Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masteme

bottom trim for custom cabinet panel fridge

masteme
last year

For those of you that have custom panel fridges… what does the bottom trim look like? Did your builder use the black plastic piece that came with the fridge or did they make a custom wood piece to match the panels?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Many times refrigerators come with a recessed toe kick that is perforated as part of a ventilation system necessary for the proper operation of the refrigerator.

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

My cabinet maker made a custom toe-kick panel that matches the rest of the kitchen. It needs to be removable for service, and they had a difficult time getting it to stay in place, as it gets bumped when vacuuming. I ended up using a few blobs of Alcolin Museum/Quake Putty to keep it "stuck" in place.

For Sub-zero FD model the toe-kick has to be done with a cut-out section in the middle, per the installation specs.

• Iri
    last year

I had an integrated dishwasher that came with a toekick frame intended to hold a piece of custom cabinetry to match. A fridge should be no different. But remember that this view isn't one you see often.

• stiley
    last year

Here is ours; the fridge is Sub Zero. I'm interested to follow and see what others have. Since our floors are black and the toe kick is recessed pretty far back, this is not able to be seen unless you're laying on the floor.

• rdy2retire
    last year

I have a Subzero too and the cabinet maker or builder made a piece of white trim that is held on with magnets - . First pic - white toe kick of the fridge, second with the trim piece - it lands just below the vents on the metal toe kick.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Depends on how tall you are.

It isn't included in the factory spec sheets for most built in panel ready appliances.

• palimpsest
    last year

Because of sightlines it might be possible to see the toe kick from a normal sitting position from across the room. I could see that the old DW in my kitchen had no toe kick when I was sitting in the LR. I could not see it didn't have one from the kitchen. I don't think it's an irrelevant question, or trivial to think about what toe kicks look like.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

It is not an irrelevant question, or trivial to think about what toe kicks look like. It is one of the many countless details to be determined in building a home. But to illustrate the importance, next time you are at a friend's house, after leaving the house, turn to your spouse and say, "Weren't those pretty toe-kicks?" Watch the expression on their face.

• darbuka
    last year

I’ve got the black plastic strip under my paneled SZ. But, since my wood floors are a medium stain, and the fridge panel is a medium dark stain, the black strip isn’t noticable.

The black strip under the paneled dish washer is a (bit) more noticable, and bothered me at first. However, once I got over the ”new kitchen” experience, and stopped focusing on every minute detail, I haven’t given it another thought. When someone enters the kitchen, that’s not where their eyes go.

• palimpsest
    last year

If I turned to my spouse and said something about the toe-kicks, they would not be in the least surprised. That's what compatibility is, in my case.