Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikefriday

I'm not expecting anyone else to love it as much as me but I find this

ilikefriday
last year
last modified: last year

space intoxicating. I could look at it for hours.

The HOA fees are outrageous.

https://www.trulia.com/p/il/chicago/address-not-disclosed-chicago-il-60610--2103880437

Comments (34)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

The window, the floor, the fireplace, the stucco(?) - what's not to like?

Well, other than all those giant pillows on the bench that look like there's only room left for 1 sitter 😃

ilikefriday thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • deegw
    last year

Love the decor and the architectural details. The space gives me a bit of vertigo.

ilikefriday thanked deegw
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Those windows! the woodwork, the contrasts, the alcoves, the tile in the kitchen, the flooring, aside from all that, meh.

Really spectacular place. And nothing is gray ;-)

ilikefriday thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Kswl
    last year

That is a fantastic home! And incredibly reasonable, Is it a coop or condo? The HOA fees seem more in line with a coop, And they might be wrong—- agents make horrendous mistakes like that that are never corrected in the listing. I saw one a week ago that had double the actual monthly HOA fee on the MLS listing.

ilikefriday thanked Kswl
  • deegw
    last year

I wish the wall color had a tiny bit of warmth. I think the contrast between the warmth and all the bright white is throwing me off a bit.

ilikefriday thanked deegw
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I think one would need to see it in person, since photographs can shift color values.

And oh wow - I somehow missed that link in the OP! Is it a former church?

• bpath
    last year

The fireplace is charming there, but it doesn’t make sense.

What an interesting home! One could probably triangulate the ”.25 miles away”-type pictures to figure out where this is. If one were so inclined.

ilikefriday thanked bpath
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

What a bargain. I love the pic you showed. And the koi pond. Some of the colorful tile and galss work lost me.

ilikefriday thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • lisaam
    last year

Very cool details eveywhere. Amazing is not an overstatement here.

ilikefriday thanked lisaam
  • Jilly
    last year

I find it fabulous, it’s so wonderfully unrestricted. I like everything about it. Rooms I’ll keep going back to look at, in case I missed something.

ilikefriday thanked Jilly
  • LynnNM
    last year

It flows beautifully.

ilikefriday thanked LynnNM
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

I love almost all of it - that one bathroom and the bar cart at the top of the stairs (my risk management side is screaming) lost me though! The rug in the original post makes my heart flutter. Mostly what I love is the idea that if I lived in a place like that it would be because I have art in my bones and everyone would see that. Alas my bones are artless and my pretender self would be revealed.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

I think this was originally built as a sfh in the 1880's and then turned into art studios in the early to mid 1900's. The artists remodeled the space using remnants from mansions in the area that were being demolished. At some point, it was converted into 2 or 3 condos.

• blfenton
    last year

I am always a 180degree turn from you guys. This house doesn't flow and I can't even figure out if it's suppose to be MCM, Craftsman or Moor styling or simply a mash-up.

ilikefriday thanked blfenton
  • Kswl
    last year

I would have to gut the bathroom with all the crazy tile for my own mental health, and perhaps tone down some of the multicolored tile elsewhere, but i would leave all the flooring and windows and woodwork intact. This is a gorgeous, unique home that doesnt need anyone else’s **stamp** on it The furniture could be a bit more comfortable looking, but the lack of color in furnishings and paint is overall a very good way to highlight the architecture.

ilikefriday thanked Kswl
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I love it! thanks for sharing.

ilikefriday thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

OK, found the description. I think I immediately clicked on the photos before. I think the woodwork is very cool, but all the uneven tile in that one bathroom looks like it could be problematic - maybe even dangerous with sharp edges.

Does 'Bohemian Art Deco' seem fitting?

• lakeaffect_gw
    last year

A great deal of thought, passion and pure artistry went into that home, it’s just stunning. I love all of the tiled floors, especially the wild bathroom. I’m not a city person, at all, but would love to live there for a few months, just to experience living in such a grand, one of a kind place. Thanks for sharing, ilikefriday.

ilikefriday thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

I think bohemian art deco might be a style I love. I will have to Google.

• Tina Marie
    last year

It's a beautiful house! I could never live in Chicago though.

ilikefriday thanked Tina Marie
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

It's like nothing else I've seen! Not being able to see out of the windows would bother me.

ilikefriday thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Kswl
    last year

Annie, I was thinking the opposite— I LOVE the separate kitchen. Our house has a kitchen open to the largest living area and I don’t like it one bit. I don’t want to entertain in my kitchen and I want it out of the way and out of sight before and after meals! I am not adapting well to our open plan 🙁

ilikefriday thanked Kswl
  • gsciencechick
    last year

It's definitely a unique space! A lot of details and seems a mix of styles,but I love the woodwork and floors.

ilikefriday thanked gsciencechick
  • Allison0704
    last year

One could probably triangulate the ”.25 miles away”-type pictures to figure out where this is. If one were so inclined.

If you scroll down to nearby houses for sell, the house is on the map. Or is it? Not inclined to do more.

The tile treatments are way too much. While I appreciate the artistic design time, effort and talent, it does nothing for me.

ilikefriday thanked Allison0704
  • jakabedy
    last year

What a fantastical place!

:runs out to purchase PowerBall tickets :

ilikefriday thanked jakabedy
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for reminding me. That means there is hope! Powerful. How much is it???? LOL

• nicole___
    last year

It's BEAUTIFUL! Turn key ready! Your right about the HOA fee...I pay that a year for a gated community. I wonder how warm it would be? NY is so cold in the Winter. Super cute fireplace would keep me warm. 💕

ilikefriday thanked nicole___
  • User
    last year

wowwwwww. it's stunning!

how is it so inexpensive? address is not disclosed (but it states it's in Old Town). I wonder if it's located right next to something bad. transit tracks? a crackhouse?

ilikefriday thanked User
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

I really like it. So charming and unique and interesting. It's probably not what I would have picked for myself, but I could absolutely enjoy living there. Has such an artistic charm to it. The detailing is incredible.

ilikefriday thanked pricklypearcactus
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    last year

The address is 155 W Burton Sr, #2, Chicago. It isn't posted in the listing.

Some negatives are it is the largest, most expensive unit in the building. I think it is double the size of the other spaces.

HOA fees are ridiculous.

I don't think it has parking. In that neighborhood you might search for parking for close to an hour on some nights.

That being said I would still be overjoyed to live in a space like this.

• Lars
    last year

I agree with Tina Marie - I love the house but could never live in Chicago.

The property tax rate is a lot higher there than here in L.A.

ilikefriday thanked Lars
  • cawaps
    last year

Love it! So many unique details.

I see I wasn't the only one who would have preferred a bit warmer shade of white for the walls.

ilikefriday thanked cawaps
  • User
    last year

It's a beautiful home with so much architectural interest! Not what I would have expected to see in Chicago; I actually thought maybe the photo in the OP was perhaps from Spain or Morocco. Somewhere exotic!

ilikefriday thanked User
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH