Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtdj519

Anyone ever use this tile finish??

gtdj519
last year

Hi

Trying to choose a backspalsh and in my search, I came across this Akdo tile..It is a ceramic tile, and it is called “Luster finish” ; which is like a pearl/ pearlescent finish It is not actual mother of pearl like many other tiles. Ive never seen this finish before, and before I seriously consider it on my list of possibilities, , I was wondering if anyone has used it in a kitchen and how it has worked out. It is tough to photograph the true finish ; I tried my best Thank you so much!!

Comments (8)

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks chispa. I have seen the montauk gin tiles, and yes, you sre correct that they are similar. However, the montaik gin samples I saw seemed ro have a mix of a slight pearl and matte finisb These Adko tiles are smoother and all the same finish. But perhaps they perform the same way since they are somewhat similar ( durability, cleaning etc)

thanks for the info snd insight!!

• kathleen MK
    last year

As a potter I can tell you true lusters are very low fired on top of glazes that could be high fired like porcelain. So they are easily etched away by harsh cleaners and scrubbing. They are beautiful but need gentle care for the same reason your fine china doesn't go in the dish washer if it has metallic trim which also is an overglaze firing at lower temperatures.

gtdj519 thanked kathleen MK
  • Iluvdark kychns
    last year

I have seen similar tiles before and I think they are quite lovely as backsplash. That top bluish one is really pretty. ,Kathleen, what kind of cleaners can etch away the luster, I have some manmade porclain tiles around my fp with way too much shine and gloss and would like to tone it down some and I do have extras to test on. Thanks

gtdj519 thanked Iluvdark kychns
  • gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your professional advice kathleen!! That is graat info to know about . I was told these are ceramic tile, not porcelain, but with this knowledge you shared about luster finishes, I would be mindful of cleansers if I choose them. I would only use soap and water to clean. thank you for sharing about it!!! good to know!!

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks luvdark kychns. They are prettyz iI am deciding between a few tiles ; these being one of the optionns, the other are glossy finish. I am torn in general between using white or blue .

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do not like textured tile in kitchen where spaghetti sauce can find its way to many places. I also agree you need too be awre of reflecction but I often use glass tiles for a bit of bling. I think those would be better in a bathroom but I do like the colors with the counter . I need to know more about your other choices in the kitchen to comment on other choices.Have you checked out back painted glass ,

• gtdj519
    Original Author
    last year

I have looked at glass tiles and have a few samples. They are nice, however, I do feel glass is just as reflective as , if not even more reflective than a luster finish or a glossy finish ceramic tile. you can literally see your reflection in glass tiles; almost like a mirror. I actually think the opposite of you Patricia, I tend to think of glass tile more for a bathroom than for a kitchen. Just my personal association of them, as I know many people use them in kitchens as well; and they look lovely. I have glads tiles in 2 of my bathrooms; one with subway glass, the other mosaic glass.