Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_dreyer

Powder room mirror & wall color help

Kris
last year
last modified: last year

Hi! I'm remodeling a small, main-level powder room. I'd love a coastal or spa type of feel. (Blue is my favorite color, but neutral colors would work, too.)

I'd love ideas for a mirror and paint color. I'm definitely getting a small white vanity (like the picture), brushed nickel fixtures, and Daltile's Haute Monde Elite Grey floor tile (also pictured). I also have a dark brown wood Pottery Barn linen tower (similar to the one in the picture) that's in a recessed area diagonally opposite from the sink.

I'm thinking about:

(1) This wood mirror (from Delacora/Uttermost) to tie in the grays, silvers, and browns - but I'm not sure if it will look right with the white vanity or if it would clash with the linen tower.

(2) OR a brushed/satin nickel mirror

(3) A brushed nickel 3-light sconce like Kichler's Keiran

(4) A light blue or neutral wall color

Would these look good together? Or is there something else I should consider? (I copied and pasted the images below using Canva.) Thank you!

Comments (15)

• jo mu
    last year

Can you share pictures of what space looks like currently

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO PRs are a space where you can have a bit of fun , they require very little storage so I need to see your space. I aslo would want to know what the reason is for the tall cabinet you certainly do not need a linen tower in a PR. I am not really getting a feel for your style. That mirror IMO and the lighting do not work and for sure the lighting is a builders type for sure. Take some pics of the space post here in a comment do not start another post .IMO the choices you post do not work together especailly the gray floor which really says modern and all the rest more country/ cheap.

Kris thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • kandrewspa
    last year

Blue and white is a classic coastal color scheme. The mirror looks like a possibility, but it's hard to see the details in the picture. Because a powder room is a small room I think you would be better off sticking with only one color for both the vanity and linen tower. Since you're going for a coastal look, white is the best choice. If I understand you correctly, your room has a little alcove and you were going to put the linen tower there to fill in the space, so that is not necessarily a bad idea. The vanity and light fixture you chose do look builder basic as Patricia mentioned. Look for a vanity that is more furniture-like. You don't need a lot of storage since you'll have a linen tower, so even a pedestal sink would work in your case. Up your budget for a light fixture and find something special - there aren't that many elements in a powder room, so make it count, and make sure it fits your theme and goes with the mirror. Stay away from bare bulbs and clear glass as they cause glare. You don't need a lot of strong light in a powder room.

I love a gray floor because it's so practical, but I don't think it's the best choice for your theme. Something lighter would be more appropriate - think of sand. Just don't use builder beige from the last decade. Or you'll see in the pictures I'm posting they used a patterned floor. As for the wall color, I love the idea of blue - that's what I used when I had my powder room painted about two years ago and I love it. I used BM Bright & Early cut 50%. You might like it full strength, or SW Sea Salt is a blue-green that is popular in bathrooms. There are hundreds of shades of blue so just try one that appeals to you.

Seaside Bungalow · More Info

Westhampton Beach · More Info

Kris thanked kandrewspa
  • Kris
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all! Here are pictures of the room right now. We're replacing everything except the linen tower (which isn't as tall as I probably led you to believe. It's probably too small for the space, but we need a place for storage). We're taking out the soffitt and recessed lights, but I could probably add other recessed lights if the vanity sconce isn't enough. Our contractor's already bought the vanity and tile. I might be able to get something different, but I'm not sure. (The remodel starts in 2 weeks.) The current vanity is 30"Lx 21XW.

And this is the mirror I've been considering:

Delacora Coastal Rustic Farmhouse 37" x 27" Vanity Bathroom Wall Mirror (it's also sold under the Uttermost label for some reason). Strips of weathered pine create an aged wood frame. The mirror features a 1" beveled edge. Suitable for any coastal, farmhouse, or rustic designed space.

• elcieg
    last year

Paint the walls, the ceiling the white of the vanity sink, in an eggshell finish. Paint the vanity dark blue/black.

Mirror round, no square corners.. Put sconces on the wall...lighting is more flattering that down lights.

Don't include the wood cabinet in the space. Not necessary for a powder room. Consider instead some art on that wall.

Add brass tone in the frame...greatbigcanvas

Kris thanked elcieg
  • Kris
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, elcieg! I'd use a lighter blue and silver/nickel - I just prefer it over gold. And I need the storage space of the tower, so it has to stay. :) But I love the idea of putting a painting on that wall.

• jo mu
    last year

You def need both recessed lighting and wall lighting especially if your style is coastal which is light and bright.  On that note do you have any other bathroom styles you like? Because there are no windows here which really goes against coastal design (hard to execute without windows) Coastal design is inspired by beach homes in warm places that tend to have tons of bright natural light pouring in. Another thing I almost think keeping your old vanity and repainting it would lead to a better look sorry if I offend you but the  vanity you included looks like a bare minimum standard cheap rental bathroom vanity that's in stock at the hardware store.  Your current one has symmetry at least and you can change out the top.  I agree with another commenter that the items you picked don't seem like a cohesive look. I don't know your time frame for this but I'd take a step back and think all the choices through from the knobs and pull colors to the trim colors. Bathrooms are one of the hardest areas to design there's a lot of things in a small space and you have to think about all of it together. I made this mistake on a bathroom and to this day I'm still trying to make it work 🙃

• jo mu
    last year

Sorry that was suppose to be spaced out! My houzz app is being glitchy

• Kris
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, jo mu! I don't need it to be magazine-perfect. I just want a bathroom that looks pretty and relaxing. I'm pretty sure everything we have is from the 1980s, so anything will be an upgrade! I probably just need to settle on one inspiration picture and go from there...

• jo mu
    last year

• jo mu
    last year

• Kris
    Original Author
    last year

jo mu - I hadn't thought about board and batten. That looks really pretty. And I love the neutral palette. That might be a better direction than blue. Thank you so much!

• jo mu
    last year

Yeah I think board and batten is a relatively inexpensive detail that can have a big impact glad to help! Would love to see an update when it's all done =)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!