Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_lee53

WANTED: sweet ciceley, sorrel, sweet fern, ground nut, rampion

michele lee
last year

Trade for postage or plant material, if I have anything you want that the voles and this winter's freeze/thaw cycles haven't killed!

I have:

skirret (root)

crosnes (tuber)

scorzonera (root)

good king henry (root/plant)

caucasian mountain spinach (root cutting)

seombadi/korean celery (root)

mentuccia romana (can root cuttings and mail)

miner's lettuce (seed)

breadbox poppy, pink (seed)

foxglove, purple/white (seed)

motherwort (seed)

and many other herbs/flowers I can take seeds or possibly divisions from...

Comments (7)

• michele lee
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. I do mean Apios americana. I have very sandy soil, sometimes damp naturally, but can be made damp through irrigation in a pinch (drought last year...). I have been a forager for years and am now obsessed with growing edible perennials. Are your tubers small because of your soil, lack of water or just the strain you have? I've heard some strains produce much larger roots than others, but have no experience with this plant myself. I am also interested in getting hog peanuts. I will get sorrel seeds from Fedco.

• Sigrid
    last year

Fedco will sell you Apios tubers, but you have to order pretty quickly after their winter tree catalog comes out. Things get sold out quickly. Oddball native perennials are in the tree catalogue. They often have interesting stuff at good prices but that stuff goes fast.

My Apios is wild and never watered. It's quite near a lake, but it doesn't seem like the roots go very deep. It does tend to sprawl all over the grass and other plants, so if you get some for a flower garden, you probably need to keep training it up a trellis, which is not its natural habit.

Because my Apios is wild, I have no idea about the strain, however, I've read that they tend to produce more small tubers rather than bigger ones. I've done some foraging myself and, in general, if there's a tasty food out there that grows wild and no one cultivates it, there's a reason. Now Apios isn't well known, possibly no one's bred a better behaved tuber, but the Wabanaki have been eating them for centuries. You'd think some human aid to evolution might have happened if it was easy or there were some that had genes for size.

• Judy Bougis
    last year

Hi! Looking to see if you still have some Good King Henry. I understand that's a vine, correct?

Imostly have seeds but I do believe we have some plants perennials that I can send cuttings of, like phlox, American Holly, Dogwood, Boxwood, Tiger Eye, Spirea, Privet, Forsythia and Black-Eyed Susan, if any interest you. Here is my seed list:

Cilantro (Burpee Organics brand)

Basil

Forget-Me-Not

Rosemary (2021)

Cantaloupe Burpee (2022)

Cantaloupe American Seed (2021)

Squash (Dark Green Zucchini)

Shasta Daisy

Cosmos, Bright Lighta/Mixed Colors (Burpee brand) - SPOKEN FOR

Harvested seeds:

Summer Squash, Black Beauty

Swiss Chard, Mix, resembles Bright Lights

Celosia Spicata (Flamingo Feather) ONLY TWO PACKETS LEFT

Zebrina Mallow – SPOKEN FOR

Butterfly Bush, mixed: lavender & white LOTS

Rose of Sharon: mixed: Lilac & white

King Humbert canna-yellow & w/grow 4-6' 2 TRADES LEFT

*I list changes regularly so keep posted for new additions/out of stock items

Thank you for the consideration.

• michele lee
    Original Author
    last year

I have Good King Henry; however, the ground here is frozen solid -- so, perhaps in a month or two? It is not a vine. You may be thinking of Caucasian Mountain Spinach, another perennial green that's gotten some notoriety lately. Good King Henry is an herbaceous plant that grows (at least for me) maybe 24'-36' tall -- probably taller in some climates. It is sometimes called "Poor Man's Asparagus," as the shoots are eaten in spring; later, the leaves are eaten, too. Let me know, in mid-April perhaps, if you still want some, and I'll dig up some roots (though I will say, too, that it is very easy to grow from seed).

• Judy Bougis
    last year

Bless you! Seeds or roots are fine & whenever. Of course, I will pay for postage. This will be a new crop for us. We're in Ohio, zone 6; what state are you in?

• Michele Lee
    last year

Judy, direct message me your address, and I'll actually just send you some seeds -- that makes more sense, since you'll get a harvest in the first year either way.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert