Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcguirekitchenbath

Before & After - New England Victorian Kitchen

We enjoyed working on this late 1880's Melrose Victorian Home, in collaboration with J. Bradley Architects, and Suburban Construction. Our designer, Jenni Jacobs, finessed the cabinetry layout, accessories and finishes, and stayed involved throughout the construction and installation phase. We used slate blue lower cabinets, stained Cherry wood cabinetry on wall cabinetry, reeded glass and wood mullion details, quartz countertops, polished nickel faucet and hardware, Wolf range and ventilation hood, a tin ceiling, and crown molding. We love how the new kitchen is open and bright, and worthy of the home's rich Victorian character.

The project folder is on our profile, and here is the blog link with details - Victorian Kitchen Collaboration

Let us know what you think!

Victorian Kitchen Collaboration in Melrose MA · More Info

BEFORE: Facing main wall - with old location for sink

AFTER: Facing main wall - with the Wolf range as a focal point

AFTER: Facing sink wall

AFTER: Reeded glass center panel cabinets on either side of range.

AFTER: Beverage center and tall pantry opposite main wall

Comments (17)

• Linda Dornan
    last year

It’s beautiful!

McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath thanked Linda Dornan
  • PRO
    McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much! @RedRyder - The color is Sherwin Williams Slate.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you @Linda Dornan!

• arcy_gw
    last year
    last modified: last year

No can't do that two tone. Looks like it's still in process. Which will it be blue or wood. I liked the white it was a lot. Resale on these kitchens is very poor. People are not wanting to have to fix the mess.

• Kendrah
    last year

I also thought that the after pic was the before because those two tones of cabinets don't really make sense to me, nor that color of the wood ceiling trim. I also don't get so many cabinets that go all the way to the counter. You can't open them if you have something on the counter, which makes the counterspace somewhat non-functional. Better not want to set the table while you are still cooking and using the counters.

Still, it is a really spacious layout, the blue uppers with the glass and cross pattern rails are beautiful, the chairs are fantastic with the blue, and the valances are freaking adorable.

I don't think this would be a resale problem. If I were moving into this house I'd just paint the wood ceiling trim white and wood cabinets white or blue. I'd put things I almost never use in the the cabinets that go to the countertops. The space as a whole is beautifil.

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

@Kendrah Thank you for your feedback! Yes, those valances are adorable, and the red pom poms are definitely a nod to the range's knobs! Our clients really love their mixed cabinetry finishes, to bring in a pop of color, while featuring the warm cherry that carries into the adjoining rooms. They're looking forward to enjoying many years in their dream kitchen!

• artemis_ma
    last year

This truly beautiful and outstanding!!!

• PRO
    Original Author
    last year

@artemis_ma Thanks so much!

• anna_682
    last year

Bespoke and beautiful. I am tired of seeing the same kitchen in almost every post.

• Terri Clark
    last year

Gorgeous and love the blue and wood!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Love the pressed tin ceiling. Also love the combination of blue base cabinets and wood upper cabinets. Great job!

• Maureen
    last year

Glad client is thrilled and I usually like a two tone kitchen. I’m sure in person it’s lovely, but based on pictures I can’t quite put my finger on why I feel this kitchen has a slight identity crisis. It may be the ceiling and quaint curtains contrasting modern/starker choices and perhaps where/how the blue vs wood was used.

I find this kitchen for example pulls together quaint/modern and two tone well.

• PRO
  • PRO
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much @anna_682!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

Obsessed!

McGuire + Co. Kitchen & Bath thanked FrameMyMirror
  • PRO