Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_618897318

under mount sink suggestions (prefer SS 70/30)

Chris H
last year

I’m casually looking at sinks right now. What sinks (or brands) would be best for granite under mount? Ideally a 70/30 SS. I’m not sure how big yet because we’re moving ours from the current location, but I estimate a 30-36” cabinet for the sink if that helps!

Comments (73)

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    last year

Just as a reference ... this is a 17 " by 20 " (at bottom) bowl and various full size

Sink size · More Info

cookware. Standard frying pan, non-commercial cookie sheet, turkey roaster and lobster pot.

• Joy M
    last year

We had a single bowl and my husband the cook hated it. New build has a split, can’t remember if it’s 60/40 or 70/30, and it’s more functional for us. Did you know you can choose which side the larger bowl is? I also recommend a sink that comes with a grate. We scratched our ss sink, before we had a chance to put the grate in.

• T Jarmuth
    last year

Here’s something else I learned from all these good folks on Houzz… an apron sink sets closer to the front edge of the counter. This makes it a shorter reach to the middle of the sink, is easier on your back especially if you are a short person, and gives you a safer angle when cutting (workstation-style sink) on the cutting board. I have this Create Good Sinks sink. It will be installed in mid-April.

• Lynn Lou
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Which strap do you suggest for a sink with rear right drain? It is the Kraus Kore WS sink going in 3cm cambria.

• Beatrix
    last year

@mainenell - "Have you looked at a double bowl that is 42” wide in a 60/40 split? In my mind this would be the best of both worlds."

Just chiming in here - I would love to find this! I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything that big, but that size would be perfect for my 46" cabinets. I agree, it would be the best of both worlds especially if you don't need to try to save counter space. (I don't..)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Lynn:

Either will work for that sink.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC would the cabinet requirements be the same if strapped vs clipped? For example, this sink says 30” minimum cabinet. Does that still apply with strapping or does ot change it? This is the only one without a zero radius corners I can find. Still looking though! Thanks!

https://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/product/95B932-27S-SS.html

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"You may ignore the sink manufacturers sink base cabinet size reuirements if you strap, not clip or block, your sink in place. A 33" sink undermounts into a 33" cabinet, a 36" into a 36", etc."

• mainenell
    last year

@beatrix There are a few listed on Home Depot. Your material may be limited to stainless or copper, though.

• Slick Estimates
    last year

true

• Chris H
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Joseph Corlett, LLC not sure if you can help with the faucet but if we went with a 27” work station sink (the one I linked above) would any of these bar prep faucets work? I like the swan neck look but not the height of the regular ones. My preference is the first one and it seems to have the biggest ”reach”. Would like it to have a pull down sprayer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

They'll work.

• ci_lantro
    last year

Chris, I got the Moen Adler faucet because it isn't huge and has a very sleek, easy to clean design. The spot resist stainless finish is wonderful too. 14.56" tall.

Chris H thanked ci_lantro
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    last year

@ci_lantro this is perfect! Thank you for sharing :) I couldnt find anything this height, they all seemed to be 16+”

• Chris H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hi all. I’m back and wondering what your opinions are on these two sinks? Im a little concerned about drainage, it seems hit or miss in reviews. Am I right in thinking the offset drain will help? These do not have zero radius corners (its kind of hard to find non zero radius in our price range for a work station sink). Which of the two is the better option?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Crosstown-Stainless-Steel-25-1-2-in-Single-Bowl-Undermount-Kitchen-Sink-Kit-with-Workstation-EFRU24169RTWC/314299678

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Lorelai-16-Gauge-Stainless-Steel-27-in-Single-Bowl-Undermount-Workstation-Kitchen-Sink-with-Accessories-95B932-27S-SS/317775828?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AR57-fBbiG7e46TyrBrly_TsHM2i0iOor-pQ1muJI7A9yl66SepFh3KZF74

• Chris H
    Original Author
    10 months ago
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks for any input :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 months ago

It's impossible to say.

Chris H thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • ci_lantro
    10 months ago

The Delta is an inch larger left to right (25") vs 24" for the Elkay and the Delta is 1/2" deeper. Between the two, I would chose the Delta.

Chris H thanked ci_lantro
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    10 months ago

@ci_lantro that was the way I was leaning. The Delta also has a 1/2” slope towards the drain (9” on the drain side and 9 1/2” on the other) compared to the other. Seems they are pretty equal aside from these few things.

• wdccruise
    10 months ago

Have you looked at Kraus stainless steel kitchen sinks on build.com? Owners seem to really like them and they're reasonably priced. Home Depot sells them too.

Chris H thanked wdccruise
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

@wdccruise I did see the Kraus comparable one and it would be perfect except it has those 90 degree corners. Im not sure how annoying they are to clean. Would be nice as its less expensive!

• Chris H
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Can anyone speak to the reveal? Is this something that’s about function or asthetics? Counters will be granite. @Joseph Corlett, LLC @RCKsinks Inc. @ci_lantro @wdccruise

• Chris H
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC is there any reason a 27” sink would not work in a 36” base? Aside from maybe asthetics.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

Chris H: I can't think of any.

• M Miller
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I would not forego the larger sink when you have a 36” base cabinet. I cannot think of any reason to do so. There are so many sink models to choose from. I strongly advise against installing a 27” sink in a 36” base cabinet. If your reasoning is to save a couple of hundred dollars (I don’t know that is the reason, just guessing), keep in mind that a sink is the most used thing in a kitchen, is not easily changed out, and you will have it for years.

It is even more important to choose a larger sink when you are going for a workstation style which it appears you are. The workstation sinks have a ledge that hold the accessories; you will lose space inside the sink to that ledge. And the workstation accessories will be small in a 27” sink - too small. The accessories crowd the sink as it is, but even moreso when the sink is narrower by half a foot than it could be.

This Elkay EFRU30169RTWC seems like it offers a lot including the advantageous corner drain. https://www.build.com/elkay-efru30169rtwc/s1736858?uid=4109182&searchId=BGZzI8gzfH

This Kraus is less expensive. I think you were concerned with the corners. Note that Kraus states the corners are ”tight radius”, not ”0 radius”. I have pics somewhere that illustrate the difference. I’ll find them and post back. https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Kore-Workstation-32-inch-Undermount-16-Gauge-Single-Bowl-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Sink-with-Accessories-Pack-of-5-KWU110-32/310390321?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=ASuE1wSmC7srri5MK5kI4IU3W6112oP9p1l4XzAymSIGKbq1cOWfVjIdNm8

• M Miller
    9 months ago

I found my comment in another thread where I posted pictures that illustrate the difference between ”0 radius” corners and ”tight radius” corners. On the Kraus workstation sink KWU110-32 that I linked above, Kraus states the corners are tight radius. A sink with "0 radius" or "0°" corners are the ones that might be harder to clean. The tight radius corner is a nice compromise of still having a modern look without an extreme zero radius corner, while not having the very rounded corners of older-style sinks. Tight radius corners are not hard to clean.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6358370/32-33-inch-stainless-steel-sinks-nantucket-kraus-or-ruvati#n=18

Chris H thanked M Miller
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@M Miller thanks for this reply. We have a small kitchen and our old sink (smaller than 27”) seemed to work well for us so thats really what I was basing it on to preserve counter space. I’ll take a look at your links, appreciate it.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    9 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC they will be coming to measure for our granite counters on Wednesday. The template that came with our sink looks like its indicating zero radius corners for the sink cutout. What radius do you suggest (I recall this is not ideal, the R0)? If it matters our sink is R15 and is a workstation. As for a slight positive sink reveal, will they know this or should I give them some type of measurement? Like the way you can indicate corners by R0, R10, etc… and lastly, there is one corner where we have a small ”L” off the main counter run. Should this also NOT be a sharp corner, what radius is best? Thanks :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

With a granite top, you can do a zero radius in the sink corners, but I'd recommend the largest you can tolerate. Were it estone, you'd have to have 3/8" at least.

You'll have to tell them about the slightly positive sink reveal and they may not like it.

The larger the radius the better. If your top is profiled on a CNC machine, your inside corner radii are predetermined by the size of the tooling.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC is there a measurement I should tell them. Is 1/8” positive reveal good? When you say ”the largest you can tolerate“ are you referring to the sink cutout radius? And are you saying that if they are using that specific machine my radius will be whatever is part of the machine (meaning there really wont be a choice)?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

1/8" is fine. The sink cutout radii should be the largest you can tolerate. If your tops have the edges profiled on a CNC machine, the inside corner radii can only be as small as the fabricators tooling, about 2 1/4".

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC hoping you see this. Templater is here and our window is a smidge under 1/2” off center from the cabinet. He has asked if I want the sink centered on the cabinet and faucet on the window. This seems to make sense to me but wanted to check. He also wants to take our actual sink - is this common? He said the slight positive reveal is no problem also. Set up for reference.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

Center the sink in the cabinet please. The faucet will usually be angled which throws your eye off. Let him take the sink; he'll have no excuse if the cutout is off.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC great, thanks! Theyll also be doing the sink hole in my house once installed so itll be easier to make that decision but I dont think we will notice this discrepency. Appreciate your comment.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

"Theyll also be doing the sink hole in my house once installed..."

You're getting a top mount sink?

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC undermount. But he said they could do the sink hole at the stone place or the day of install. I dont have the faicet yet, maybe thats why?

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I mean Faucet hole

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC the granite place is going to install the sink. I was expecting we would do it so this is a welcome surprise. Maybe this is standard practice and we just didnt realize. At any rate, can you tell me what to look for? What can I expect them to adhere the sink with; silicone (I know about the sink straps)? Clear? When I asked for the slight positive reveal he said they could but also said ”the silicone will turn black”. Why would that happen and can we prevent it? Im assuming bacteria or mold but Id hope that isnt a problem.. Thanks!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

"When I asked for the slight positive reveal he said they could but also said ”the silicone will turn black”.

I have been retrofitting undermount sinks with straps and a slight positive reveal for 5 years or so and have never had a silicone joint turn black. Silicone "turns black" because of mold and mildew created by leaking clipped and blocked sinks.

Clear silicone is an excellent choice for mounting stainless steel sinks. While it does have adhesive properties, its function is primarily that of a gasket. The straps do the work of holding the sink.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC Ive been reading about granite installation and see sometimes they want to shim the counter. Are normal shims what we should expect if so? Is it the same silicone used on the sink? I dont want to be an annoying customer hanging over them (and they seem reliable) but I also dont want to come back here after install with issues I couldve educated myself on first. Onces again, thank you!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

Composite shims are much less compressive and more dimensionally stable than wood shims. Tops are siliconed to cabinets.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC which silicone do you suggest for the undermount sink?

• PRO
  • Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC just to confrim: the Hercules sink straps will work with a right rear drain?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

There is a Hercules Universal Sink Harness and there are Sink Straps. There aren't any Hercules Sink Straps. Either will work.

• Chris H
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Perfect. And the silicone used for the sink ia the same to be used for the faucet and the RO faucet?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 months ago

No silicone at faucets; they have gaskets.