Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_123786432

Help choosing kitchen cabinet colors with different colored countertop

HU-123786432
last year
last modified: last year

We're looking to repaint the walls and cabinets in our kitchen. I'd like to go towards white/brigther colors to make the kitchen look brighter. We will remove the 90s wallpaper and paint the walls white (probably BM Mountain Peak White).

The dilemna I have is that the granite countertop is different for the island than the rest of the kitchen. I am planning to paint the upper and lower cabinets a white/off-white color like BM white dove or maybe a very light gray like BM gray owl. But should I keep this same color for the island with the darker countertop (I believe it's peacock green) or should I paint it a different color (dark gray)?

Any suggestions/tips/advice/color selections are welcome (on either current color selections or island color issue)! Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (14)

• Kendrah
    last year

I'd get a new countertop for the island that is the same as the rest of the counters and paint the island cabinets the same color too.

I'd think twice about painting your cabinets. They look like really nice wood and I don't think the uppers with the arched details are going to look better, in fact I think they will look worse, painted. I'd first ditch the wallpaper and paint, paint the window nook and trim to match the walls, and get a new island top. Then see if you are pleased with the look. If yes great, if not get the cabinets painted.

• kandrewspa
    last year

I agree with Kendrah. Painting the cabinets is not going to change their style. Your kitchen doesn't look very dark - it looks like you have good natural and artificial light. Your perimeter counters and backsplash are already white. If you paint the cabinets white you are running the risk that the whole thing will look cold and antiseptic. Natural wood cabinets have been increasing in popularity recently, so keeping them doesn't mean you're out of step. Maybe the issue is more that you're just tired of it? If you like the layout, look into refacing, although I hear it costs almost as much as new. As Kendrah said, start by just removing the wallpaper.

• herbflavor
    last year

i would strip the paper and paint the walls first. I might sand down the floor and stain something between cabinet color and brown hutch color in next room. [cant tell if the floor is throughout the first floor] I would probably leave the cabinets alone. if you get a new island top even a smaller overhang allowing one or two stools might be nice.....think a "perch" right there.....a good spot.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

You can certainly make the island the same white as your other cabinets but green could also be a nice touch since the countertop is green. Here's the look...

• anna_682
    last year

Your cabinets are very nice. I wouldn't paint them. I would strip the wallpaper, paint, and call it a day.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Several people on this discussion platform will tell you not to paint your cabinets but if that's what you want to do, here's an interesting article for your to read.

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/e-design-an-oak-cabinet-makeover-with-white-dove/

By the way, someone posted this week pictures of their kitchen they had just painter from wood to white cabinets, and they loved it (tried to find the post but couldn't find it).

• HU-123786432
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your tips and advice! Really appreciate this community!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

You give no indication of whether you’ll change your mind on painting cabinets but I’m chiming in with a huge vote for not painting! All that wallpaper being gone will make such a difference! If you really want to change cabinets somehow, think about updating handle hardware

• HU-123786432
    Original Author
    last year

The wallpaper is definitely going. I am probably still going to paint the cabinets, but will wait until after the wall has been painted. I completely agree that the cabinets are high quality and in good shape... but I just don't like the wood look. We bought this place last year and I was hoping the wood would grow on me, but it just hasn't.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

i would def start with the wallpaper but i totally get your thoughts on the cabs. for me, the problem would be the color of the cabs, they are orangey. maybe sand down, restain a nice brown, paint uppers to kinda match the b/s. 2 tone kitchens are so nice! i love stained lowers and painted uppers.

as far as island counter top, do what u want, its not a big piece and you should be able to get a remnant at not a huge cost.

good luck and keep us posted!!

• aziline
    last year

Are you trying to get away from the country look of your kitchen? From the little peak I get of your dining room I'm guessing the rest of your room is more traditional (like 4 square colonial looking?) And for what it's worth what I can see if your dining room is very very nice.

Removing the wall paper will do wonders. I'd also switch out the hardware to further remove the country vibe. Getting stainless steel oven might also help.

While your cabinets aren't currently trending (personally I think that is a VERY good thing) they look like they fit the home and are very nice.

The trendy grays are such a sad color that I'll be glad when it's out of the rotation.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO the cabinets are dated and to pint them will cost as much as new . Yes remove the wallpaper , yes paint the walls . IMO the dated part of the cabinets is the actual function . All base cabinets are best when drawers not doors . IMO function trumps everything else in a kitchen. I see a much more modern cabinet in the space next to this . I think we need to see a bit more of your style to really help here .

• HU-123786432
    Original Author
    last year

I should have an provided a bit more context. The photo is from the previous owner (listing photo). The style in the photo is definitely not my style (including the dining room - we removed the red wallpaper and painted it BM mountain peak white). The previous owners had an older, grander style (like victorian?) which is nice but I want more of a modern style (mid-century modern?). We were planning to do a gut reno on the kitchen but decided to wait at least 5 years due to budget etc. I am really itching to change this kitchen to be more modern and I think I will need to paint the cabinets (given I just don't like the wood look). I would love to swap out the island countertop but it seems like it would be cheaper to keep it and get the island painted?

• arcy_gw
    last year

So that solidifies the no painting of cabinetry. Five years will not recoop the cost! Frist it is not a DIY--they have to be sprayed if they will hold up. Not a cheap fix!!! Save your pennies. Peel the wall paper, paint the wall a creamy color and WAIT it out. Just removing the wall paper will really change the feel and look. Stay away from gray or color cabinetry. Heck they say even white is leaving the scene. White was always a traditional color regionally but not pervasive. It's decreasing in popularity, wood is back! You want MODERN whatever your view of that is. What I know is what it is today and what it will be when you do your gut job are not the same. Here is a great experiment. Make a list of all your 'must haves' or preferences for your new modern kitchen, from decore to functional considerations. Put it in an envelope in a file until you have the money for the remodel. When it comes time open it up and see how many things on that list are still your top priority. Then seeing the DIFFERANCE choose very wisely--look to CLASSIC TIMELESS choices. Not 'modern' fads. Heck since it's all very temporary maybe to scratch your CHANGE itch go ahead and paint the island, get new hardware while you are sprucing up...a few little changes should hold you over!!