Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellejac

What color would you paint this house?

Kj Albany
last year

We are preparing our home for sale and are trying to figure out paint colors. The windows are black and not paintable. I was thinking about keeping the window trim and gutters white and painting the stucco a light blue, but I am not sure. I would welcome any advice!

Also looking for a way to de-emphasize the double garage door as it is kind of an eyesore in our neighborhood of 1920’s bungalows with cute detached garages.

Comments (16)

• Odell Home
    last year
    last modified: last year

You could try the magnetic decora garage door handles and hinges to make the garage door have some personality. There are many available on Amazon for ridiculuously low prices.

As for the house paint, since you are selling it, i would keep it very neutral and not too standoutish from rest of your community. As a buyer, blue may not have been my personal favorite.

A light beige with black or dark brown window trim to complimemt your already nlack windows perhaps?

Kj Albany thanked Odell Home
  • ffpalms
    last year
    last modified: last year

I like these soft colors. SW Original White on the body, City Loft on the trim and garage door, and Earl Gray on the front door.

But since your roof is a cool gray , I would go for cooler colors for trim and front door.

Kj Albany thanked ffpalms
  • Kj Albany
    Original Author
    last year

I love this palette. Does it matter that the only other largish and newer house on the block is right next door and has a soft white body?

• ffpalms
    last year

Since it’s right next door, I might do the body in the pale gray and the trim in off white. I’m not sure about doing the garage in the white, though, so would probably paint it the same as the body. Can you get a photo showing the front of both houses?

Kj Albany thanked ffpalms
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

Off-white would work good with white and black to make both pop up.

• Kj Albany
    Original Author
    last year

I will try to get a photo of both houses tomorrow morning. You can see a small part of the house on the left side of the first photo.

• Kj Albany
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a photo of our house next to our neighbor's house on the left.  If it weren't for their house I would choose white for the body.  Is gray our only option?  Can blue ever be neutral, like Woodlawn?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I would just get a new, better looking garage door rather than painting the house. Even if you paint the house, the garage door will still be the most prominent feature by a big margin. Might be a good idea to run your ideas by your agent before spending much money- it might sell well without having to do anything. Good luck!!

• K Laurence
    last year

Do you absolutely have to paint your house for sale? Is it in that bad of a shape ? Powerwashing an option? BTW, blue would be a turnoff for me. I love blues but not on the exteriors of homes, somehow it cheapens the look for me, i don’t know why.

• Hellogardener
    last year

I love that Woodlawn combo!

• elcieg
    last year

Is the body of the house stucco? I wouldn't paint it. If buyer wants to, then fine. IMO opinion stucco is a gift...no upkeep. As a buyer, I probably would pass on your house.

• Kj Albany
    Original Author
    last year

@elcoeg yes, it is stucco that has been painted gray.  I am not a fan of our home's exterior overall, but it was in a prime location for good schools and an easy commute to San Francisco, so it worked well for us and I am sure it will be attractive to at least one buyer.

I am intrigued by the idea of forgoing paint in favor of a nicer garage door.  The trim does need to be painted due to some repairs, but the stucco is in decent shape.

• Kj Albany
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Just following up on my post.  We ended up Sherwin Williams Aesthetic White for the body and the trim is Sherwin Williams Iron Ore.  The front door is Benjamin Moore Courtyard Green.  We got 22 offers on the house, so we think the paint colors were palatable at the very least!

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

The paint job is truly lovely! The trim appears to match the roof and makes the house feel crisp and fresh, and the green door complements your plantings very nicely. Thanks so much for this update.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 months ago

So pretty!! Congratulations on the sale!!🎉🎊🍾