Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hadeal_s

Help! Small kitchen design layout, any thoughts

Hadeal Ali
last year
last modified: last year

Looking to make this my kitchen more functional and clean and seamless. i cook alot but im also a baker. i have a small home business and bake a ton! two kids so 4 in the house total plus a cat. biggest problem do i keep my range and stove top combo and have a microwave above the cooke

top similar to the photos and full pantry on the otherside of the wall near the one upper and lower cabinet or do i go for what i always wanted a wall oven and wall microwave with a pantry next to it possibly creating less of a clearance for walk through.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

If you want help here post a to scale floor plan all windows , doorways where those lead . All measurements clearly marked post in a comment here do not start another post make sure it is in Jpeg format. Is your job baking ? The pics you posted are not helpful reall since we have no clue as to the size of the kitchen

• Andee
    last year

Can you also tell us about your current layout and what is _not_ functioning? I do notice in the above pictures that there is little to no landing space when you take items out of the fridge or the oven. If you are a baker, you will need a place to move items from the oven to a surface.

• ptreckel
    last year

Consider switching the pantry and the stacked ovens so that the pantry is between the two appliances. Door swing on the fridge?? (Is that a wall to its right?). Landing space for items from the ovens? What about a microwave drawer? We need to see the entire plan. Note: I have a lot of dents in my stainless fridge door from the handles of the oven when it is pulled down. That is why I suggest that you separate them.

• felizlady
    last year

When planning a kitchen with an island where you will be doing most of your prep work, I suggest using semi-circle cut-out finger pulls on any drawer-fronts…..no knobs to catch on your apron or pocket.

• herbflavor
    last year

question arises why aren't you extending the counter to right of sink....open space it appears. Show the diagram of your space from the top w all walls and openings and adjacent spaces. You need to capitalize on function based on stated needs.....not sure this is the best plan for you.

• Hadeal Ali
    Original Author
    last year

This is a rough estimate of the size of my kitchen. Done by a professional but the dimensions are still off. My house is much smaller than it seems. Everyone open area is either opened to a walkthrough a staircase or a room or garage door.

• Hadeal Ali
    Original Author
    last year

Andee as far as seeing what I’m working with now. It’s just very much falling apart. first pic is what we moved into 5 years ago. I’ve done phase 1 and phase 2 of what I can. But it’s time to fully remodel. Any thoughts are gratefully appreciated

• sheloveslayouts
    last year

Where is the dining area? Have you considered swapping kitchen and dinig altogether?

When it comes to these kitchens that act as grand central station for a home, the major intersection is best suited for a dining room with traffic circulating around a table while the dining room is better suited for a kitchen with no through traffic.

If you can sketch out the whole first floor with some dimensions we can brainstorm.

It doesn't cost anything to toss around big ideas that might result in a better solution.

Hadeal Ali thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Hadeal Ali
    Original Author
    last year

We’ve been there many times and actually hired a designer and after 750$ later we have decided the kitchen won’t work in any other areas of the house. Although it would seem more spacious or possibly have an island. The dimensions are just not there to help us out. This room is where the kitchen is and where the kitchen will stay. Would just love any ideas that get me thinking more. When I feel like I have the design set. A new idea comes up and it’s a great one. Now I’m considering putting an upper and lower between the fridge and pantry against that wall. Keeps some corners away from kids running into it. As well as a coffee nook or to place ur drink when getting one from fridge. Any thoughts!?

This is the idea. But smaller in scale obviously

• Hadeal Ali
    Original Author
    last year

Herbflavor the reason we are not extending the counter to the right of the sink is because thats a walkway to the upstairs and the other side of the sink is facing the kitchen tsble

• Terri Clark
    last year

Personally I would go with a slide in range instead of wall oven so that you could do the uppers and lowers between fridge and pantry so that you can fit the landing space in.

• roarah
    last year

I agree with terri, in small kichens a range looks and functions best. I sear meat and would hate having to carry the meat from the stovetop to the ovens.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Small kitchens-In my opinion- do not have room for wall ovens. I do not see any landing places for something coming out of the oven or fridge except you crossing over a major walkway. Best to go with a slide in range with oven and get rid of the wall ovens and put cabinets. Also consider going with a 12/15" deep pantry floor to ceiling then the fridge then upper and lower cabinets. 12" or 15" depth pantry fits A LOT of stuff. It also may allow you to use all the fridge wall and still have clearance to the doorways.

• theresa21
    last year

I think I would place the DW on the right side of the sink (as you have indicated in your design illustrations), so that the DW is out of the corner. I would move the range more to the left, so that there is a wider prep area between the range and the sink. I would not put the fridge in the corner, because of door swing, I would instead put a 12" - 15" deep pantry to the left of the fridge to open up the walkway a bit more and a countertop landing space on the right side of the fridge. I would opt for a MW (countertop, upper cabinet or MW drawer) somewhere in the area to the right of the fridge.

• lepstein
    last year

In my area, it has become popular to put the microwave above the cooktop/range. I would NEVER do this as, unless you are very tall, you are pulling hot food down over your head. Very dangerous. Even your microwave shelf is not very safe. I am moving into a rental apartment with the micro above the stove soon. I will never use that microwave. Don't do it.

• Mrs Pete
    last year
    last modified: last year

If you want help here post a to scale floor plan all windows , doorways where those lead . All measurements clearly marked

Yes, more details = better advice.

switching the pantry and the stacked ovens so that the pantry is between the two appliances. Door swing on the fridge??

Do you have any pantry options elsewhere? Like, could you install a pretty cabinet in a dining area just outside the kitchen?

In a kitchen this size, you don't have space for stacked ovens. Don't. Have. Space ... accept what must be and move forward. Go with a simple range. This from a person who's been baking wedding cakes four decades.

I love a French door fridge ... but in this position, the left side door creates a barrier to the rest of the kitchen. Also, you won't be able to fully open the right side door because it's scootched up against the wall.

Small kitchens-In my opinion- do not have room for wall ovens.

Not just your opinion -- fact.

In my area, it has become popular to put the microwave above the cooktop/range. I would NEVER do this as, unless you are very tall, you are pulling hot food down over your head. Very dangerous. Even your microwave shelf is not very safe. I am moving into a rental apartment with the micro above the stove soon. I will never use that microwave. Don't do it.

Microwaves over the range aren't ideal -- totally agree -- but sometimes you have to do what you can do. First, I'd ask, do you really need a microwave? Personally, I use mine so seldom -- if it were to disappear, I would barely notice. Or, if you don't use it much, could you go with a small-small model like the ones meant for a dorm room? You could conceal it in a cabinet and still have space for other things on that shelf. Second, my daughter has this type of microwave, and I don't outright hate it.

Okay, now my own thoughts:

- First let's bring the obvious out into the light: This is always going to be a modest kitchen. Start by decluttering; if you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it.

- I know, I know, as a wedding cake baker I have pans that I haven't used in a year -- but I won't give them to Goodwill. I do, however, keep my unusual sizes /seldom-used pans in the attic. Again, could you add a china cabinet of some sort in the dining room, the bottom shelf being dedicated to cake pan storage? Or, if that's not big enough for your large pans, pretty baskets could conceal pans on top of a hutch.

- This is a small kitchen, but it is "enough" if you don't have a bunch of stuff sitting out cluttering the countertops. To avoid this, I'd go with a range where you're showing the cooktop ... and make this area the main work space. Keep the tall pantry cabinet as shown ... move the fridge to the middle spot ... and go with an upper/lower cabinet on the other side /this is where you'll keep your "always-outs" such as the coffee pot, cookie jar, etc.

- You say you're a baker, but we haven't discussed your mixer. Where do you see it living? I'd think it'd end up to the left of the range, which isn't ideal but also isn't horrible.

- I don't love the fancy range hood ... in such a small space, I'd rather see something more streamlined. You don't have space for a standout star.

- I assume you have lots of baking pans. I'd put them in the cabinet above the refrigerator.

- I see you have a small cabinet between the cooktop and sink ... and a fairly small drawer stack to the left of the cooktop. I'd take one BIG cabinet over two SMALL cabinets ... every cabinet loses "side space" to the necessary hardware, so one BIG BOY stores more than two little boys.

- What are your corner and sink dimensions? I'd really like to see you work a lazy susan into that corner. Alternately, you say the dining area is on the other side of the sink? So you could have a cabinet opening towards the dining area? It would be useful for lesser-used items like paper products or small appliances.

- With so little storage space, I'd want toe kick drawers under the cabinets.

• Kendrah
    last year

I have quite a contrasting opinion as someone who has mostly lived in apartments or had small kitchens, and I also ran a catering business out of my tiny home kitchens that were much smaller than yours:

1. Hell yes get a double oven! You cook a lot and have a small baking business. Most people get double ovens and use them a few times a year at the holidays. That is not your case. You will get so much use out of them and it will really change how much time you are spending on your baking. Where there is a will there is a way!

2. When a kitchen is as small as yours you can liberate yourself from ideas like a work triangle or not having to walk across the kitchen to set something down from the oven. Everything is just a few steps away anyway.

3. Counterspace is precious. I would not get a station station or appliance garage that requires you to have a clear countertop in order to open doors or access something inside. Those kinds of areas are for kitchens with so much real estate that you don't have to be practical.

4. Forget about islands. Not every kitchen can fit one and that is absolutely fine.

What part of the country do you live in and what style house? I'd do a specific search for pics of small kitchen in your area and your kind of build. Too many inspiration pics are for medium sized or large kitchens and you want to zoom in on what will work for you.

• Kendrah
    last year

Here are a few pics of small kitchens with double ovens. The layout likely doesn't translate to your space, but hopefully these will be a motivation for double ovens! Also, could you do a slide in range and have another wall oven and mircowave above it elsewhere? Or, put your microwave in a pantry cabinet - I did that and it worked really well. More of my yammering below!

Small galley kitchen reconfiguration in Los Angeles · More Info

Proud to be a Galley Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Rockwood Colonial Larchmont · More Info

Small White "L" Shaped Kitchen in Naperville by Adam Hartig AKBD · More Info

Africa White Maple Kitchen · More Info

• tracie_erin
    last year

I would go with the range, and slide the range farther away from the sink in order to maximize that valuable prep space between the range and sink. I believe the minimum landing space on one side of range is 12", but since that's a walkway, I wouldn't do less than 15".

I also agree that you should have an upper and lower on the fridge wall, but make sure it's on one end or the other, ideally with the fridge in the middle - you don't want it sandwiched between the pantry and fridge because you will have no elbow room and it will become an inconvenient black hole. I would put the microwave on an open shelf in said upper.

• Hadeal Ali
    Original Author
    last year

Tracie_erin about the elbow room that is my concern. However we drink coffee constantly here so that could b a nice coffee nook with a pull out trash for the lower. Trying to b practical here. I’m going with a Lowe’s consultation and will update you all. I appreciate all the advice so much! And yesssss I would love and benefit from a double wall oven but I don’t have the square feet for it sadly.

• felizlady
    last year

A microwave above the cooktop will need constant cleaning. I like a countertop microwave because, when/if it dies, it will be very easy to replace. I would replace the countertop range with a stove (range top plus a third oven) since you use your kitchen in your business.