Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Is this ocean blue quartzite?

gtdj519
last year

Hi

had new quartzite installed called Manhattan. from brazil, tested and true quartzite from reputable fabricator ive used for many years. upon install there was large discoloration along island perimeters and back of counters in spots. installer said its just water absorption from cuttting and will dry quickly. it never did.. they tried drying it with a hand held blower, poultice for a week; nothing worked. they are happy to replace it. He is stumped as to what happened.

we love the stone color - light blue/ grey/ cream/ white and have yet to find another quartzite like it. The pics look darker than what it really is. we are apprehensive to try the same material again for fear of an issue, but looks wise, the only other stones we like are marble, which is a mixed bag of experience and opinions. i have searched and searched for posts and experience with Manhattan Quartzite and cant find anyhthing. Fabricator said he doesnt know it by any other name. However, I stumbled across a few posts and pics quartzite of what looks identical to my Manhattan quartzite called “ocean blue ” anyone with ocean blue quartize out there that can share their experience? we would be willing to replace it, but not if others have had similar issues or find it to be problematic stone. thanks !

Comments (14)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Here is pic of slab that shows color a little better in first pic , they both still look darker in the pics, but it also shows its entirety to maybe help me identify thenstone and try to read up about or elicit feedback regarding its useage.

• Kimberly Ferris
    last year
    last modified: last year

We installed Daltile's Moreno quartzite and I've seen it called Ocean Blue (among other names). In our kitchen, it "reads" gray, but up close it changes from gray to blue and green, depending on the light.

The countertop has been in for a couple of months, and so far it's been fine. I spent a weekend trying to stain, etch, and scratch a piece of it and it passed all of my tests. We're still in the reno phase, so excuse any mess!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

thank you so much for responidng Kmberly. That sure does look like what I have. im glad you havent had any issues. i wish I could say the same 😞 The lottle cooking I have done stains with oil splashes. that is in addition to the mysterious staining ipon install.

it is a very pretty color, but I am leary to try it again. I am contemplating a honed marble instead, as I am struggling to find a quartzite with the blue/gray coloring like this has.

the stone industry is very frustrating with name changes of stones.

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Your kitchen is turning out very pretty. lovely backsplash

• Kimberly Ferris
    last year

Thank you. I am NOT a decorator and live in a rural area where professionals in that area are far and few between. We definitely have hits and misses here! The tile is GEM Argento.

• Kim T.
    last year

@Kimberly Ferris I also like the backsplash. What did you use for the edge trim on the right? I like the angle used to connect the slightly wider counter to the upper cabinets.

• blueskysunnyday
    last year

This is not too uncommon with quartzite. There is a thread going right now on the topic and someone has discovered a poultice recipe that is working for some people. I don’t know how to link to the thread, but perhaps you can find it by searching.

• Kimberly Ferris
    last year

@Kim T., our contractor did the backsplash and said he likes to use the metal strip. I don't know what it's called. We like the angle too. It's something that's repeated a few times in the kitchen (the end of the perimeter just under that strip, and the angles of the pass-through) and not really planned.

• Kimberly Ferris
    last year
    last modified: last year

@gtdj519, I'm really sorry about your problems with the stone. I found the entire process to be so vexing. I don't know if it made a difference, but our fabricator said the stone is REALLY hard. They told us that they can typically cut several kitchens in a day, and it took two days to cut ours. How one tests for hardness of the stone is something that I don't know (other than seeing if it will cut glass), but there must be a way to find out where it sits on the Mohs scale. I'm also questioning whether it might have something to do with the sealer?

gtdj519 thanked Kimberly Ferris
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Kimberly Ferris. we arent certain what happened. Fabrcator is stumped as well. Your stone sure does look like mine. It has been frustrating, as we had our cabinets refinished in a true white, which went nicely with the quartzite. majority of quartzites seem to have a warm/ ivory undertone, which doesnt work well with the cabinets now. hence, which has led me to consider a honed marble, as there are more true white backrounds with marble slabs. the blue/ grey and whites in this stone looked pretty, but I fear the same problem happening again; especislly since they dont know what caused it. At least if i knew the problem, then we could avoid it, but i feel like we would be rolling the dice. but, your sucess does give me pause to maybe reconsider. very frustratimg for sure .

• HU-905410418
    6 months ago

@kimberly ferris, do you happen to know what tile you used for your backsplash? looks very nice!

• Kimberly Ferris
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Yes! The company is GEM, and the color is Argento. We ordered it through Stone Mountain Flooring Outlet in Jamestown NY. Thank you!

• Debbie K.
    6 months ago

Your slab looks a lot like Platinum Gray quartzite.