Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinij

Can someone give me advice on a baseboard/door molding?

Hello,

I’m remodeling my house and like a style that is very simple and clean. minimalist-scandanavian. I’m putting in light whitewashed oak colored vinyl flooring and have medium height ceilings.

I dont like a lot of ornamental anything (which seems to be everywhere on my molding and baseboards now) what should i use ? what size for baseboard and what about trim around doors?

Should the whole house be the same color and sheen also for the baseboards and moldings ?

Thanks in advance !

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Can we see your spaces ? Waht is the actual height of the ceilings? I like a simple 4" wide trim around doors and eitehr that or 5" baseboards depending on height of ceiling. I like all my trim to be the same so a nice white in semigloss for trim , matte for walls and ceilings . If you like minmal I would use the same color for all just different sheens and that includes cabinets.

Christine Jaeckel thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • tupi2020
    last year

I'm not sure how extensive the remodel is, so this may not be practical, but for our new construction the architect is specifying a baseboard flush with the drywall with a 1/2" reveal. The doors will also be trimless with a small reveal. It's pretty minimalist, which we like.

Here are the construction details:

Christine Jaeckel thanked tupi2020
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

I view baseboard as functional, not decorative. I have plain 3-3/8" baseboard painted the same color as the walls. Same for door trim with painted doors bedrooms, but for doors that are stained wood door, I have it stained same color as the door stain. I have a rustic/naturalistic style. Baseboard and door trim that are different colors than walls are more of a fancy frou-frou look, not my style at all. There's really no right or wrong except just make sure it fits the overall style you're going for.

Christine Jaeckel thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • cat_ky
    last year

Since you are going for scandinavian style, you may want to stain all the woodwork, a lighter color. Its all up to you, but, all trim, should be the same.

Christine Jaeckel thanked cat_ky
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

This is ours. It’s very simple and not ornate at all. I think it’s the measurements Patricia shared.

• Christine Jaeckel
    Original Author
    last year

I really like this. this is what i want. do you by chance have a link to what you used ? Are the baseboards a little bigger than the door moldings or same size ? what are the measurements (if no link available?) thanks 🤩

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I believe it’s what Patricia said. Here is a screen shot from our design choices.

• Christine Jaeckel
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much !

• palimpsest
    last year

Just as an FYI, I did what tupi suggests, although my base does not have a rabbet it is just flush with the wall. Expensive, picky detail, takes fitting the baseboard in a single room from maybe a day to like a week. Very nice detail but pricey and must have a very good drywall/ trim person.

Most good wood/millwork suppliers (not the big box stores) will have base and casings with just a simple eased edge. I would not recommend using regular very square-edge stock.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Dusting is not hard

• Steve Grimes
    last year

Mouldings have standard designations that begin with WM. You can go through moulding catalogs and pick out ones that are seen above. The other option if you want something very simple is to have a trim carp install baseboard with a simple profile like a chamfer on top that he creates with a router

Christine Jaeckel thanked Steve Grimes
  • Christine Jaeckel
    Original Author
    last year

I‘m nearing the end of my house overhaul and nickel and diming myself to death. So many random things i still need (kitchen faucet, window coverings, another fan- oh and pantry shelves—too many !) so I’ll probably have this be more budget friendly but I understand more what I need and think I’m on the right track. Not having baseboards at the moment is taking the oohs and aahs out of my new flooring !

I really appreciate everyone offering advice ! Thank you 😀