Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyjc2000

are the stools too bulky?

daisyjc2000
last year

Hi all! I am back again and could use your advice once more. I just purchase these stools to compliment my kitchen island. However, I’m wondering if they are a bit too bulky for the space. I would really love your eye for design and advice. If you feel they are too bulky, please feel free to offer an alternative suggestion. Thank you all!

Comments (44)

• K Laurence
    last year

Perhaps backless stools would look better? Do you really need stools there ? Btw, beautful kitty !

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you K Laurence! We sit there frequently when eating throughout the day, so stools are a must. Yes, we are quite fond of our little chonk ourselves. She’s well loved and very spoiled ❤️

• marylut
    last year

The stools look light and airy, but are they too wide so that you bump your knees on the corbel supports? If no, then keep them.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Marylut, no they are not too wide :) the height and width do not interfere with leg room.

• wsea
    last year

They are nice stools but do seem out of proportion for the overhang. how much space is between the stool back and cabinetry behind. seems pretty tight.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Wsea-There is no cabinetry behind the stools. Here’s a front pic, to provide a better view of the amount of space behind the chairs.

• wsea
    last year
    last modified: last year

hi @daisyjc2000. i understand there was a opening behind the stools but immediately to the left and right there is. when the stools are out it appears there is no way around plus it blocksoff that opening. but sometimes pictures are distorted so i was wondering how wide the walkway is.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the stools are too wide . Waht was the reson for the scoop outs in the island counter those made adding stools difficult . I would do backless narrower stools for perching .

• houssaon
    last year

It seems that the scallops on the edge of the countertop are complicating situation. How do they feel when you both are sitting there?

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all! I’ve found some other stools. Would you suggest any of these?

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Or this one…

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Wsea-Here you go :)

• la_la Girl
    last year

Such a nice bright and lovely kitchen! I like to introduce a cleaner line in a traditional room and have used these CB2 chairs in lots of kitchens - (they're very comfortable)- for your stool choices the bases seem a little fussy/heavy for me so i would go simpler but its a personal style choice for sure

• wsea
    last year

It looks like 2’ of walkway with the chairs pushed in. i cant imagine you coukd navigate ariund them with someone sitting there.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Wsea-I would say you are correct. I do appreciate your observation. Thank you :)

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

La_la Girl-I do like those stools from CB2, but I fear the gold will be a bit too shiny/orangish for the space. Maybe a similar one with a more brushed or duller tone? However, the dimensions seem great!

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

So maybe either of these?

• PRO
    User
    last year

There isn’t enough overhang really for seating. Or enough aisle space either. Better to have slim saddle stools that can almost tuck under the slim overhang.

• anj_p
    last year

I was going to say the same as @User. Narrow saddle stools. Nothing with a back. The overhang is too short.

• palimpsest
    last year

I think the stools are too big.

Is there other people that need to walk behind the stools when you are sitting there?

People often talk about the clearances as if people's kitchens are a public place and there are other people who are walking around who need to get by.

For everyday use, the clearance may not be that important. If you are having company maybe you don't have stools there at all so people can circulate around,

• shirlpp
    last year

That's it - the overhang. Good observations from above. That's why they don't look right.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Links to alternative seating suggestions would be much appreciated. Unfortunately, I can’t do much about the overhang and there aren’t many options for narrow seating in this color palette. If you can find something similar in a narrower seat you would make my day. I’ve been scouring the internet for hours, but nothing so far. The dimensions of the current seating are:

Counter Stool Overall: 36 1/2"H X 18"W X 21"D
    Counter Stool Seat: 25 1/4"H

Just for reference, the bottom of the corbels are 26 inches from the floor, so the top of the seat cannot be taller than 25.5 inches.

• anj_p
    last year

Google "narrow saddle stool" and you will find what will work. Wayfair lets you sort by dimensions. Here's one of many.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/three-posts-sharman-solid-wood-bar-counter-stool-w005486392.html?piid=1520304770%252C1520304776#seemoreoptions-naip9ej55n

• Kate
    last year

Check Perigold.com, they have a few saddle chairs that could work in your space.

• L H
    last year

Consider round seats rather than square seats as they would make the stools look less bulky. Lovely kitchen!

• marylut
    last year

If you sit for any length of time, don’t you want back support? consider comfort before spending hard earned money on more stools you end up not liking. If the overhang isn’t deep enough - 15” for counter height stool and 13” for taller bar height stools - this island is intended for food prep/plating/buffet serving, not intended for seating. If there is less than 36” to walk past the island edge, it is not intended for seating.

daisyjc2000 thanked marylut
  • Little Bird
    last year

I think either the clear acrylic seats or the one above it, with the simple half moon open base, would work well for your space. I just ordered the clear Adele Counter Stools from Wayfair, and I am very happy with the light airy look. I’ve never ordered furniture online before, so I was worried about the quality. But they are very nice and sturdy and at a super low price.

• olychick
    last year

I really like these that you posted above for your space:

I think it's not just the width that's the problem, but the depth. These look comfy and like they would tuck nicely under the counter when not in use and also won't be too far into the walkway when in use. They complement the dining chairs nicely. Like Pal suggested, perhaps when you are seated at the counter, there are no other family members needing to walk behind you anyway?

• Kay p
    last year

Your kitchen is simply stunning. Perfection in every way. I love your choice in stools.
    Your kitty is adorable too

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

I really appreciate all of your suggestions. Truly. Thank you to everyone for your ideas, time and help! :)

• wynterwynd
    last year

I’m glad someone else mentioned the kitty! Beautiful shaded silver color!

• RedRyder
    last year

We have solid black wood saddle stools that slide under the countertop overhang when not in use. They’re surprisingly comfortable. Those would be my suggestion. I am sure you could find them in a wood that works for your absolutely lovely kitchen.

The high backs of the other stools are visually “too much” to my eyes. Being able to hide the stools under the reduced overhang will open up the space better.

• daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

I ultimately decided on these stools. They are only 17 inches wide (instead of 21 inches) and less deep than the current stools. I think these will compliment the rest of the kitchen nicely :)

• marylut
    last year

Happy you went with a stool with back support

• silktassle
    last year

Oh, please!! lol!!

The stools look great!

daisyjc2000 thanked silktassle
  • happyleg
    last year

Your cat is a diva I love her! Those stool chairs look great in your kitchen

daisyjc2000 thanked happyleg
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Very pretty..so calm and sophisticated! only thing you might want to think about is removing those corbels on the island..if necessary for support..add very small support up under the ledge. Than no knee knocking on those corbels..ouch!

daisyjc2000 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • traditionalbetty
    last year

Chiming in to agree with the suggestion to remove the corbels if possible. Our builder told us we didn’t need them to support our granite because the overhang was shallow enough. It made a big difference in knee room for anyone sitting on a stool. Your stools look lovely in that beautiful kitchen. The cat does steal the show though!! What a beauty!

daisyjc2000 thanked traditionalbetty
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

I do so appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the corbels really do not interfere with the leg room. The inside edge of the corbels just skim the outer edges of the stools. My knees do not hit the corbels at all :) Thank you, again, for your comments and advice. I am so very thankful for this group and all the wonderful advice/comments/suggestions. Thank you!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Not only for comfort but for the overall style too..just not needed.

daisyjc2000 thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • daisyjc2000
    Original Author
    last year

Home Interiors with Ease - I took a peak at your Houzz projects. Your Saddlebrook project is absolutely stunning! You certainly have great taste!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Daisyjc2000 Thank you! It means so much to me to get feed back from all the wonderful people I meet on Houzz! And I really appreciate you took the time to check out my projects!

• Valinta
    last year

I would opt for round, backless stools that swivel. They can be set far enough out from counter overhang that you could put your bum on the seat from the side and swivel to face the counter. I find it annoying to have to pull out a counter stool to sit on it, then try to figure out how to get closer to the counter!