Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbspeck

Chandelier location

jbspeck
last year
last modified: last year

I am renovating a 1914 house and have created an open-look plan. My kitchen is basically complete with 3 lights hanging over my island. When you walk into my house you see my piano room and through to the kitchen and den beyond that. My delimma is the old chandelier (which I plan to replace) in the piano room, although placed in the center of that room, does not line up with the 3 lights over the kitchen island. What should I do, relocate the new chandelier so that it ligns up or replace the new chandelier in the same location as the old chandelier? Please help! Picture below.

Comments (42)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

add photos in the comment section, or edit your original post.

jbspeck thanked Lyn Nielson
  • jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@Lyn Nielson I tried both suggestions and still my photo does not appear.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

if you are using a desk top. put the image on the desk top and move it into your post with the photo icon I have never been able to do it from my phone.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@Lyn Nielson Finally got it. It was an Apple format issue! Thanks for your help.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I'd skip the chandelier and instead put in either a flushmount fixture or a semii-flushmount. I'd check out Hubbardton Forge for lights that would work well in your home.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors - Whether I install a flushmount or chandelier, my question remains - do I align it with my 3 kitchen pendants over the island or keep the new fixture in the same location?

• kandrewspa
    last year

Once it's not hanging down as much it will be OK that it doesn't line up with the pendants in the kitchen. It would look strange in that room if it weren't centered IMO.

• Marie J.
    last year

I’m not a pro but I wouldn’t worry about lining it up with the kitchen pendants.

• JP L
    last year

No help in placement, but is that fixture original to the house? If you're set on replacing it, please consider donating it to a local architectural salvage place - someone somewhere would love to have it!

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@JP L - Good suggestion. The house was built by my grandfather in 1914 then my parents did some remodeling in the 70s. I think they bought it at that time. It's still old and in perfect condition. You're right, someone would love it!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I would put a period style flush mount, it seems like a pass through area, and not a dining room.

• Janis Speck
    last year

It’s not a dining room, although it was at one time. It’s now the piano room and is a pass-through from living room to kitchen.

• ptreckel
    last year

Don’t worry about it lining up. YOU notice it because you are intentionally looking at it. Most people won’t see it and those who do notice it won’t think it is an “issue.” I would look for a period light fixture at a vintage lighting store. Check Rejuvenation Lighting (rejuvenation.com) for a Vintage, period appropriate chandelier or semi flush fixture. It will “go” with your kitchen lights. It won’t match. But it doesn’t need to!

• User
    last year

It doesn’t need to line up. It IS perfect for the home though. Why do you feel it needs to change? Because it doesn’t!

• marybea
    last year

I would skip the light and recess some lights instead.

• arcy_gw
    last year

I would move it so it has more purpose. Over the piano a different fixture could be lovely.

• Loretta Cook
    last year

Recessed lights in line with the kitchen lighting and move the hanging fixture over the piano.

• Maureen
    last year

Does not have to be lined up, but if bothering you, a flush mount (or semi flush) would be less noticeable. Moving the light means it would’t be centered in the room, which is more important.

• arcy_gw
    last year

IDK pot lights have been suggested which is an expense, but even so the room isn't used in a way that a center fixture makes sense...the next owners that wants a formal dining area may balk but that's then this is now. If it were a dinning room you would want that fixture lower centered over the table and that may not be in the center of the room. I do agree it bothers the OP so it needs to be changed.

• jackowskib
    last year

If it’s a piano room why not pull the piano out of the corner more towards the light? Agree light location is fine just needs updating to semi flush style.

• palimpsest
    last year

It doesn't need to be aligned and it doesn't need to be replaced, necessarily. What you probably need is some kind of portable reading light for the piano. (Floor or on the piano itself)

There's nothing the matter with keeping vintage fixtures in a vintage house. Not everything needs to look like it was remodeled last week, and recessed lighting is not the best look in living areas of old houses.

• Nidnay
    last year

I would replace the fixture and move the new one to hang over the piano.

• lazidazi
    last year

The chandelier does not have to line up with kitchen lights.

Pianos are not supposed to be placed against an outside wall because it affects the structural and mechanical condition, also the sound. They also shouldn't be placed where they get direct sunlight because of the heat.

Have you considered moving the piano to the center of the room under the chandelier? That would better serve the piano, and give creedance to the chandelier being properly placed [right where it is now].

You've called it "my piano room". I am suggesting that the piano have a *featured* placement, rather than being shoved into a corner [and the wrong corner at that].

• bonnie21014
    last year

Change light to one with a chain and add a hook over the piano and swag the light over this way if you change the room later just remove hook

jbspeck thanked bonnie21014
  • Dennis Peterson
    last year

I agree with a period-appropriate flush-mount fixture in existing position is desirable. Also, agree that the piano is too far into the corner and needs to be pulled out but not in the middle of the room since it would be an obstruction. When I look at your photo, I don’t notice the light fixture as much as the position of the piano; it just looks squeezed. A baby grand piano is very scultural and needs to be treated as such.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

We can't see what's on the other side of the room so difficult to make great suggestions but here are a few...

• HU-450883963
    last year

The piano 🎹 is wonderful. Have you considered just having it in the room as the star, and removing the small buffet piece. I am really editing my place, taking away rather than "adding" too - cleaner, more interest less clutter.

• Anne MacDonald
    last year

I also feel they don’t have to align. If you select something that is long and place it horizontally parellel to the doorway it would not look as unaligned (is that a word?) with the others in the kitchen.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@lisedv

My piano is positioned in a similar location as your third photo (although I'm lacking the cello for balance). A bank of windows which I plan to curtain is to the left of piano. Against the wall on far right is a narrow antique desk and chair. The piano is the focal point in the room.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

I would like to thank everyone for the comments and perspective. As my house renovation is still a work in progress, there are many more changes and purchases to be made. I have decided that I should replace the current chandelier with a flush-mount light such as many of you suggested and to not worry about lining up with kitchen pendants.

• Allyson Wilson
    last year

I would do a flushmount. personally too many things hanging from the ceiling in the same line of sight is busy.

• Dorothy Meyers
    last year

I would leave the light alone and turn the piano so the bench was in the corner, bringing the piano itself into the room. Then the light would be aligned with the piano.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

As mentioned above, I think I would also turn the piano around, I don't see the entire room but it looks like it just stuck in the corner.

• spriggspup
    last year

I don't think the chandelier or its placement is an issue. I'd be hesitant to remove such a beautiful original feature (a real jewel) from a family heritage home. (Sometimes renovation can snowball to later regret.) I'm curious about the wholistic approach to room use and furniture placement. Was the piano room originally the diningroom? Is that the livingroom with sofa beyond the kitchen? Is that a diningroom chair left of the sofa, beyond the refrigerator? If so, is this living-dining room larger than the piano room? Why wasn't the piano placed in the livingroom where others could sit and enjoy the music filling this larger space while using the currently designated piano room for dining? I understand entry is currently at the piano room, however visitors still have to walk through the kitchen to get to the living-dining room, so why not enter at the diningroom anyway? Can the entry be relocated to the rear living-dining room if coming into a diningroom is an issue? How was the house entry originally placed relative to either room? I don't think focusing on chandelier placement is the real issue here.

• ptreckel
    last year

I am not so sure that the current chandelier is vintage, except in a faux colonial 1960-ish way. But if the OP thinks that it should remain with the home, boxing it up and placing it in the attic for the next owner might be the way to go. In the late 19th and early 20th century the dining room was often the largest home in the house, larger than the parlor. That is where the bulk of entertaining took place—around the dining room table. So it wouldn’t be a surprise to find a dining room better suited to modern day living than what was once the living room. Besides…it will be close to the kitchen. And the renovation of this kitchen looks lovely. On the other hand, knowing how other rooms in the home are configured (and their size) might help with how the rooms should be furnished and lit.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@spriggspup The front door enters at the living room and transitions to the piano room which did use to be the dining room. From the piano room, you enter into the kitchen and beyond that, overlooking the woods with Anderson windows filling the left and back wall areas, is the dining room/den with fireplace to far right.

• jbspeck
    Original Author
    last year

@ptreckel As previously explained, the current chandelier was installed in the early 70s by my parents when that room became the dining room. When my grandparents built this house in 1914, the kitchen was located in the rear of the house and the dining room was where my den is now located with the bank of windows. My grandparents operated a boarding house (nowdays known as a "Bed & Breakfast") and the dining table was large enought to accommodate 18 - 20 boarders at that time, thus the "Boarding House Reach" was a reality.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I do not think that is an OG chandelier, its not even period correct, but either way IM still partial to a semi flush.

• Janis Speck
    last year

As explained previously, that chandelier was purchased new and installed by my parents in the early 70s for their farmhouse style at that time. I personally believe that it was period correct for that time and style. I have also previously stated that I have decided to install a flush-style as many have suggested.

• jacquieps
    last year

I Would buy other light fixtures such as pendant lights… that will complement the one you have and extend the focal point… sometimes the eye does not rest and things look out of place until the light fixture in this case is “right”, centered or not… but the eye needs to find rest… make it bigger, Grandiose , unexpected, you have the big opportunity to make the ceiling as interesting as the floor! Make a geometric design with wood or paint to contain the area!, wall paper the ceiling ! Wonderful opportunity, the more outside the box you think the more home will be for you! Custom make your dream!