Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_217064230

kitchen design help not able to center hood

Susan Home
last year

We are finalizing our kitchen design and I am stressed. Ideally we would like to keep the sink in the main countertop. But in this case the hood is not centered and I am not sure if that looks good. Or is it better to move sink to island and center the hood. we are not doing upper cabinets. Really really appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (19)

• rebunky
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yikes!

Putting the DW between the sink and cooktop is a very bad idea. It opens right in the middle of your prep space counter that is between the main sink and stove, as well as if you are prepping on the island.

Can we see the overhead layout showing the dimensions of the room?

Also an overhead showing the floor plan? It is nice to see the rooms surrounding the kitchen, like the dining room and the entry location where the groceries are brought in from.

Can the island be extended so it is in line with the upper perimeter run of cabinets?

Could the cooktop be centered on the left wall and fridge move to the top?

There are several ways you could do the layout that would function way better then this plan.

I do like your spice drawer though. I have that setup and it is great!

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!! We decided to move cooktop to island. That solves my concerns i think.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

NOOOO! No cooktops in islands. I know you're stressed and you just want to be done with this, but you really need to post a clear image of your layout showing the spaces around this. This looks like a very expensive project. We can help you optimize your investment.

• course411
    last year

Are your double ovens in the lower left hand edge of the plan drawing? If yes, that is a HARD no. You have no landing space nearby and you have to cross a traffic path to reach counter space. Plus, is it next to an area where you hope to put a table and chairs? Yikes! All of that is an accident waiting to happen.

• M Miller
    last year

You seem to be doing somersaults just so as to have the hood "centered". I think you mean centered on that wall, correct? The fact is that centering a hood like that does not matter. Depending where you stand in the room, the hood will look centered, then move a few steps to the right or left, and it will not look centered. People focus on centering because they are looking at a 2-dimensional drawing on paper or on a screen, and have not worked with layout drawings before. They do not understand the translation from the 2-dimension drawing the into the real life physicality.

Moving your cooktop to the island is a bad idea for a few reasons. One reason is how to exhaust an island cooktop. Downdrafts are the worst, a waste of money. So that would mean installing ductwork above, with an overhead island hood that would have to be sized up because an island cooktop has no walls or upper cabinets nearby to help corral the smoke and grease. Much more expensive and difficult than installing a hood exhaust along the wall. Another reason is that the island has to be large enough for the cooktop and for landing area around the cooktop. Another reason is that if you are thinking of having seating at the island, the island will have to be even bigger so that people aren't seated so close to the cooktop that they are hit with smoke and splatters from cooking.

Don't turn yourself into a pretzel just to get the hood "centered".

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

I like your advice M Miller. We are able to widen the kitchen by 18” to the left of the hood. that way it will be more centered. so we can keep stove where it is.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

still much room for improvement here. why doesnt the island end align with perimeter counter end?

The common kitchen workflow is fridge-sink-cooktop.

Ovens should be near exhaust hood.

• Iri
    last year

Nothing else is centered. No need to center the hood. And what makes something the center, anyway?

• gardengrl66 z5
    last year

I think, perhaps, taking a deeeeep breath and going back to the 30K foot view. You are getting a lot of specific feedback, all of which is good...but really what is your "why" in this kitchen? Who are you, and your family? How do you use the kitchen and what is going on in the rest of your house? The best kitchens are products of some self-reflection. Take a few minutes and read up on some of the excellent threads on the forum:

New to Kitchens thread

(I sure hope this link works)

• rebunky
    last year

Course411 mentioned the landing for the ovens issue. If someone is seated on the end of the island across from the prep sink, you cannot land hot food in on the island because the person and the prep sink are in the way. You have to go all the way over to the perimeter. That is too far and not very safe if that is a walkway behind the island.

Is that is a doorway between the oven cabinet and the large fridge?

If so, it looks like if people are seated the island, it would block the traffic path behind the stools. of course, we have know way of knowing without seeing what is planned for the rooms around the kitchen.

If you would like help improving the layout, please see the link above by gardengrl. It explains what to post. We would all love to help you to get a more functional kitchen!

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

This is my floor plan and I am open to suggestions. We are still very much liking to put cooktop on island. we are considering widening kitchen by taking 18 inches from the den, though the butler pantry may have to be sacrificed.

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

This

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

Really appreciate uour help here

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

Can you post the as-built drawing? It helps us understand your house when we can see the starting point.

• Susan Home
    Original Author
    last year

this is the plan

• rebunky
    last year

Thanks for sharing the floor plan Susan.

So the first thing I notice is that bringing groceries in from the garage to the kitchen is quite the hike. You go through the mudroom, down a hallway, turn left and go down ore hallway passed the dining room, turn left into the BP or go passed that door and then turn left to go towards the kitchen. Phew! I am tired just writing all that. Lol!

I wish there was an easier straighter route to the kitchen, but would that even be a possibility?

• gardengrl66 z5
    last year

I mean, if you were willing to really re-think things, you could put the kitchen where the dining room is now...then it is straight in from the entrance. But you lose one outside wall that way, and not sure how the property faces or what the lighting is. Or if you've already built the foundation with the current design in mind. (See what happens on here is you get waaaay more feedback than you bargained for! But that is good!)

• lharpie
    last year

I would move dw to right of sink and put cooktop a bit further to the left. think about in current plan how someone can cook and another can cleanup. the dw is in best prep space (between sink and stove) and opens to the island prep space to trip anyone working there! agree with moving ovens near fridge. current location seems dangerous and very inconvenient assuming you use them with any frequency.. i’ve never noticed whether anyone’s cooktop is centered - this seems like an odd reason to make a nonfunctional kitchen.

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

If you dont have an as built drawing you could just sketch out your house as it is so we can see what you have. Do you have to walk thru the dining room to get to the kitchen from the garage or are you closing off doorways in the den maybe?