Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saskia_dahan

Please vote! Which window paint option do you prefer?

Saskia Dahan
last year
last modified: last year

Hello! My parents are currently in the middle of their bathroom remodel and are trying to decide what to do with the window. They want to paint it all grey to match the cabinets because my older brother has told them to paint it all grey to match the cabinets. I’m doing my utmost to dissuade them. I already lost the battle on the grey cabinets. Regardless of this, please vote for which option you think is the best. Perhaps I’m wrong, who knows. They live in a 150+ year old English cottage. Thanks!

All grey, colour matched to the cabinets.
All white
White exterior, black or very dark brown interior

Comments (27)

• Kendrah
    last year

The interior and exterior parts of the windows should be the same color, not two different colors. All white makes the room look a bit modern and cool, which seems a shame for a 150 year old cottage. I think the all grey looks appropriate for the room, more unique, and it a beautiful scheme. Way to go bro!

Saskia Dahan thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do not agree they can be quite different but IMO the window frames should usually be the same as the rest of the trim in the space and with those tiles for sure white. I am totally confused as to what the heck is going on with the sink and the cabinets and under the tub

IMO if this is your brothers idea for interior design he should not quit his day job.

Sorry I think I was thinking interior and exterior window frames not the way the pics show. I still ,like the all white

Saskia Dahan thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Saskia Dahan
    Original Author
    last year

There’s still some bits that need finishing, like the bath panel going in, cabinet doors and drawers etc. all white is my favourite too!

• jackowskib
    last year

I would look to use same white for ceiling, window trim and any other trim in the room for a cohesive look. Grey is so yesterday but vanity can stand alone. So far, the shower head appears to be the star in the room.

Saskia Dahan thanked jackowskib
  • F L
    last year

If you paint the trim a darker color it then becomes a focal point. You eye will be drawn to it. I would surmise the tub is the focal point, it’s beautiful. So keep trim simple, an off white near the color of the tile in a simi- gloss due to bathroom moisture.

Saskia Dahan thanked F L
  • Saskia Dahan
    Original Author
    last year

Yes the shower is great. I also agree with not wanting to draw away from the tub. I’m passing comments along to my parents because theyre very helpful. Thanks!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

White.

Saskia Dahan thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Not sure you need worry about the color. That looks to be a wood window. It's going to stay wet so much that it will rot out within a few years.

Saskia Dahan thanked Norwood Architects
  • Debbie Downer
    last year

#1 is pretty good, assuming your colors in the pic are halfway accurate - are they? Cabinet and trim ooks more greigey beigey-brown than straight gray.... which IMHO works well with the wood floor.

#2 white - no, unless you can persuade your brother to change the cabs from greige to same white

#3 - another no. To chopped up, black doesnt relate to anything.

Can you get more matching white tile for under the tub? Keep it simple - repeat elements, no more than 3 colors max. A good rule of thumb is 60% your main color, 30% secondary, and 10% accent.

Saskia Dahan thanked Debbie Downer
  • Saskia Dahan
    Original Author
    last year

If anyone is curious, they ended up going with grey and it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would, but it still isn’t my favourite. I think the issue I had with the grey before was because the lighting in the photo they sent me was awful so the grey I colour picked was super dark. Either way, it looks much better than what was there before. It started with 20 year old lino and a pink bath (with no side panel) and toilet from the 80s with a tiny sink!

• Lars
    last year

I like the way it came, and it looks very different from the original photo, in which the gray looked more like tan. I like the cool gray much better.

Thanks for the update.

Saskia Dahan thanked Lars
  • jackowskib
    last year

Well not my favorite but looks complete and I’m sure they’re happy with their choices. That’s what matters.

• elcieg
    last year

Now what? A shower curtain in needed and then something to protect the wood window that has been there, (and the tile) for a long time.

I don't know the age of your parents, but that set up is not going to work for the long haul. There are no grab bars, and, assuming there are no injuries that keep them from getting into the tub, the tub itself will be slippery.

There is a lot more to be done. And, yes, the gray trim doesn't work. Agree.

• Kathi
    last year

It is important they enjoy their space. Although I would suggest that the window frame be black. Also a larger black iron frame mirror to the ceiling which would pull it all together.

• twery
    last year

Let them decide!

• lazidazi
    last year

Paint the window trim white and paint just the window sash the wall color.

This paint scheme will blend well with the whole bath, plus it will add a classy detailing.

• Sarah Wallick
    last year

Paint it gray. Live with it for a while. If you don’t like it, change it. Painting the window is a small job. Not worth the strife it seems to be causing

• Kate
    last year

I’m with you in that I would have preferred the window be white. The tub looks a little treacherous for anyone so some sort of grab bar would be a good idea for everyone. I think it looks very charming overall.

• Mayra Wiessner
    last year

It turned out really nice for an old cottage. Lots of charm. Not sure how you deal with the window getting wet every time you shower though.

• husterd
    last year

Grab bars seem to be nonexistent in Europe and UK. In recent travels had to plan how to enter and exit the tub safely. Also needed to figure out how to use the shower, not fall, and not get the floor wet. My solution was to use the heated towel bar as shown in picture. Add in tubs deeper and sides higher than in US. Short people at a real disadvantage. Next trip asking and hope have shower only bathroom.

• stbred1
    last year

I love how it came out, even though I voted for white

• Iluvdark kychns
    last year

I didn't get to vote but I liked how it turned out. I think people are sick of grey because of these all grey and white color schemes. Sometimes homeowners are so afraid of color or mixing warm and cool tones. But here, the warmth of the wood floors helps offset it nicely. I didn't care for the white next to the tile. It just didn't look right here IMO. Also didn't care for the white/black mix.

• beeboo22
    last year

@SaskiaDahan can you tell me more about that vanity? Is it custom and is the sink vintage? What type of countertop did you use? Thx!

• Kelly Stevens
    last year

Maybe an antique white.

• miwrighttx
    last year

I would try to match the window frame to the grout color. Then I would add the faintest of pink blush to the ceiling and walls. I took a light Benjamin Moore paint and diluted it 1:3 with white. It makes the room always look like a bright sunny morning.

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    last year

Grey and white does not seem a great combo. Either use the same color palette to give a prim and proper look to the area. All grey will actually enhance the space.