Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kishoris

2 foot door for kids bathroom

kishoris
last year

We are doing a remodel and addition. The new kids Jack and Jill bathroom has one entry door that is 24” wide instead of standard 28” of the other door. I did not realize this until it was framed out, but in order to fit the custom vanity we already ordered, I can’t widen the door. Has anyone ever seen a small door like this for a bathroom entry? The only other option is to reframe and make the closets behind the bathroom smaller. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Do whatever it takes to install a 28" door, especially if it means eliminating the jack & jill bathroom and making the entry to the bathroom from the hallway. Can you tell I do not like jack & jill bathrooms?

• millworkman
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would reframe it, that is really too narrow. Remember, just because it is the kid's bathroom does not mean they will be the only one going in there.

• JP Haus
    last year

I strongly agree with Mark and Millworkman. You don't want to live with a 24 inch wide door, which may provide 22 inches or less of actual passage space. We bought a production builder's house as a temporary accommodation while building our current home. I may have permanent scars from the 24 inch bathroom and closet doors in that house. Try carrying a load of laundry, with or without a basket, and see how often you might scrape your arms. Any large adults will likely have to turn sideways to go through those doors. Plumbers will not be pleased, neither will any cleaners.

Your kids won't be small forever. I prefer no smaller than 32" for interior doors and we now have 36" doors, but even the 28" doors in that tract house were an improvement.

• Seabornman
    last year

A 24" door used to be a standard for bathrooms. Then people got bigger.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Reframe to at least 32”.

• shead
    last year

Can you post a plan of the area so helpful suggestions can be made? Maybe there's a work-around none of us can see because we don't know what the adjoining spaces are. How deep is your custom vanity? It's not all that difficult to cut a vanity down in depth at the cabinet shop so maybe that's an option....no one knows without seeing the plan.

• bpath
    last year

Remember that eventually, the vanity, tub, shower pan, etc, will have to fit through the doorway. The door will have to come off the hinges (I suspect it will not swing 180°), and even carrying a laundry basket through in your arms will be tight.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Regardless of the door size, in twenty years Jill will be trying to sleep while listening to Jack (ab)use the bathroom behind the thin door with wide cracks around it.

• kishoris
    Original Author
    last year

We are reframing to push closets and have a 28 inch door. . I don’t know why my architect thought it was fine to design with a 2ft door and we didn’t notice. First time for us dealing with architect plans. We are keeping the Jack and Jill because we live in a ranch and I think the privacy for our 2 boys out ways the negatives. Thank you all for quick replies!

• 3onthetree
    last year

Just to reiterate what I read, there are 2 doors into the shared tub/toilet room, 1 bedroom vanity area has a 28" door into it and the other bedroom vanity area has a 24" door into it.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Verify the 'architect' license with your state.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

" I think the privacy for our 2 boys out ways the negatives."

What privacy?? Jack & jill bathrooms are not private.

• lharpie
    last year

My experience was someone was always walking in on you as it's so much harder to tell if bathroom is in use. definitely way less privacy.

• cat_ky
    last year

I think even a 28 inch door is too narrow. I would want at least 30. I have to agree, about lack of privacy with a jack and jill bathroom.

• cpartist
    last year

We are keeping the Jack and Jill because we live in a ranch and I think the privacy for our 2 boys out ways the negatives.

Are the bedrooms and bath in a private wing or off a private hallway? If so, why wouldn't there be privacy if it's a hall bath? J and J baths are the worst for all the reasons mentioned.

My guess is you won't appreciate being woken at 3 AM because one boy forgot to unlock the door after he used it and the other stormed into his brother's room to unlock it.

• Seabornman
    last year

All the bad PR for j and j baths. My sister and I shared one in our teens. The shower (and maybe toilet) in the middle, sink on the bedroom side. We never had a problem.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

" Jack & Jill bathrooms are perfect for developing sibling relationship that can last a lifetime. One kid can assist the other when they hear them "talking to Ralph on the big white phone". Learn anatomy when they walk through unintentionally unlocked door. Learn finished carpentry in repairing the door jam after having to kick in the door that was accidentally left locked. A jack & jill bathroom helps siblings learn how to resolve conflict, challenge memory, and enhances vocabulary. A catalyst of human development."

• rockybird
    last year

I used a J and J as a guest once. It was stressful because I was always worried that I forgot to lock the other guest's door. It was also noisy and not private. It turned out that the other guest hated it too,. We ended up not using it and both of us used a hall bathroom instead.

• dan1888
    last year

Pocket door may solve the vanity clearance. Post a floorplan.

• Mrs Pete
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like J&Js; they do not have to lead to fights. Yes, they are more private than a hall bathroom, as the user doesn't have to go out into the hallway to reach the bathroom -- the user must coordinate only with the person in the next bedroom, not with the whole household.

Regardless, I would not want the 28" door, much less the 24" door. I would make whatever changes are necessary to include a decent-sized door.

An important detail, which someone above noted: At some point you're going to have to bring in/out materials, as bathrooms will wear out /things will need replacing one day. Even a 28" door is going to be small for getting in /out a tub or vanity.

• Iri
    last year

I have a powder room with a 24" door. I never noticed it was narrow. But maybe that explains the site built cabinet and wall hung sink.

I have never felt my children were deprived of their privacy by having to use a hall bath. I always felt a J&J reduces privacy as one must travel through a bedroom to get to it.