Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Random cooking post; jump in.

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

We were out of town for a friend's holiday party, so they invited us for a private tour. They collect antique glass ornaments (among other things) and have four spectacular trees, and garland over all the doorways inside and out, among other things. One of them is in the museum world and their house and collections are truly spectacular. I so wanted to sneak a photo, but there house is moodily dark and trees are hard to capture anyway. I fell in love with an antique flocked goose feather tree, bedecked with delicate ornaments in shades of pale pink, peach, white and silver. Could not decide between that one and a green one covered in german crystal icesicles and mercury orbs. Sigh...

Anyway, i offered to bring dessert but they are still over-desserted from the event so we brought an app. They were tiny caesar salads in parmesan cups, with just a half moon of radish for color. I have never made the parm cups before; the key IMHO is bake them on parchment within an inscribed circle, and quickly flip them onto a shot glass to form. You need to make sure to cut the romaine very small, and I also made tiny little garlicky croutons. I used my fave dressing, https://momsdish.com/recipe/266/creamy-caesar-salad-dressing. They were a big hit. I will make this again for sure. Each is 2 bites.

Comments (45)

• nekotish
    last year

Such a great idea. I am always looking for things that aren't crazy carby or cheesy during the holiday because I find fresh, tangy appies are a welcome change. I have made fricos, but never shaped them into cups. I imagine you would have to work quite quickly. How many did you make in one go?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Only 2 at a time.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

You could forego croutons, and swap radish for craisins. Giada uses those tortilla dippers instead of making bowls

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, those look and sound amazing! Thank you for … making them for me when I visit!

• Funkyart
    last year

You had me at parmesan cups ...

I could see a number of different salads in the cups.. the brussels sprout apple salad would be good too, i think. A chopped salad with kale, romaine, nuts and dried cherries.. really there are so many variations and I just love a meal of appetizers and small bites!

• teeda
    last year

Those look and sound wonderful. I was hunting around for a good appetizer recipe for a neighborhood ladies' gathering held tonight. Those would have been perfect. I ended up doing puff pastry cups with moreno cherry preserves, brie, nuts and chives. When I put the platter on the table I saw someone else brought the same type of pastry cups except with cranberry. But both got devoured. I wish someone had brought what you made!

• Kswl
    last year

They are very, very cute snd sound delicious!

adding, did you see this on Bon Appetit’s youtube channel?

https://youtu.be/5OOysoA71yU

Five quick snacks/ appetizers, they sound good if highly caloric, and not all are all that quick, come to think about it. They are quantum levels below the intricacies of tiny caesar salads, but I thought you might be interested.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • Veronica Giansanti
    last year

I will make these for next family gathering.

I’ve made parmesan crisps before but not molded into cups!

• Bunny
    last year

So darn adorable. I’d be tempted to work in a little anchovy.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Bunny
  • porkandham
    last year

So cute!!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked porkandham
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Look cute and delicious!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Well done!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

Mtn - that is one beautiful Boston Cream Pie!! When we go to Boston, we always stay at the Omni Parker House - birthplace of the Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Rolls.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Those mini-salads in parm cups are great. I could devour those in a hot minute.

My baking has consisted of a cream cheese pound cake with macerated strawberries for a family GTG last weekend and a chocolate pound cake I made for a friend a couple of days ago. The CC pound cake was delicious and my friend reportrd the chocolate one was too. I never think about making photos.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Goodness those parmesan cups looks almost too good to eat. You have the patience of a saint. And the Boston Cream pie is giving me quite a craving.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Yum on the BCP...looks beautiful!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Allison0704
    last year

The parmesan cups look delicious. I've made crisps before, and the mini salads would be fun.

The BCP looks too good to eat. Is it DH's birthday? If so, HBD to him! My DH's is this weekend and he wants his favorite - Italian Cream cake.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • Irish2
    last year

My mom made BCP often. I LOVE it myself and it was my brothers favorite. Yours looks perfect and simply displayed.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Irish2
  • Kswl
    last year

Ignore the Philistines—-that is a very handsome Boston cream pie!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Kswl
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Allison, I had not heard of italian cream cake, looks wonderful. HBD to your sweetie too.

• nicole___
    last year

mtn...Those parm cup are Gorgeous....and I bet delicious! Those hold a WOW factor....for me. Your Boston cream pie on that crystal stand is pretty impressive too. Gurl!!! Make way for the chef!

I make a lot of cheesecakes....amaretto, chocolate, key lime....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

@nicole___ I gave up on making full size cheesecakes bec of the dreaded crack! I only make bite size now, which also have a better crust ratio. Have you "cracked" the cracking problem? I'd tried all sorts of hooey and appeals to the baking gods.

• petalique
    last year

Mtn, very appetizing parm cups. The BCP must have been a hit too.

• nicole___
    last year

mtn....Martha Stewart cracked the cracking....with put tin foil on top or put a pan of water under the cheeecake while it bakes, just to hold the moisture in....or....this is the one I use most often......just decorate the heck out of the top. It's got to look good anyway....so...pile on the mandarin orange slices with a dark chocolate drizzle. Or...use a pastry bag and apply rows of whipped cream. On key lime...I slice a lime thinly, cut the slice in half...twist...put one on each slice....then drizzle the dark chocolate...or dark chocolate curls(take a paring knife and skim pieces off a chocolate bar). One recipe bakes a sour cream topping onto the top in the last 5 minutes. Delicious, fancy when cut....and no cracks.

• localeater
    last year

Those parm cups look great. I am now wondering if they might work for an Open House I need to bring a nibble to on the 30th. How long do you think I could prep in advance?

BCP’s on my treat to make when the sons are both home list. Yours looks great.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked localeater
  • OllieJane
    last year

We ate at an Italian restaurant in Moab, UT this summer and the most delicious Caesar Salad was piled on top of a very thin pizza crust made only of olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese. Not low carb apparently, but It was SO yummy! I'm going to make it for friends soon.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OllieJane
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

oh Ollie i love salad pizza!

Local, I made the cups 2 days in advance -- they keep well and are the fiddliest part. I also made the croutons in advance.

I did not cut the romaine (you really have to chiffonade it, cannot tear it) or dress the salad until 15 min before we left. And of course the dressing lasts a few days.

I think as long as you ate within an hour or two of assembling you'd be fine.

I used Gale Gand's recipe for BCP on FN. The comments suggested the ganache needed 1/2 c instead of 1 c of cream, so I put in 3/4 c. Personally I think the ganache should have been thinner so I'd make it as written next time.

ETA - I used a 2.5" diameter tian mold to draw dark circles with pencil on parchment paper, then I turned the paper over and could see through the other side. I put about 4tsp of parm in the circle and baked it at 325-350 for about 5 minutes iIRC (YMMV!). Let it sit for about 20 seconds, then lift with an offset spatula and center it over an overturned shotglass. Working quickly, gently nest another shotglass on top of the first, to form the cup. Let it cool a minute or so before removing. I tried to take a picture with a ruler to show you how small everything was, but added in a pear because my ruler is hard to see. I don't think you want them any bigger, and if they are smaller I think you'd need to mince the salad!

• DawnInCal
    last year

The parm cups look amazing. It's always a treat to see something new and different at gatherings. People tend to get stuck doing the same old thing because it's in their comfort zone, but it also can get boring over time.

BCP is my favorite dessert and that looks lovely! The first time I had BCP I was a little girl and it was from a box mix. The custard came in a sealed bag and was a powder that had to be mixed with milk, but my eight year old self thought it the most wonderful dessert ever. Imagine, how I felt years later when I had my first from scratch BCP. Over the moon, that's how! :)

I haven't made it in ages, but now I'm thinking with Christmas right around the corner, it might be time for BCP to make an appearance.

• maddielee
    last year

I don’t like when people try to change recipes that look perfect. But But!

I wonder…and because I don’t want to fiddle around too much, If you used garlic toast cups as the crust? Then you wouldn’t need the croutons…add shaved parm to the salad.

These are kinda like the Toast cups I use for my ’famous’ (in my small community of people) BLT bites. It’s white sandwich bread, rolled thin, cut in to rounds, pressed into muffin cups (I use the small muffin cup pan). Broil (watching carefully) for a few minutes to toast.

I’ll try a pan using white bread spread with butter/garlic to test.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Ohhh yum, but i do like the irregular, filigree effect of the parm. i love the blt bite idea tho! totally stealing that

• maddielee
    last year

BLT filling —- Lettuce - chopped small, tomato - chopped small, cooked bacon - chopped small. Mix together with not too much mayo. S and P to taste.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked maddielee
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Maddie! My family will love those, and I think they are a good choice when tomatoes are only passable at best but you have a hankering.

• Feathers11
    last year

Thanks for sharing--those caeser cups look like a perfect, lighter appetizer. Each looks bigger than 2 bites!

That BCP is beautiful, too.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Feathers, they really are pretty small, if you look at the photo above, the cup has a diameter of maybe 1.5"

• nekotish
    last year

I've made BLT bites, but used cherry tomatoes as the "cup." Talk about fiddly - but they sure were good.

• bbstx
    last year

Mtn, you mentioned that they were 2 bites. I see myself taking the first bite and the remainder falling down the front of me and onto the floor. Does that happen? I’d love to make these the next time I’m in charge of appys for cookbook club.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Bbstx,

I was worried about that too. The key is to chiffonade the lettuce quite fine; I actually diced it I guess, in a way, because I cut in both directions. In practice, no one had any issues. I used mostly the crunchy part of the romaine, with a few darker green pieces on top for color.

I really wish I had taken a photo with my hand in the shot for scale; these are truly small. The mold I used to make the circles is 2.5" in diameter. Once you drape it over the shot glass, I 'd say the depth of the cup is about 1/2" all the way around ... that suggests the diameter of the cup you are filling is 1.5". For us, that was 2 bites.

I suppose you could make them even smaller. An inverted mini muffin tin is 1" diameter, I believe. I did not go that route because I liked draping it over one shot glass, then using a second shot glass on top (gently) to form the cup.

I had some leftover reject empty parmesan cups that I used the other night. I was out of the dressing so I tossed it in something I had on hand. I will say this, even tho the parm cups are flavorful, don't neglect tasting and seasoning your salad or it will get lost.

• Kswl
    last year

Houzz has deleted comments from this thread also, pertaining to the forums blackout earlier today.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

KSWL, I am not sure I follow what you are saying.

• Kswl
    last year

Earlier today people were not able to access the forum via bookmarks. The only way to get in was post by post, clicking on one’s own profile, selecting Activity and clicking on a particular thread to which they’d posted. At the ends of most of the threads on the first page were posts by different people relating how they were not able to access the forums in the regular way and speculating about the nature of the lockout and/or complaining about Housz’ management of the site or lack thereof. Most of the most recent posts on all first page threads had similar content and have been removed. I guess there is no announcing or complaining allowed regardless of the circumstances. This situation does, however, make it perfectly clear that Housz is capable of blocking access with no notice for unknown periods of time. I think we should be formulating an exit strategy and look for another more reliable / congenial home. (I am deliberately misspelling the site name, obvs.)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Were/are the missing posts controversial?

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I dont think so Mtn. Earlier today I'd responded on one of the gardening threads. About a minute later, all I could find clicking on any of the topics in my list was the Heading, followed by a blank page. Nothing available to read, no posts at all. It was as if no one had ever posted, no interest in the topic past or present. When I checked some time later (a few hours), all was back to normal. System glitch of some kind was my thought.

• Kswl
    last year

No, I think they were simply removed either because many were complaints, or they weren’t permanent to begin with because they were posted during a time when the platform was unstable.

• maddielee
    last year

Maybe the posts kswl is referring to are the ones on the thread about the get together at Longwood?

That was the only thread I could post on yesterday, during the day long GW glitches. I deleted my post after the elves fixed the site.