (or any other province as I was born & raised in Ontario, and never travel). Is it possible that Ontario is too cold to grow these?

Has anybody ever grown this type of tree in Ontario? Maybe it's too cold here. I don't know. I'm so lost. LOL.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

All the hardiness zones rate is winter cold tolerance. They have nothing at all to do with other suitability factors like summer heat and humidity, rainfall totals and patterns, length of growing season, etc. Just because a plant is rated winter hardy for your location does NOT mean it is a suitable choice or will thrive!! Lack of local availability is typically a very telling indicator.

• yms1975
    Original Author
    last year

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) Hmmmmm, I did not know this. TBPH, I had no idea what exactly the Hardiness Zone was. I just knew my zone & that I'm within the Bigleaf Maple tree range. I didn't even think about heat, humidity, etc. I just figured it would grow if it fell within that Hardiness Zone range.

Knowing that I live in the Niagara Region, ON, Hardiness Zone 7a....what type of maple tree do you think would thrive? I'm not interested in the Eastern Red Maple or any other type of Red Maple for that matter. I'm looking for a maple tree that will grow big & thrive in my Region.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

You are in prime sugar maple territory, Acer saccharum. But I certainly would not discount our native red maple, Acer rubrum. An extremely attractive and adaptable tree with a very expansive native range. Both species are relatively equal in size and both can produce excellent fall color. IMO, either would make a much better choice for you than the bigleaf maple.

yms1975 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

If you're interested in smaller, understory type maples, there's Acer pensylvanicum and Acer spicatum are zone hardy for the northern areas.

yms1975 thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • yms1975
    Original Author
    last year

What I'm trying to understand is why I can't find anybody to ship the seeds to my Region (Ontario, Canada). It's weird.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

You could try Sheffield's Seed Company (in New York state), or F W Schumacher (MA) - I believe they both ship internationally and their websites currently show Acer macrophyllum seed available.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

Have you tried talking to any of the plant nurseries in Ontario?

https://beecitycanada.org/native-plant-nurseries/categories/trees-shrubs/

If they don't have any, they might be able to order you some.

yms1975 thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • yms1975
    Original Author
    last year

No, admittedly I haven't. I figured a simple Google search would suffice. How wrong I was. LOL.

And the American retailers won't ship to me unless I buy a minimum of $75 dollars worth. I don't want to buy $75 dollars worth of seeds just because they require me to.

I guess my only hope is to find someone in the States who would be willing to ship to me a "Gift".

As @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9) put it, it's quite telling that I can't buy these seeds online in my area.

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    last year

I would suggest you find a tree or trees of a variety you like and harvest seeds from the trees. Another option is to open a post office box at a post office in New York.

yms1975 thanked John D Zn6a PIT Pa
  • yms1975
    Original Author
    last year

I wonder if this website has a Classifieds section. Maybe I can get someone to mail them to me.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    last year

The Morton Arboretum lists 2 on their grounds that were out-planted in 2009.

yms1975 thanked arbordave (SE MI)