Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

A Colorphobe Christmas

mtnrdredux_gw
last year

My father bought this Boehm porcelain Nativity set for my mother many years ago. I was always struck by the delicate detail, and the appropos simple purity of the white.

My sister has my Mom's, which has irritated me since she has never displayed it and I can't see her doing so. Finally this year I succumbed and bought it for myself. I have 4 mantles but the LR one is massive and nearly as tall as I am; this would be lost. The DR is too narrow, the FR is an uneven stone surface, and I don't want it in the MBR.

For now it is on the bookcase, but it is a little lost there so I am thinking of moving it to a side table. This is all KSWL's fault, because her lovely nativity mantle reminded me.

(pic to follow as GW is being temperamental)

Comments (32)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mtn, those are so lovely … and look wonderful on my bookcase (which you’re leaving with the house).

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Jilly
  • lisaam
    last year

nice, we don’t see bisque texture so often. i have a Rosenthal vase that is not valuable but i used to say that it is what i would grab when running from a fire.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked lisaam
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Lisa, that is so pretty, can see why you like it. Did you post about styling your mantle once? Looks familiar.

• blfenton
    last year

To give it more presence do you have something that you could put it on top of - eg a box covered with straw-like texture or fake snow and/or greenery. Just something to raise it off the flat surface of the table - it only need be at max a couple of inches. If you did that would it work on the FR mantel?

Or do you have anything complementary to add to the scene - porcelain angels, three kings,... to again give presence to the tableau and expand upon the story.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked blfenton
  • lisaam
    last year

maybe you remember a post of lamp that is on this same cherry tv cabinet.

locally harvested jaw and feather. these things dont seem creepy to me but i was given a little nest by a neighbor (from her large collection) and i needed to toss it out—- couldn’t look at it once i took the christmas ornament bird out of it.

• palimpsest
    last year

Mine is all white bisque with camels and an elephant. I don't touch it with bare hands but it hasn't been displayed since about 2017

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Oh, now I want animals! I love the white bisque.

• teeda
    last year

Your nativity is so beautiful, Mtn. I love with the greenery and white lights. I like blfenton's suggestion of elevating it a tiny bit.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked teeda
  • jab65
    last year

That Nativity set is so lovely, simple and with gorgeous detail. I would prefer to see it in a quieter, perhaps smaller setting. To me, the books take over too much and the Nativity gets a little lost. Never the less, something to treasure!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jab65
  • palimpsest
    last year

I don't know if mine (my parents' )will ever be displayed in our house because of the cat.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

That is so pretty! Looks lovely with the greenery and at night will be magical

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Kswl
    last year

I’ve always loved the Boehm nativity, many of the figures are different and more graceful than the standard Italian molds that most companies use. I actually considered getting the Holy Family and trying to add blue to their costumes after the fact, but as we all know I am not talented in that regard and that brand is too expensive to experiment with.

Agree yours would be displayed to better advantage elevated either on a wooden riser or one made of clear plexiglass. Maybe this is something to which your family could add. They’d probably really appreciate the opportunity to give you a new figure or animal each year.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

That Nativity set is so lovely, simple and with gorgeous detail

When i was a kid I was wide-eyed over details like the crease of his fingers and on his palm.

I think the bookcase is just too narrow for this purpose. I like it there because I pass it on the way to the kitchen. I have a small occasional table that might better suit it, though, will have to try.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

OMG gigi, you are so bad.

• gigitn
    last year

🤣😂🤣 Mtn.

It just dawned on me I hope you know what I'm talking about.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

That would be so funny Gigi. I'd be like, ummmm... how do I respond to that nice woman?

• roxanna
    last year

Get a nice big glass cloche with a wooden base to display. This emphasizes the simplicity and sets off the importance of the set....

mtnrdredux_gw thanked roxanna
  • Fun2BHere
    last year

I would place the nativity pieces with some of the greenery on the middle second shelf from the bottom, removing the books there temporarily for the season.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Something about the all white!! I think you should just have a frank conversation with your sister. It's silly for her not to share if you would actually enjoy it!!

• porkandham
    last year

I love a white Nativity!

Weird angle because it was hard to take the picture without catching my reflection in the mirror.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked porkandham
  • Funkyart
    last year

So lovely .. I am taken with Joseph's hand too. So realistic ... veins and joints and all.

As for my all-white decor ... I have finally started my Vietri Foresta Blanca collection. I have started with only one (for now)-- with the intent to add one each year. I am really fighting the urge to buy more. I think a min of 3 is required for a nice looking display ...

This is my first ...

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I think you should just have a frank conversation with your sister. It's silly for her not to share if you would actually enjoy it!!

I thought about this many times, but I assume she wants it or she would not have taken it. So it is what it is. And of course now it would be duplicative.

Funky, those are so pretty.

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Funky, now I want one of yours and one of Mtn's set. The beauty of white. The Boehm set captures Joseph perfectly. I'm sure Mary and Jesus must be the same.

• Kswl
    last year

Pork and Ham, I love your Nativity! Does the angel attach to the stable in some way? It’s a lovely effect.

• porkandham
    last year

@Kswl The angel has a hook in her back and there’s a small nail protruding from the stable. I always worry when I’m attaching her because the stable isn’t terribly stable (Ha!) and it just feels a bit precarious, but so far so good!

• Kswl
    last year

How clever! It’s perfect!

• porkandham
    last year

@Kswl Thanks!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Porkandham, that is so clever. The angel must be an ornament? Is the camel from Boehm? It's so pretty! I don't see it in their sets.

I just bought donkey and angel Boehm figurines. I think (hope) I will stop now, i like it smaller and simple. I will probably move them from the current spot... it is so narrow that they can only go in a line up and I don't like the way that looks.

• Fori
    last year

I just bought my Mom a replacement angel after last Christmas's incident.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fori
  • Fun2BHere
    last year

The narrowness was why I suggested moving them down to the wider shelf which also sort of frames the set.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Oh sorry i didnt reply, Fun. It's a good idea except id have to lean down to see them if they were that low.