Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Key West question

teeda
last year

Good morning! After this awful cold snap, DH and I decided we needed a quick getaway somewhere warm. We wanted something with a direct flight and air mileage eligible so decided on Key West. I booked the flights and found lodging (3 nights in Key West, 4 nights in Key Largo) March 11-18. Then, oh no, I realized that this was Spring Break for lots of schools.

So I did a bunch of googling and travel forum perusing. Most people say Key West is not a Spring Break location and the town is strict about drinking age and not renting to under 25s. We're staying in a historic inn about a 15 minute walk from Duval Square and all the bars. Residential neighborhood. The Inn doesn't rent to young people. I'm not concerned about the Key Largo leg of the trip.

Anyone have experience or knowledge of Key West during Spring Break? We've been to Key West a couple of times during our kids school vacations in February so know the bar scene/restaurant is always crowded. We might go out one night to sample a couple of bars, but we'd be back to our room early I'm sure! I could reschedule it a week later, but not sure that would make much of a difference. Thanks!

Comments (35)

• deegw
    last year
    last modified: last year

I haven't been during Spring break but I think if you avoid Duval Street around Sloppy Joe's it shouldn't be too frightful. Honestly, I've seen more bad behavior from middle-aged adults and bachelor/bachelorette celebrations than I have from college kids.

We like Green Parrot. A little off mid-Duval. Popular but not too crazy. Definitely a bit of a dive.

I think the biggest issue would be trying to find seats at some of the more popular places.

teeda thanked deegw
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks dee!

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Me too dee, I'm really looking forward to it!

• eld6161
    last year

I agree to make your reservation for dinner now!

Enjoy.

teeda thanked eld6161
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Good idea. If anyone has reccs I’d love to hear. We haven’t been there in about 15 years.

• deegw
    last year

Off the top of my head - Santiago's Bodega, Blue Heaven, Eaton Street Seafood, Southernmost Beach Cafe, Pepe's, Onlywood, Cuban Coffee Queen and Alonzo's. Santiagos is a family favorite, it's hard to get into for dinner but lunch is much easier. Most of my suggestions are seafood heavy, we eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner when we go there.

For shopping, I love Bessame Mucho, which is near Blue Heaven and Santiago's. Tucker's Provisions and Key West Pottery on Duval are nice too.

teeda thanked deegw
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Those are almost the exact dates, 3 years ago, that i took my family to Key West for a catamaran charter. IME Key West is a bit of a party town. But it didnt feel overrun with students; too much trouble to get to for them id think .

teeda thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Dee, thank you so much! I've read great things about Santiago's, so I will make reservations there. Blue Heaven is the one restaurant I remember from our last visit years ago. DH had his first and last mojito there. Very powerfully made, lol. But we will return if we can get a seat. The t-shirt I bought him there is quite threadbare--time for a newer model. I have noted your other suggestions and will check them out.

Mtn, thanks for sharing your experience that week. Echoes what most people online have been saying. It's been a long time since we've been in any kind of party town atmosphere, so we shall see. I've already switched our lodging to somewhere a bit further from Duval street. Don't want to risk being kept up half the night.

Thanks again!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Have a wonderful time! We stayed at Simonton Court, a series of bungalows that were once tobacoo warehouses IIRC? Love it. So charming.

We had a lovely meal at Casa Marquesa

https://marquesa.com/cafe-marquesa/?utm_source=gmb-restaurant&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=gmb

and here

https://www.dateandthyme.com/

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Simonton Court is beautiful! Unfortunately they didn't have availability for what we wanted. Which was the case with most of the places we looked into this late. And thank you for the dining suggestion--just checked the website and plan to make a reservation tonight once we tighten up our itinerary. Thanks, Mtn!

• maggieq
    last year

We were just there in our RV. Friends who live there recommended Louie's Backyard (beautiful on the water, fanstastic food) and Bo's Fish Wagon - a dive but fabulous fish tacos.

teeda thanked maggieq
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks maggieq. We love seafood dives!

• cmm1964
    last year

I second Louies

teeda thanked cmm1964
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Louie's Backyard sounds like a definite. Just checked their Facebook page. Jimmy Buffet ate there 3 days ago.

• maggieq
    last year

JB has concerts in Key West Feb 9 and 11! Friends also recommended the Conch Train Tour (not the hop on/off). Said they learn something everytime they go.

teeda thanked maggieq
  • jsk
    last year

In 2020, right before C* shut down the world, we were in Key West. If I remember correctly, it was early March, so a little before you're going and maybe not quite spring break yet.

Key West proper was very crowded, but not with college kids. We walked around town a little bit and got the heck out and back to our resort. Just too crowded and too touristy for our taste.

We did love our resort and would go back in a second. We stayed at The Perry, which is actually right outside Key West on Stock Island. They have a free shuttle into Key West.

For food, we were not impressed with anything we had in Key West. We went to someplace we were told was the best restaurant there (sorry, don't remember the name). We were very disappointed. The food at The Perry, on the other hand, was outstanding.

I was actually looking at The Perry this morning. They're having a sale and thinking of convincing DH we should go for a few days in early September.

teeda thanked jsk
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

That's funny, JSK, that is exactly when we were there. In fact, when we headed out, people were just starting to talk about a virus, but everything was normal. When we came back maybe 10 days later, JFK airport was deserted and all of our kids' schools were closed. We spent the first few days in KW proper, and then we got on a catamaran at Stock Island. After our charter, we spent two days at The Perry. We liked it too, but the charm and history of Simonton Court was more our speed.

I agree that Key West is very touristy, or as i called it, a party town. It is fine for a change of scenery but a short stay is enough.

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, jsk. Staying in such a busy, touristy area is unusual for us but once we leave Key West we will be staying someone very laid back and quiet. So it might be a fun change for a few days. We hope to do a little snorkeling and I am very interested in the Hemingway house. I would really love to see his other residence Finca Vigia, but I can't get my husband interested in going to Cuba!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Oh, i forgot! On Allison's advice, we took a small seaplane to Dry Tortuga. Interesting place and quite good snorkelling; much better than our catamaran trip IMHO. A must.

https://keywestseaplanecharters.com/

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Mtn! We were looking at options for Dry Tortuga as the park service ferry sells out months ahead. Glad to hear you both recommend the seaplane!

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Sadly there is no seaplane availability until at least April 1, aargh. I put our names on a waiting list.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Drat

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

OMG, Teeda, try to change your husband's mind. I would love to see Cuba now. Not sure I will want to go (if I m still alive) once it really opens up and ends up completely changed with all the charming architecture gone. My DH would enjoy seeing all the old cars that people have kept since new ones aren't really available. My grandparents went there on their honeymoon back in the 19-teens, so I have always wanted to go.

teeda thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

That's just how I feel cyn. I guess I should push a little harder!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

If you need any Cuba travel info, LMK. We will be in Havana early March. Immigration can sound tricky but really isn't.

• teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Great--look forward to reading about your trip!

• Sueb20
    last year

I went to Key West several years ago with my two BFFs. We had so much fun, and it was in March but I don't remember seeing a ton of college kids. Plenty of middle aged people acting like college kids. We stayed at a hotel on the edge of town so it was quiet but we could walk to the "action." We did rent bikes one day, which was great. Easy riding, pretty flat as I recall. We loved exploring the side streets and cute houses. We had lunch, including key lime pie, at Blue Heaven. I wish I could remember what other restaurants we went to. I need to keep a travel journal.

Please visit the Garden of Eden rooftop bar. Just do it.

teeda thanked Sueb20
  • deegw
    last year

Sue, LOL about Garden of Eden rooftop. You are brave. I am not. The farthest I have gone is the second floor.

teeda thanked deegw
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

omg, Sue, just googled the Garden of Eden rooftop bar! I take it you were there? lol!

Glad to hear that you didn't encounter students, but I do hear you about crazy middle agers.

I believe our Inn provides bikes, so we will definitely do a bit of bike touring.

Thanks!

• Sueb20
    last year

The garden of eden is the funniest thing I have ever experienced in my whole life. BTW we kept our clothes on.

teeda thanked Sueb20
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

Okay, you've convinced me. Clothing on, of course!

• Sueb20
    last year

Don’t try to take pics. Don’t ask how I know.

teeda thanked Sueb20
  • teeda
    Original Author
    last year

I was actually wondering about that! Are you allowed to wear mirror sunglasses to people watch on the sly?

• Sueb20
    last year

No need to be sly. It’s a small space; you can’t not see the people. And their parts.

teeda thanked Sueb20